BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmerlink, bluetooth, boost gauges, bluetooth audio questions

10-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Bimmerlink, bluetooth, boost gauges, bluetooth audio questions

I'm interested in using my phone with a bluetooth OBD dongle and bimmerlink to display boost and other important metrics on my ANDROID phone. I say android in caps because i know the iphone is popular with the BMW crowd in general, but im looking for advice particular to android.

Before I buy a bluetooth OBD, I was curious can I do that and play audio over bluetooth at the same time? Or is it one or the other? I always use bluetooth audio so i dont want to spend money on an OBD dongle only to find that i cant use both at once.

For those who have used bimmerlink, what the data refresh rate like? Is it super laggy or shown pretty well in real time like the hp/torque idrive readout? Somewhere in between maybe?

Bonus question: Is it possible by any means to get boost or other info shown on the idrive screen? I really dont care about how much hp and torque my car is making. I care about important things like boost, coolant and oil temp, afr. I dont think ive seen anyone do this, if it was possible i can only assume that everyone would have it.

thanks for any help

Last edited by Joebie; 10-10-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
There are OBD2 dongles that use Wifi, so that might be an option if you're concerned about losing BT audio.

I believe that an app should be able to talk to an OBD2 dongle via BT while the phone also does BT to the radio... but I don't know that 100%. I can tell you that my iphone will use BT (technically, BT Low-Energy) to talk to my radar detector (V1) while also playing music over BT if I want it to. (Although most of the time now I'm using Carplay, which is actually wifi.)

Another option for boost & other info is a P3Gauge in your driver's side vent...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      11-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #3
rllamarca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Most Android phones can connect to two or more BT devices at once, so you shouldn't have an issue. After connecting, go into the Bluetooth menu and you'll see how the phone is using each device. It should say something about "connected for calls", "connected for audio", or in the case of the OBD dongle it may not show either of those.

Apps like Torque should be able to display this info as well. IIRC you can set up whatever info you want on the "dashboard".
Appreciate 0