BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

09-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #1233
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Even if you missed the fluffy seat covers joke, I hope that at least it made you smile.
(You got a snicker out of me.)

Yes, perforation like that would help. I like the red stitching in these pics, Subtle. The other photos you posted from the M4 CS with the BMW M color stripes were a bit loud for me. But ohhh, the shape of the M4 seats. They remind me of the E36 M3 Vaders.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #1234
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Even if you missed the fluffy seat covers joke, I hope that at least it made you smile.

Whether you prefer perforated or non-perforated is a personal choice. I can't help you with that. Quite likely your local BMW Genius can.

Let's just trust that, as usual, BMW did its homework properly about long-term use or the consequences of spilling food or beverages on perforated "M2 Competition" seats.

Here's an example of Black Dakota Leather with perforation and red contrast stitching on a BMW F48 X1 (it's an option).

As you can notice, some parts are perforated (see especially the upper seat parts), not all (see especially the lower seat parts).
I did LOL... but I was waiting for your wisdom also.

I've never seen them in the flesh, so I'll start popping into the dealer in advance to see if I can spot them. So sounds like you're saying that the longevity issue isn't much of a concern. Then does it just come down to esthetics, whether you like their look vs. regular leather?

Any downsides to the perforated seats then?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #1235
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Any downsides to the perforated seats then?
Free suggestion:
  • take your significant other inside your "M2 Competition" to your favorite twisties;
  • floor the throttle and brakes 'ad nauseam' [pun intended];
  • *barf*, there goes your significant other, finally vomiting all over your fancy perforated seats;
  • look, there you are, next to some mountain road in the middle of nowhere, painstakingly cleaning up the mess with way too few paper tissues (kindly provided by your significant other).
The next day:
  • friend: "Hey, why do some of those holes in that seat look a little white-ish ?"
  • Lotus99: "Uh, let's leave that to a story of pulling G's through the S'es and some animated bowl movement".
      09-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #1236
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Free suggestion:
  • take your significant other inside your "M2 Competition" to your favorite twisties;
  • floor the throttle and brakes 'ad nauseam' [pun intended];
  • *barf*, there goes your significant other, finally vomiting all over your fancy perforated seats;
  • look, there you are, next to some mountain road in the middle of nowhere, painstakingly cleaning up the mess with way too few paper tissues (kindly provided by your significant other).
The next day:
  • friend: "Hey, why do some of those holes in that seat look a little white-ish ?"
  • Lotus99: "Uh, let's leave that to a story of pulling G's through the S'es and some animated bowl movement".
Thanks for painting that picture. So I guess you are recommending non-perforated seats and rubber floor mats then?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #1237
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

LOL. Against the upside of not having a hot, sweaty back and butt!

Lessons learned:

No food/drinks ever allowed in the car.
No passengers allowed with full stomachs when doing twisties
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #1238
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Thanks for painting that picture. So I guess you are recommending non-perforated seats and rubber floor mats then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
LOL. Against the upside of not having a hot, sweaty back and butt!
Lessons learned:
No food/drinks ever allowed in the car.
No passengers allowed with full stomachs when doing twisties
My daughter enjoys eating Pringles and TUC cookies in her booster seats in my cars. Those crumbles creep everywhere. Always find those around when I wash my cars (which, I admit, happens only a few times a year). Though during those few cleaning sessions I usually find more small pebbles than crumbles in the back part of my M2 (those all enter through my open sliding roof and all-open side windows each time I take my car to the mountains: tick-tick-tick).

BMW is smart enough to keep the seating part and lower back part of perforated seats 'non-perforated'. Otherwise you'd risk what you see below (picture of a 2014 KIA Forte EX perforated seat - not my car). If the vacuum cleaner fails to get rid of the perforation 'fillers', start saving toothpicks or compressed air bottles for removal purposes. And beware if you got an OCD tendency not standing any single perforation 'filled'. .

Name:  PerforatedSeats_Crumbles.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  121.0 KB

Compare with the smart BMW design (gradually increasing from middle to top part):

09-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #1239
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My daughter enjoys eating Pringles and TUC cookies in her booster seats in my cars. Those crumbles creep everywhere. Always find those around when I wash my cars (which, I admit, happens only a few times a year). Though during those few cleaning sessions I usually find more small pebbles than crumbles in the back part of my M2 (those all enter through my open sliding roof and all-open side windows each time I take my car to the mountains: tick-tick-tick).

