BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Airbag Recall Updates

05-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

Airbag Recall Updates

Checking in with kneebag updates, just got off calls with my dealer and the performance center.

General Information: There is an issue with the knee air bag (didn't say if it was bag or sensor) that affects all 2, 3, 4, and their M series produced during and after March 2019. It affects an estimated 250,000 cars total, 100,000 of which are currently in production or not delivered (factory, in transit, VPC, PCD, ED, dealer lot). As such, a stop sale has been issued for all of these cars, and a recall will be issued for cars that have already been sold. Production is stopped until a solution can be implemented. There is currently not a fix available as the problem has not been completely identified. More information will be available Thursday.

My situation is somewhat unique in that I've already paid for and registered my car and have tags and plates. BMW still told me that I cannot pickup my car and will be contacted by customer relations. There are a small group of people with this issue that are supposedly priority, as far as I know this means the following:
Car has been paid for, is registered, has plates, and is set for Performance Center delivery, with pick up in three weeks or less.

this is all of the information I have for now unfortunately.

TLDR; its all bad and nobody is getting their car right now/cars aren't moving forward for at least 3 days+time to fix, possibly longer.
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 1
Luongo134.00
      05-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Checking in with kneebag updates, just got off calls with my dealer and the performance center.

General Information: There is an issue with the knee air bag (didn't say if it was bag or sensor) that affects all 2, 3, 4, and their M series produced during and after March 2019. It affects an estimated 250,000 cars total, 100,000 of which are currently in production or not delivered (factory, in transit, VPC, PCD, ED, dealer lot). As such, a stop sale has been issued for all of these cars, and a recall will be issued for cars that have already been sold. Production is stopped until a solution can be implemented. There is currently not a fix available as the problem has not been completely identified. More information will be available Thursday.

My situation is somewhat unique in that I've already paid for and registered my car and have tags and plates. BMW still told me that I cannot pickup my car and will be contacted by customer relations. There are a small group of people with this issue that are supposedly priority, as far as I know this means the following:
Car has been paid for, is registered, has plates, and is set for Performance Center delivery, with pick up in three weeks or less.

this is all of the information I have for now unfortunately.

TLDR; its all bad and nobody is getting their car right now/cars aren't moving forward for at least 3 days+time to fix, possibly longer.
DOT rules. I ran into this with an X1 a few years ago. The DOT basically says the car is unsafe to drive if it has a faulty airbag. BMW of course doesn't want the liability either.
      05-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Chopper731
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Wow, that is not good news. My car got its VIN and started production today so I wonder how much of an affect this will have on the timeline.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
DOT rules. I ran into this with an X1 a few years ago. The DOT basically says the car is unsafe to drive if it has a faulty airbag. BMW of course doesn't want the liability either.
I asked if I could sign a waiver because I have too many things scheduled that are riding on this delivery date (05/17). It would be impossible to reschedule. Unfortunately they said only BMW Customer Relations could answer that, so I'm waiting for their call at this point.
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I asked if I could sign a waiver because I have too many things scheduled that are riding on this delivery date (05/17). It would be impossible to reschedule. Unfortunately they said only BMW Customer Relations could answer that, so I'm waiting for their call at this point.
I tried talking to BMW Customer Relations, they said the DOT has the final word.
      05-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
I tried talking to BMW Customer Relations, they said the DOT has the final word.
There's going to be some words had with them then. This entire process from start to finish has been terrible. As soon as I made my order and paid my downpayment they just stopped caring. This is just the icing on the cake of annoyance and regret for buying a new car.
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
There's going to be some words had with them then. This entire process from start to finish has been terrible. As soon as I made my order and paid my downpayment they just stopped caring. This is just the icing on the cake of annoyance and regret for buying a new car.
What dealer did you use?
      05-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
StarHunter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 M2C DCT

Here is the latest from my CA "A solution has been identified but replacement part number is not yet in the system. Once parts are available, it would be a on-site repair. Next update timing would be Thursday (5/9). No further detailed information about the recall is disclosed. More than 100,000 vehicles are affected."

Whether there is a solution identified or not, just fingers crossed hoping BMW can get this sorted out soon.
      05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
What dealer did you use?
Before I say this, Perillo wouldn't even talk to me about ordering a car, and other dealerships were also not interested or didn't have an allocation.

Fields BMW Northfield IL

Issues include:
Wrong options sent, was fixed
PCD not scheduled until the day the car was on the boat, almost missed being able to do PCD
Not scheduling my pickup until weeks after they got the notification it needed to be scheduled, pushing my delivery back (now into this recall, shouldve had it by now)
Financing was the real mess. New grad program promised for 19, but then not allowed on 20. Still went with BMW after they promised me a great rate. However they still took my loan and shopped it around and came back with laughable rates since I have never financed anything before besides my student loans, ended up going with a local bank outside of BMW.

