BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > 2017 M2 Autocross Setup Recommendations

03-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Good day everyone. I'm in the process of setting up my F87 for Autocross. I'm looking for feedback/recommendations for a competitive set up.

I have a set of 18 x 10 et 33 rims for a squared setup. I will be running 275/35/18 tire. I also have a 12mm spacer for the front. I also have a heavy duty stud kit.

I'm putting Ohlins Coilovers. The spring rates 90nm front and a 230nm on the rear. Ground control camber plates for negative camber.

with this as my base, will I need sways? what kind of alignment specs do I need to aim for? Is corner balancing needed for a good Autocross car?

Any feedback from everyone who Autocrosses will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Hate to say "it depends" but that's the correct answer. Are you looking to autocross with a specific group in a specific class? What mods you can do varies greatly club to club. If you are modding before you have a club & class in mind just be careful not to bump yourself into a class that is empty and possibly no fun or requires hoosiers to be competitive. I did that with my last car. Slapped on coilovers before I got serious with autox and was bumped from SCCA A Street to A Street Prepared where I was woefully underprepared vs the rule allowances and really on a desert island by myself. It sucked. SCCA B Street prepped M2 are super fun and there is awesome competition in that class. And the SCCA has a Champ tour event in your area (you lucky dog).

There is a long running thread specifically on SCCA B Street prepared M2 here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1419810

I think the M2 MIGHT be eligible for Street Touring classes for 2021 which accommodate mods like coilovers... but after going down that road I'm not willing to go back. Plenty of work do be done in the driver-mod area for me haha
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Hate to say "it depends" but that's the correct answer. Are you looking to autocross with a specific group in a specific class? What mods you can do varies greatly club to club. If you are modding before you have a club & class in mind just be careful not to bump yourself into a class that is empty and possibly no fun or requires hoosiers to be competitive. I did that with my last car. Slapped on coilovers before I got serious with autox and was bumped from SCCA A Street to A Street Prepared where I was woefully underprepared vs the rule allowances and really on a desert island by myself. It sucked. SCCA B Street prepped M2 are super fun and there is awesome competition in that class. And the SCCA has a Champ tour event in your area (you lucky dog).

There is a long running thread specifically on SCCA B Street prepared M2 here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1419810

I think the M2 MIGHT be eligible for Street Touring classes for 2021 which accommodate mods like coilovers... but after going down that road I'm not willing to go back. Plenty of work do be done in the driver-mod area for me haha
Thank you, in the SCCA it would be in the STO Class. For BMWCCA I believe it's E class.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
For my 2017 M2 I choose to stay B-stock and used 275/35-18's as a square set up. I also used a Dinan front sway bar. This was a good set up for stock however I would like to have felt how the car did with coil overs.

I now have a 21M2C and am trying to figure out the best solution for AutoX. The 2NH brakes are a PITA because you can't run 18" wheels and the tires are limited for 19".
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
feconi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

For my B-street M2C I am running a whiteline adjustable front bar with 265/285 RE-71Rs on stock sized Forgelines. I’m happy with the setup for a camber limited stock car. I’ll likely move to 255/275 A052s once the REs are used up.
Appreciate 1
kvndvs59.00
      03-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Autocross setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndvs View Post
For my 2017 M2 I choose to stay B-stock and used 275/35-18's as a square set up. I also used a Dinan front sway bar. This was a good set up for stock however I would like to have felt how the car did with coil overs.

I now have a 21M2C and am trying to figure out the best solution for AutoX. The 2NH brakes are a PITA because you can't run 18" wheels and the tires are limited for 19".
I have heard of M2cs owners changing the breaks out for the Blue Calipers just to fit an 18 x 10 square setup for Autocross. When I informed my mechanic I was looking to trade in my M235i I advised I look specifically for a n55 F87.

He mentioned the brakes as one of the issues.
Appreciate 0