BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

08-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #45
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Just installed my MP coilovers.

A couple questions for the guys running these.

1. What are you guys running as far as height? (How many threads showing)

2. How in the heck are you able to adjust the rear....

The whole top fixture insert is spinning on me when I turn the collar (Rear).
Also, it's a bitch to get the wrench in there (Rear).
Well, the rear adjuster should be pretty much all the way to the top if you're going to get BMW's recommended ride height (600mm from lower edge of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch). Adjusting it is a pig - which is probably why the instruction for the KW-badged version recommends removing the adjuster to set it.

The front can easily be adjusted by hand if the weight is taken off the suspension. target height is 595mm measured the same way as the rear.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #46
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Well, the rear adjuster should be pretty much all the way to the top if you're going to get BMW's recommended ride height (600mm from lower edge of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch). Adjusting it is a pig - which is probably why the instruction for the KW-badged version recommends removing the adjuster to set it.

The front can easily be adjusted by hand if the weight is taken off the suspension. target height is 595mm measured the same way as the rear.

HTH
Thanks for the tips, I will probably end up doing just that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #47
Ed3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW 340i LCI w/ MPPSK

SO I had approved the order of the MP coil overs on two separate occasions, once 3 weeks before the car was to arrive to the dealer and again a week before. The day of the pick up (08/03) my SA told me it’d be here in a couple of days so no big deal. A week and half goes by and it hasn’t been delivered and says he has no idea what’s going on? REALLY!? SO I end up canceling my order and getting credited the cost. I’m a little bummed about it but at least I don’t have to make a payment till February. The sucky part is I haven’t thought about reordering and getting it installed. Currently sitting at 300 miles and counting.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #48
micrsx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Just an update - I'm running:

Front:
Rebound 12 Comp 9

Rear:
Rebound 15 Comp 9

Which is 3 softer on each setting from stock, and the car feels a lot more stable now. Definitely goes to show how a small change (+3 rebound in the rear vs. my previous street setup) can make a noticeable difference in handling.
Sorry i am a bit confused, isnt it opening up means harder? If it is softened shouldnt it be a lower value.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #49
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

I'm on kw v3's, and going fwd coils will likely be the first mod I ever do to any performance handling car. People need to keep in mind they're adjustable for a reason, and you can cater your settings to how you plan to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #50
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrsx View Post
Sorry i am a bit confused, isnt it opening up means harder? If it is softened shouldnt it be a lower value.
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PDF/BMW_M...ion_Manual.pdf

Quote:
The rebound adjustment is made at the top end of the piston
rod using the adjustment wheel (1). The adjustment is made from the
closed position (max. hardness). The closed position is reached when the
adjustment wheel (1) has been turned as far as possible in the hard direction
(+) (number "0" on the wheel). The effective adjustment range is 0-16 clicks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #51
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Comp & Rebo settings are the number of clicks open from closed [hardest] setting.

The more clicks(open), the higher the number & the softer the C or R setting.
      10-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #52
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

MCS

My 2017 started with stock suspension , then put on Mperformance coilovers. This was a very good improvement over stock for track use. After 2 years I blew out one shock and BMW would not match car warranty because they were not installed at the dealership...BS. So, I pulled them off, gave them away and put on Motion Control Systems 2NR with 800/1000 springs....best upgrade ever. These are real coilovers that are easily adjustable ( top control) with any spring option you want. They are made here in Atlanta and are rebuildable!! I just ran NCM and saw a 3 second improvement....car handles flat but on the street it is no stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #53
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
My 2017 started with stock suspension , then put on Mperformance coilovers. This was a very good improvement over stock for track use. After 2 years I blew out one shock and BMW would not match car warranty because they were not installed at the dealership...BS. So, I pulled them off, gave them away and put on Motion Control Systems 2NR with 800/1000 springs....best upgrade ever. These are real coilovers that are easily adjustable ( top control) with any spring option you want. They are made here in Atlanta and are rebuildable!! I just ran NCM and saw a 3 second improvement....car handles flat but on the street it is no stiffer than stock.
Yeah, my rear shock started leaking but was repaired by BMW because I installed it at the dealership. Now I think the other rear shock is leaking, so I'll be bringing it in soon Otherwise I've been extremely happy with the performance.

How much did the 2NR cost you? Perhaps I should be looking for a set of coilovers after my warranty runs out the m perf ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #54
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my rear shock started leaking but was repaired by BMW because I installed it at the dealership. Now I think the other rear shock is leaking, so I'll be bringing it in soon Otherwise I've been extremely happy with the performance.