That's the entire reason for the new grad program....but I digress.

Now we're here, after all of this and I won't even be able to pick it up.
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHunter View Post
Here is the latest from my CA "A solution has been identified but replacement part number is not yet in the system. Once parts are available, it would be a on-site repair. Next update timing would be Thursday (5/9). No further detailed information about the recall is disclosed. More than 100,000 vehicles are affected."

Whether there is a solution identified or not, just fingers crossed hoping BMW can get this sorted out soon.
I sure hope so. BMW finally managed to build an exciting sports car again so I thought I would put my money where my anti-modern-bmw mouth is. I wish I would've just bought an E46 M at this point.
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Before I say this, Perillo wouldn't even talk to me about ordering a car, and other dealerships were also not interested or didn't have an allocation.

Fields BMW Northfield IL

Issues include:
PCD not scheduled until the day the car was on the boat, almost missed being able to do PCD
Not scheduling my pickup until weeks after they got the notification it needed to be scheduled, pushing my delivery back (now into this recall, shouldve had it by now)
Financing was the real mess. New grad program promised for 19, but then not allowed on 20. Still went with BMW after they promised me a great rate. However they still took my loan and shopped it around and came back with laughable rates since I have never financed anything before besides my student loans, ended up going with a local bank outside of BMW.

Fields BMW Northfield IL!?! They managed to damage two of my brand new cars. Never again I will go to that hole.

I have bought from these BMW dealerships. Top three - never had any issues.

Motorwerks is my favorite. Have a friend there.

Motorwerks
Knauz BMW
Perillio BMW
Fields BMW
      05-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Quote:

Fields BMW Northfield IL

Issues include:

Fields BMW Northfield IL!?! They managed to damage two of my brand new cars. Never again I will go to that hole.
I have been dealing with Knauz BMW and it has been an amazing experience so far. If you are in Chicagoland, I strongly recommend shopping at Knauz.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:

Motorwerks
Knauz BMW
Perillio BMW
Fields BMW
Perillo was extremely stuck up, wouldn't talk to me at all or be serious about ordering a car.

I dont remember who I called but nobody else had an allocation when I called about them in Feburary 19
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Motorwerks
Knauz BMW
Perillio BMW
Fields BMW
Perillo was extremely stuck up, wouldn't talk to me at all or be serious about ordering a car.

I dont remember who I called but nobody else had an allocation when I called about them in Feburary 19
I hope BMW overnights an airbag so you can take delivery. I feel for you!
      05-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #15
TProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 competition

This is from my CA. My car is still in production.

BMW has issued a voluntary recall for several types of cars...all 2 series, all 330xi's, all 4 series, the new Z4, M4's and M2's. This is due to a supplier issue on the driver and passenger side airbags. Because of a supplier issue in production, the driver and passenger side airbags could become damaged during deployment.

There are approximately 11,700 vehicles affected by this. It affects cars from 2018, '19 and '20.

Currently your car does not show being affected by this recall, however, it has not advanced along the production process. I can see that is was to be built on 4/29, but the car is still in the Assembly finish/quality check phase.
      05-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TProfit View Post
This is from my CA. My car is still in production.

BMW has issued a voluntary recall for several types of cars...all 2 series, all 330xi's, all 4 series, the new Z4, M4's and M2's. This is due to a supplier issue on the driver and passenger side airbags. Because of a supplier issue in production, the driver and passenger side airbags could become damaged during deployment.

There are approximately 11,700 vehicles affected by this. It affects cars from 2018, '19 and '20.

Currently your car does not show being affected by this recall, however, it has not advanced along the production process. I can see that is was to be built on 4/29, but the car is still in the Assembly finish/quality check phase.
I was told cars are not advancing until the issue has been solved.

Wouldn't make sense to continue building cars with faults
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TProfit View Post
I seem to be in the same boat. My car was scheduled to be completed 5/2 and has been in "quality check phase" since then...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      05-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
MRosth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Is it only US cars that's affected? (I'm in Sweden/EU)
Will be picking up my M2 comp tomorrow and haven't heard anything about this.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRosth View Post
For your sake i hope so! I hope your pickup goes smoothly
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRosth View Post
I serious doubt there is a different airbag used for different markets. Your car was probably outside the recall.
      05-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #21
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Maybe I missed something but are all the cars already delivered in that time frame going to be recalled as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #22
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Maybe I missed something but are all the cars already delivered in that time frame going to be recalled as well?
Eventually yes - according to my dealer
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
Appreciate 0