BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Locked up my allocation!

06-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #23
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

For now I am PPF’ing the front bumper/grill and 16” up the hood, then down the front quarters from the hood which is about the midpoint of the wheel well. Then the mirror caps and A pillars.

I am considering adding the rocker panels, whole hood and rear quarters. I took the car out late last night after massive rains all day to see where the leaves and bits would stick on the car. Turns out a lot of stuff sticks all over the rockers and some even went above the factory applied rear quarters PPF. I will get some pics so you can see.
Attached Images

Last edited by IcewaterPete; 06-29-2021 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #24
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I should add that this is my first car with super sticky tires and it is shocking how many tiny little stones this thing throughs up. On the crapping Midwest roads it’s a constant “tink tink” of little bits hitting the car even in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #25
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Nice info, thanks for the pics.
Of course the best thing about that post is you're out driving your M2C and enjoying it :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #26
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Of course the best thing about that post is you're out driving your M2C and enjoying it :-)
You bet! My philosophy is buy it to enjoy it as intended on the road and track. I’m loving this one! And to quote Jay Leno “German car guys brag about how many miles they have on their cars....Italian car guys brag about how few miles they have”.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #27
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
I should add that this is my first car with super sticky tires and it is shocking how many tiny little stones this thing throughs up. On the crapping Midwest roads it’s a constant “tink tink” of little bits hitting the car even in a straight line.
While I believe this is a combination of tires and wide fenders a big source of the "tink tink" noise are the plastic wheel well liners in the rear. Almost all non-M cars have felt/foam lined rear wheel wells which reduces the "tink tink" (combined with more sound proofing inside the car over the wheel well).

The M2 rear wheel well liners are unique to the M2 (M235i and M240i have the foam/felt material) and they embossed "M2" for some reason (even with the wheel off you won't notice this detail unless you shine some light up to the top).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
imOFP210.50
      07-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #28
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
While I believe this is a combination of tires and wide fenders a big source of the "tink tink" noise are the plastic wheel well liners in the rear. Almost all non-M cars have felt/foam lined rear wheel wells which reduces the "tink tink" (combined with more sound proofing inside the car over the wheel well).

The M2 rear wheel well liners are unique to the M2 (M235i and M240i have the foam/felt material) and they embossed "M2" for some reason (even with the wheel off you won't notice this detail unless you shine some light up to the top).
I had no idea. Thanks for the info and pic. That makes me feel a little better about all that sound knowing it’s not all hitting the paint!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
If you're doing ppf have them remove the factory piece on the rear fender and replace it with a larger one that goes all the way up to the hard body line that's above the fender and goes to the tail light. The hard body line will help hide the ppf edge. The ppf should cover from the edge of the door to the edge of the rear fender panel. Then get them to put a piece behind the rear tires on the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #30
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you're doing ppf have them remove the factory piece on the rear fender and replace it with a larger one that goes all the way up to the hard body line that's above the fender and goes to the tail light. The hard body line will help hide the ppf edge. The ppf should cover from the edge of the door to the edge of the rear fender panel. Then get them to put a piece behind the rear tires on the bumper.
Thanks!!! Great info.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #31
phriz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
You bet! My philosophy is buy it to enjoy it as intended on the road and track. I'm loving this one! And to quote Jay Leno "German car guys brag about how many miles they have on their cars....Italian car guys brag about how few miles they have".
This! I hit my break-in mileage just 2 weeks after delivery, and a lot of friends and colleagues have suggested I slow down and keep the mileage low. Sorry, I bought this car to drive it! And every mile so far has been an absolute thrill. I can't wait to hear what you think when you can finally rev the engine out to redline.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50