04-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
NASCAR lol. Where you need to go wheel-to-wheel lock back and forth all the time.
I guess you didn't bother to check out all the other race series I posted videos from then...
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #24
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I guess you didn't bother to check out all the other race series I posted videos from then...
You lost me at NASCAR. :P

All good man, I think there's a lot more to it than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #25
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:

Besides less body movement like I said earlier, sitting closer also gives your arm more leverage. Many race cars do not have power steering, sitting too far takes more toll on your arm.

So I think those racers are just so used to the form of sitting close and transfer over to street cars.

Although again, with airbags in street cars, unless I am wearing a helmet, otherwise I wouldn't sit so close.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #26
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post

Please do go on. I really want to hear this.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste
Fastest serie-BMW according to sport auto

Still more time on the table as that was not a perfect lap. He got out of shape going wide in turn 1.

This video is redemption for the driver though because his first lap he totally got seriously out of shape in either turn 1 or turn 7 going * way *. onto the runoff area.

I look forward to a lap where he doesn't run off the outside of turn 1 so badly and gets into the 1:11s.

As the M2 supplants the M4 as being the best sports car in the BMW lineup, BMW should seriously consider naming the next " 2 " platform a " 3" and having coupe, sedan and grand coupe iterations and then making the next 3 series a 4 series, in sedan , coupe and gran coupe iterations..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #28
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Not near a perfect lap? You've got to be kidding me, its very very close and was his fastest time, it's not just a one shot, as one knows, most magazines test a few laps, with the exception of the N-ring, where it is only 3 laps. All of Christian Gebhardt laps on Hockenheim (he is an expert on that track) look exactly like that one in several BMWs, including the ones he has tested for the Sport Auto Tuner-GP he takes the same line and is pushing it to the limit and things do get squirmy when you are pushing the limit on a street car. Anyone criticizing this guy's driving competence/seating position has no idea what they're talking about. The time speaks for itself.

Anyway, fantastic performance from the M2, as suspected the smaller dimensions of the car are allowing the engine to not overpower the chassis. The former "Stig", Ben Collins in his Goodwood test stated that right away, the M2 felt very much like the E92 M3, specifically praising how the car "bonds well to the road" and has "perfect poise and balance". With 400 bhp and a smaller more nimble package, BMW is back in the game at least on this car.
Appreciate 6
      04-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Not near a perfect lap? You've got to be kidding me, its very very close and was his fastest time, it's not just a one shot, as one knows, most magazines test a few laps, with the exception of the N-ring, where it is only 3 laps. All of Christian Gebhardt laps on Hockenheim (he is an expert on that track) look exactly like that one in several BMWs, including the ones he has tested for the Sport Auto Tuner-GP he takes the same line and is pushing it to the limit and things do get squirmy when you are pushing the limit on a street car. Anyone criticizing this guy's driving competence/seating position has no idea what they're talking about. The time speaks for itself.

Anyway, fantastic performance from the M2, as suspected the smaller dimensions of the car are allowing the engine to not overpower the chassis. The former "Stig", Ben Collins in his Goodwood test stated that right away, the M2 felt very much like the E92 M3, specifically praising how the car "bonds well to the road" and has "perfect poise and balance". With 400 bhp and a smaller more nimble package, BMW is back in the game at least on this car.
Ok easy their killer ... Edited to " not a perfect lap " To be honest , the previous lap by this driver was actually very sloppy.

First off...

BMW got " back in the game " with the 1M and the M2 is a slightly reworked version of the same exact formula.

As far as the lap, in no way did I question the drivers talent or accomplishments.

I'm glad to see that you think that this was his best time. I suppose you would have been happy with the previous 1:12:5 that he posted

You can see that lap had several errors in it.

However, as a person who drives on track and also competes, I can recognize the newest 1:12.2 wasn't a perfect lap ( there were elements in the 1:12.5 lap that made it faster he just had some much larger errors ) and i know the driver would admit it. Was it a great lap? Yes , but again, that car has 1:11s in it and i know for damn sure that driver would say so.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:

I sit up close at the track as well. It's like being in an athletic stance for anything else.
      04-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #31
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3

Ok easy their killer ... Edited to " not a perfect lap " To be honest , the previous lap by this driver was actually very sloppy.