BMW is smart enough to keep the seating part and lower back part of perforated seats 'non-perforated'. Otherwise you'd risk what you see below (picture of a 2014 KIA Forte EX perforated seat - not my car). If the vacuum cleaner fails to get rid of the perforation 'fillers', start saving toothpicks or compressed air bottles for removal purposes. And beware if you got an OCD tendency not standing any single perforation 'filled'. .

Compare with the smart BMW design (gradually increasing from middle to top part):
risk notwithstanding... I'm starting to like these perforated seats…

They seem like they don't have much of a drawback compared to the regular leather seats, and a whole bunch of positives. I still have a nagging feeling that perforated leather will not be as durable as solid. Luckily, I only drive 5 to 7,000 miles a year, so the seats won't get a ton of butt-time.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #1240
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CSL View Post
Can't wait to not be able to put all that extra power down!
One would expect the M2 Competition to receive the same updates ala M3/M4 Competition Pack/CS to allow it to do so.
Actually, being the update to the update .. I would expect the next iteration of M electric steering, to be better than the last and the suspension more dialed in on an M2 further progress compared to the M4 CS.. which is better than the M2 which is better than the original M4 Etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #1241
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Sorry if i missed this somewhere, but is there a date when they will be doing an official release of details on the M2 CS and MY19 M2? thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #1242
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinemavrik View Post
if we are to go by the BMW M official website, then these are the M Sports Seats(option 712)
For a track car, I just don't understand why BMW would pick these seats....the fixed headrest will push your helmet/head forward and there is no place to thread your harness belts. In the current M2, I flip the headrest backwards and run my Schroth harness between the headrest supports....works fine.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      09-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #1243
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

New details, I think - or at least ones that are "confirmed" by another BMW website (BMW Blog):
  • Car definitely will be called M2 Competition and will be sold alongside M2.
  • M2 Competition will be unveiled late 2018 and go on sale early 2019.
  • Silver Hockenheim and Sunset Orange for sure, along with four regular M2 colors.
  • Base price at least $10K more than M2 - and possibly $15K.

Another source says Leipzig has the current M2 being produced through Model Year 2020. If anyone can identify the owner of this website (www.bimmer.org), and whether or not it has an official tie to BMW, let us know. (Artemis?) It is associated with Bimmer.Work and keeps track of the VINs of every BMW ever made, in German and English: http://www.bmwarchive.org/e-code/f87.html.

As always, YRMV (Your Rumor May Vary).
Appreciate 1
moonluv8102494.00
      09-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #1244
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
New details, I think - or at least ones that are "confirmed" by another BMW website (BMW Blog):
  • Car definitely will be called M2 Competition and will be sold alongside M2.
  • M2 Competition will be unveiled late 2018 and go on sale early 2019.
  • Silver Hockenheim and Sunset Orange for sure, along with four regular M2 colors.
  • Base price at least $10K more than M2 - and possibly $15K.

Another source says Leipzig has the current M2 being produced through Model Year 2020. If anyone can identify the owner of this website (www.bimmer.org), and whether or not it has an official tie to BMW, let us know. (Artemis?) It is associated with Bimmer.Work and keeps track of the VINs of every BMW ever made, in German and English: http://www.bmwarchive.org/e-code/f87.html.

As always, YRMV (Your Rumor May Vary).
Not everything in that report from BMWblog is correct

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #1245
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Silver Hockenheim and Sunset Orange for sure, along with four regular M2 colors.
I noticed that BMWBlog wrote in an article earlier this week that the "M2 Competition" will also be available in Mineral Grey ("the supped up M2 will also introduce new colors to the lineup. One of them is Silver Hockenheim, while the other is a flashier one – Sunset Orange. The M2 CS will continue to be offered in Alpine White, Black Sapphire, Mineral Grey and Long Beach Blue Metallic.").

FWIW: to my knowledge, the number of "M2 Competition" test mules with Mineral Grey body color = zero.

Quote:
M2 Competition will be unveiled late 2018 and go on sale early 2019.
Beware of the difference between calendar year and BMW model year. For example, MY2019 starts in Summer 2018.

