BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Tension Rods

01-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Tension Rods

Thinking of replacing my Tension Rods. Anyone have any feedback of Pros and Cons of doing this. Is it worth the upgrade for the Tracking ability of the M2? Have new suspension coming and thinking this is a good time to add.
      01-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #2
EE60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Thinking of replacing my Tension Rods. Anyone have any feedback of Pros and Cons of doing this. Is it worth the upgrade for the Tracking ability of the M2? Have new suspension coming and thinking this is a good time to add.
Quote:
I did the Turner monoballs on my 235i. And it is a real improvement
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE60 View Post
I did the Turner monoballs on my 235i. And it is a real improvement
Yes, so did I. Tension rods are completely different. They are the Arm towards the rear from the Thrust Arm. They are to the rear of Thrust arm.
      01-17-2021, 03:36 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Do you mean the Tension Strut, or? I'm fairly certain you can get monorail versions of the Tension Struts

Front: Item 10
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1123

Rear:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1818

Edit:
This thread might be useful.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720518

Last edited by M Fifty; 01-17-2021 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #5
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Do you mean the Tension Strut, or? I'm fairly certain you can get monorail versions of the Tension Struts

Front: Item 10
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1123

Rear:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1818

Edit:
This thread might be useful.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720518
In that diagram they call it a Wishbone. That is the one I am considering replacing. BMW has confusing names for their suspension parts. The Tension Arm in that diagram is called a Thrust Arm when I ordered it on line. Other sites call it a Control arm.
      01-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, this may be of interest:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_2163
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Just the monoball is all you need unless you are trying to square up the caster setting.

This is our best selling monoball to date:

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-Adjustab...?categoryId=-1

Last edited by HP Autosport; 01-27-2021 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:13 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
In that diagram they call it a Wishbone. That is the one I am considering replacing. BMW has confusing names for their suspension parts. The Tension Arm in that diagram is called a Thrust Arm when I ordered it on line. Other sites call it a Control arm.
Lower wishbone/control arm (LCA) - oem already has a monoball from factory

Tension strut/rod aka Upper Control Arm (UCA) - solid rubber bush from factory - I (and a number of others) have retrofitted m/ball bush to help improve EPS feel + response and stabilise front geo under heavy/late braking on track.

I used Bimmerworld m/balls - not the cheapest but no regrets and ideal for dual duty - DD + TD's.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:22 AM   #9
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Just the monoball is all you need unless you are trying to square up the caster setting.

This is our best selling monoball to date:

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-Adjustab...?categoryId=-1
The listing says these are for the xdrive 2 and 3 series cars. not the f8x cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
The listing says these are for the xdrive 2 and 3 series cars. not the f8x cars.
It's amazing how much confusion there is when you talk about M2 Front suspension parts. Different names for the same parts, even on BMW's own ordering site. Those parts in the diagram aren't even on an M2.
      02-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post

These:

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-Adjustab...8X-SPL-FKS.htm

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-TITANIUM...nsion-Rods.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
slap
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

SPL tension arms

I have used the spl lower control arms and then needed the tension arms to get the caster sorted. I could only dial in about -1.8 camber without the tension arms due to the tyres rubbing on the inside plastic in the wells.
The tension arms pull the wheel back and allowed it to go to -2.5 (its as far as I wanted to go) without the rubbing - lots of clearance.

Its by far the best bang for buck money I've spent to decrease my lap times, the car rotates much better and keeps my corner speed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #13
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
I have used the spl lower control arms and then needed the tension arms to get the caster sorted. I could only dial in about -1.8 camber without the tension arms due to the tyres rubbing on the inside plastic in the wells.
The tension arms pull the wheel back and allowed it to go to -2.5 (its as far as I wanted to go) without the rubbing - lots of clearance.

Its by far the best bang for buck money I've spent to decrease my lap times, the car rotates much better and keeps my corner speed up.
Are you running Camber Plates? I can understand full Track Set up going all in with SPL Tension Arms, but my car is still at this point a "Part Time DD". Would it not be better if looking for Camber to just go with Camber Plates?
      02-15-2021, 01:52 AM   #14
slap
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Camber Plates Vs lower control arms and tension rod

To answer the question camber plates will give you camber but that's it with the lower control arms and tension rods then you can adjust everything in fine detail. As to what to buy - I am of the opinion to buy once, cry once but I only really drive it on the track so I've adjusted all the geometry toe, caster & camber for grip and quicker turn in - you wouldn't use my settings on a road car. Also the standard shock and springs are actually ok - so if you were going after some nice but expensive coilovers - they are actually wasted IMO without having the rods in first and adjusted up - the coilovers are only for "ultimate" grip / handling after you get the camber, caster and tom sorted - again only my opinion.

I sort of work on the principle if I'm going to change something then I'll do it properly from the start it saves money in the long run. My day to day cars are all stock as a rock.

PS the cost of camberplates and with the the cost of installation - its not too much more to put the rods on and be able to dial in what you like - for serious tracking I chose that or I would have ended up paying twice to get the adjustment I wanted. I am also of the opinion the couple of grand I spent was the cheapest $ for a couple of seconds improvement in time that I or anyone else could spend on a M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #15
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
To answer the question camber plates will give you camber but that's it with the lower control arms and tension rods then you can adjust everything in fine detail. As to what to buy - I am of the opinion to buy once, cry once but I only really drive it on the track so I've adjusted all the geometry toe, caster & camber for grip and quicker turn in - you wouldn't use my settings on a road car. Also the standard shock and springs are actually ok - so if you were going after some nice but expensive coilovers - they are actually wasted IMO without having the rods in first and adjusted up - the coilovers are only for "ultimate" grip / handling after you get the camber, caster and tom sorted - again only my opinion.

I sort of work on the principle if I'm going to change something then I'll do it properly from the start it saves money in the long run. My day to day cars are all stock as a rock.

PS the cost of cambe plates and with the the cost of installation - its not too much more to put the rods on and be able to dial in what you like - for serious tracking I chose that or I would have ended up paying twice to get the adjustment I wanted. I am also of the opinion the couple of grand I spent was the cheapest $ for a couple of seconds improvement in time that I or anyone else could spend on a M2.
Thanks,good info. I use my M2 for occasional DD so dialing it in at that level might be down the road as time goes by. I just installed me suspension with camber plates yesterday and am adjusting height now. As far as stock suspension goes I have seen video of my my car under heavy cornering and there is much leaning into turns that I'm sure will be much improved with pretty much any Coil-overs that are track oriented. Nose dive is all but gone now where my OEM suspension dove upon heavy braking.
      02-18-2021, 02:28 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Thanks,good info. I use my M2 for occasional DD so dialing it in at that level might be down the road as time goes by. I just installed me suspension with camber plates yesterday and am adjusting height now. As far as stock suspension goes I have seen video of my my car under heavy cornering and there is much leaning into turns that I'm sure will be much improved with pretty much any Coil-overs that are track oriented. Nose dive is all but gone now where my OEM suspension dove upon heavy braking.
Slap's choice to use SPL adjustable arms is ideal for his track biased car. If using for dual duty ie DD and TD's, then SPL longevity would concern me as they appear not to have any seals/dust covers to keep out 365d/pa road filth/crud.

Millway do 2 versions, one of which is a street m'ball of tension strut monoball - if you look at their website you will see the difference between track and street wrt seals/covers I mention above.

I chose Bimmerworld m'balls as they're are sealed and use an oem grade m'ball similar to what F8x LCA's come with from the factory.

HTH, BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0