First off...

BMW got " back in the game " with the 1M and the M2 is a slightly reworked version of the same exact formula.

As far as the lap, in no way did I question the drivers talent or accomplishments.

I'm glad to see that you think that this was his best time. I suppose you would have been happy with the previous 1:12:5 that he posted

You can see that lap had several errors in it.

However, as a person who drives on track and also competes, I can recognize the newest 1:12.2 wasn't a perfect lap ( there were elements in the 1:12.5 lap that made it faster he just had some much larger errors ) and i know the driver would admit it. Was it a great lap? Yes , but again, that car has 1:11s in it and i know for damn sure that driver would say so.
All laps have errors in it - you know that.
      04-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #32
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I sit up close at the track as well. It's like being in an athletic stance for anything else.
Me too. If you need to straighten your arms to touch the steering wheel you are way too far IMO. I probably sit 4" closer at the track than I do for street driving. My arms would be close to 90deg when holding the steering wheel... maybe slightly less than 90 but not much less.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #33
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Dude is way too close to the wheel.
That's actually proper position
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #34
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Sick. Using a DCT, take that all you MT6 fanatics.
      04-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #35
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

He deff wasn't "way to close" to the steering wheel. You have track experience?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #36
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Listening to all these people criticize a pro race driver's seating positions is comedy
Appreciate 6
      04-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #37
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335
Listening to all these people criticize a pro race driver's seating positions is comedy
Lol - hard parkers.
      04-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #38
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Me too. If you need to straighten your arms to touch the steering wheel you are way too far IMO. I probably sit 4" closer at the track than I do for street driving. My arms would be close to 90deg when holding the steering wheel... maybe slightly less than 90 but not much less.
Yep especially to have total control in oh shit moments. Here's my position:
Attached Images

04-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #39
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Please do go on. I really want to hear this.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #40
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
Aerodynamics: front: 16 kg uplift
rear: 12 kg uplift
But at what speed? 100km/h? 100mph? Top speed?

If that's all the lift that is generated at top speed, then there's no need for even the trunk lid spoiler.
Still, it would be interesting to measure front and rear lift/downforce with the M Performance aero parts.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #41
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAlife75 View Post
Driver looks constipated though
He's thinking "Scheisse. I should not have eaten that Weisswurst after noon ! ! !"
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #42
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Still more time on the table as that was not a perfect lap. He got out of shape going wide in turn 1.

This video is redemption for the driver though because his first lap he totally got seriously out of shape in either turn 1 or turn 7 going * way *. onto the runoff area.

I look forward to a lap where he doesn't run off the outside of turn 1 so badly and gets into the 1:11s.

As the M2 supplants the M4 as being the best sports car in the BMW lineup, BMW should seriously consider naming the next " 2 " platform a " 3" and having coupe, sedan and grand coupe iterations and then making the next 3 series a 4 series, in sedan , coupe and gran coupe iterations..
Turn 1 at Hockenheim is a corner where allmost everyone goes wide. IIRC they have had to warn drivers during F1 races to stay within the track limits at turn 1 because they tend to go wide there to carry more speed onto the following straight.

To me the lap looks to be a very good one, I'm not sure there's a lot of time to be found, but of course every lap can be improved (even F1 drivers do mistakes quite frequently)

DTM, F1 etc go wide there

Appreciate 2
      04-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #43
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Quote:

Your name says it all. I attended BMW performance school four years school and that was exactly the seating position taught. I haven't looked back since total command and control. Let me guess you sit in the back seat with your hand draped over the steering wheel. What do you call that the homey position or the "confusion" position? :
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #44
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Not sure why my innocuous comment instigated so much hate. Sorry some of you take such offense. I certainly didn't criticize the guy's performance.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad some of you got a kick out of it.

Regarding driving experience, I've been to Bondurant twice and driven my E46 M3 at MSR (Houston), 135 at TWS (College Station), and got a few laps at CotA in a CTS-V. Certainly not as much as I would like but more than nothing.

Looking forward to more adventures in my M2 (which I picked up today).

Cheers.
Appreciate 1