The "M2 Competition" is a rarely spotted bird. Likely on the basis of some augury, orniscopy and know how, ynguldyn managed to report the following in a recent post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
PR campaign M2 Competitions are about to be built. This means the vehicle is going public just before or after the holidays.
Next point:
Quote:
Another source says Leipzig has the current M2 being produced through Model Year 2020. If anyone can identify the owner of this website (www.bimmer.org), and whether or not it has an official tie to BMW, let us know. (Artemis?) It is associated with Bimmer.Work and keeps track of the VINs of every BMW ever made, in German and English: http://www.bmwarchive.org/e-code/f87.html
2020 as 'end of production' for the F87 M2 is old news (and "F87" can include variants too).

Maybe the source read it here: see my post of December 2015: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0#post18997810 ("First generation BMW M2 production: 2015-2020") ?

Already a long time ago I included it in the manuals sticky: (see: BMW M2 Production Info: here (English) | here (German)).

Also mentioned it numerous times in the past: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sea...rchid=52654583
      09-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #1246
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Quote:
if we are to go by the BMW M official website, then these are the M Sports Seats(option 712)
For a track car, I just don't understand why BMW would pick these seats....the fixed headrest will push your helmet/head forward and there is no place to thread your harness belts. In the current M2, I flip the headrest backwards and run my Schroth harness between the headrest supports....works fine.
For a track car... you should put in real seats
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #1247
machinemavrik
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Potential Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
PR campaign M2 Competitions are about to be built. This means the vehicle is going public just before or after the holidays.
According to this, schedule could be as follows:
Production Reveal at NAIAS 2018(maybe LA 2017)*
Orders Books Open Jan 2018
Production Starts March 2018
Deliveries May/June 2018

Recent BMW M production reveal history at NAIAS:
2017 show M6 GT3
2016 show M2
2015 show M6 refresh
2014 show M3, M4
2013 show M6 GC

Recent BMW M production reveal history at LA Auto Show:
2014 show X5 M, X6 M
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #1248
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
According to this, schedule could be as follows:
Production Reveal at NAIAS 2018(maybe LA 2017)*
Orders Books Open Jan 2018
Production Starts March 2018
Deliveries May/June 2018

Recent BMW M production reveal history at NAIAS:
2017 show M6 GT3
2016 show M2
2015 show M6 refresh
2014 show M3, M4
2013 show M6 GC

Recent BMW M production reveal history at LA Auto Show:
2014 show X5 M, X6 M
Are you talking about the first showing at an Auto Show or the actual reveal date?

The M2 was first revealed on Periscope October 13,2015.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=Periscope
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #1249
machinemavrik
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Are you talking about the first showing at an Auto Show or the actual reveal date?

The M2 was first revealed on Periscope October 13,2015.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=Periscope
First showing at an Auto Show
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #1250
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Pcars do come with "real seats" that are street and track friendly, as do many other mid and high line brands (check out new civic type R). The M2 is a great arrive and drive platform that should be more track friendly in this area....would not add any cost but would increase function. I do use the real seats in our RACE car!

Last edited by Twt; 09-30-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #1251
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I think they will reveal X2 at LA, M3 CS at Detroit and M2 Competition at Geneva...

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #1252
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Pcars do come with "real seats" that are street and track friendly, as do many other mid and high line brands (check out new civic type R). The M2 is a great arrive and drive platform that should be more track friendly in this area....would not add any cost but would increase function. I do use the real seats in our RACE car!
BMW isn't Porsche ( yet) and sometimes that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

If you want a pcar seat then buy a pcar. Same for the Honda as well.

Sure it may be nice for BMW to offer a nice " track seat" that really isn't .. as far as I'm concerned ..

What could be more " track friendly " than a set of sliders and a seat from Bimmerworld .. ?

There was a set of seats available for the 1M in Europe. Around $3600 US and not installed in the car because they didn't meet airbag requirements.

. If I'm gonna spend 2-3k on my track car seat.. I would rather personalize it myself. Same with wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #1253
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Leaked VIN Numbers Detail BMW M2 CS Engines And Options - CarBuzz
https://apple.news/ABKcueTlCQ3quzQeeUFnOyw
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #1254
jjclyde