How much did the 2NR cost you? Perhaps I should be looking for a set of coilovers after my warranty runs out the m perf ones.
The MCS 2NR plus springs, etc. cost $4,200, I was hesitant at first but after the install it was well worth it.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      10-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #55
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

so how easy is it to adjust these things from normal setup to a track setup? i'm planning to track and enjoy the car and I'm wondering if this a worthwhile upgrade.
      10-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #56
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
so how easy is it to adjust these things from normal setup to a track setup? i'm planning to track and enjoy the car and I'm wondering if this a worthwhile upgrade.
Lots of moving parts in your question. Starting with ride height, you will lower the car permanently for street or track...a lower CG improves handling. As to compression and rebound, I leave it the same for track and street....although I may modify for a specific track. These adjustments are fairly easy depending on the brand, but removing the wheels may be necessary. I run camber plates which allow for a more aggressive track alignment, which I do not change for street.
If time and money is not an issue, you can have a shop adjust everything for your track day and return to street after....in a perfect world.
Appreciate 1
m7ammed209.00
      10-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #57
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agree with the statement above, you can actually find a pretty good balance between street and track, but the main thing that won't be easily adjustable will be your alignment. Wouldn't recommend running camber above -3 if you're going to daily this car. Otherwise everything is fairly easy to adjust (minus rear height, a bit of a pain compared to how easy the front height adjustment is). And yes, imo coils/camber is the biggest bang for your buck as far as handling improvement.
Appreciate 1
m7ammed209.00
      11-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #58
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Quote:
Agree with the statement above, you can actually find a pretty good balance between street and track, but the main thing that won't be easily adjustable will be your alignment. Wouldn't recommend running camber above -3 if you're going to daily this car. Otherwise everything is fairly easy to adjust (minus rear height, a bit of a pain compared to how easy the front height adjustment is). And yes, imo coils/camber is the biggest bang for your buck as far as handling improvement.
-3 deg front camber for DD if running wider than stock front tyres.

If running 245/255 tyres I'd not want to go more than -2.5 deg front camber. More than this and front tyre contact patch is reduced and it may effect straight line braking performance...
      11-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #59
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

i'm about to pull the trigger for this set. i like it because it is stainless steel. i have a question about the height. as far as i know the height comes pre set by bmw, or at least this is written on the manual. i was wondering how much it drops compared to the original because i could have problem getting out of the garage it it will be too low.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #60
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

no one can help??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #61
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

595mm front, and 600mm rear measured from the lowest point on the wheel rim to the lowest point on the top of the wheel arch lip. Whether this is going to cause a problem is entirely dependent on the geometry of your garage exit and how you drive.

So maybe if you measure the current ride height on a level surface and then see how close the bodywork gets to your drive, you'll be in a position to estimate whether you'll have a problem.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #62
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
no one can help??
I mean they are adjustable so you should be able to set it where you are comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #63
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
595mm front, and 600mm rear measured from the lowest point on the wheel rim to the lowest point on the top of the wheel arch lip. Whether this is going to cause a problem is entirely dependent on the geometry of your garage exit and how you drive.

So maybe if you measure the current ride height on a level surface and then see how close the bodywork gets to your drive, you'll be in a position to estimate whether you'll have a problem.

HTH
of course, it's because i read on the manual that they come proadjusted for the optimal height. interesting that the want it lower in the front though
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #64
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
This morning I drove this with MP coilovers, the improvement in driving is noticeably but I was surprised by the ride height in the front, it seems that only the rear is lowered.
Guys do you confirm that with the recommended setup the front is lower than this one and this car was perhaps set higher due to clearance reasons on the front?

Last edited by VIERsr; 11-16-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #65
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Get a tape measure and check that the front is at the settings described above. If it isn't, undo the grub screw on the adjustment rings and wind them down until it is, then retighten the grubscrews.

The rears look to be at the limit of adjustment, the fronts not so much.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      11-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #66
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
This morning I drove this with MP coilovers, the improvement in driving is noticeably but I was surprised by the ride height in the front, it seems that only the rear is lowered.
Guys do you confirm that with the recommended setup the front is lower than this one and this car was perhaps set higher due to clearance reasons on the front?

You shouldn't have any clearance issues with coils running stock tire sizes, only if you go above 255 and without camber.
Appreciate 0