BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 comp brakes (2NH) how do they preform on track?

05-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

M2 comp brakes (2NH) how do they preform on track?

I have OG M2 (MY17) and do +/- 8 track days a year (mostly Nurburgring). My current brake set-up is the OEM 'blue" M2 brakes with Pagid RSL29 / ATE racing brake oil / steel linings. The brakes perform rather well on Nurburgring (did not drive any other tracks the last two years). My front rotors needs replacing and I can get a rather ok deal on a brand new M2 comp 2NH "grey" M brake set (bigger rotors + 6/4 calipers + bigger shields). I'm talking about the bigger 6 piston / 4 piston set from the M2 competition; also known as the 2NH option (or standard in some country's on the M2 comp).

Yes; I know AP racing is lighter and even better for ultimate track performance. Yes; I know I can only fit 19" with 2NH brakes. Yes; I know the brake pads are replaced faster with AP racing calipers. I had AP racing BBK + Pagids pads on my Z4M, so I know AP racing brakes very well and how they perform on track and street

But a full AP racing set is a bit more expensive then this 2NH set and in my country it is actually not legal to fit aftermarket brakes on your car. You have the chance to get red flagged at the annual car check (MOT) and then you need to remove them if they notice the aftermarket brake upgrade (sometimes they notice, sometimes they don't). So the M2 comp set is cheaper + rather safe and hassle free to fit on my OG M2.

But...how good are the 2NH brakes on track with steel lines + different brake oil + track pads? Is the upgrade in bite (bigger contact patch) and less fade (bigger rotors) really noticeable and how are people experiencing these brake on track?

Not talking about driving with standard brake pads on tracks of course...then every brake set-up is crap on track. That's normal
      05-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I would like to know as well. I am giving "M2C brakes upgrade" serious consideration as well. I feel we will all know a good bit more over the next few months. The reviews out now do rave about the M2Cs upgraded brakes. Don't feel there are many pad options around, yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
I would like to know as well. I am giving "M2C brakes upgrade" serious consideration as well. I feel we will all know a good bit more over the next few months. The reviews out now do rave about the M2Cs upgraded brakes. Don't feel there are many pad options around, yet.
I did not see reviews that especially mentioned the brakes for being rather good....mostly they did not mention them....

Last edited by Franzino; 05-15-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wern3r26.50
      05-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Found some

05-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I had a trackday in my M2c recently and upgraded stainless lines, dot 4 fluid, and race pads (Pagid RSL29). The brakes performed flawlessly with no fade.

My previous track car had Brembo GT brakes on all four corners and I’d say these performed at a similar level.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

M2c has better oem brake cooling built in than M2. Hence on m2c, I'd expect both blue std brakes and grey 2NH brakes to work better on track than if fitted to M2, unless of course additional cooling ducts have been retrofitted.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M2c has better oem brake cooling built in than M2. Hence on m2c, I'd expect both blue std brakes and grey 2NH brakes to work better on track than if fitted to M2, unless of course additional cooling ducts have been retrofitted.
I was pushing the car on mountain roads with bbk and after 30min it was cooked, big fading (even with no semi slicks, standard michelin pss fitted), pedal was falling to the floor. i‘ll need to change brakelines, brakefluid and brakepads(endless racing maybe). road was stop and go, i pushed 15min uphill, after 10min downhill it was bad, i was playing with motorcycles with pro drivers(knee and metal on tarmac, a lot of sparks

what brand is your recommendation for brakepads? trackday use.. thx
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
Quote:
I was pushing the car on mountain roads with bbk and after 30min it was cooked, big fading (even with no semi slicks, standard michelin pss fitted), pedal was falling to the floor. i‘ll need to change brakelines, brakefluid and brakepads(endless racing maybe). road was stop and go, i pushed 15min uphill, after 10min downhill it was bad, i was playing with motorcycles with pro drivers(knee and metal on tarmac, a lot of sparks

TBH - I running Castrol SRF fluid and oem pads until they need to change. I have a set of oem m4 sport pads ready to go in.

Had similar set up on my m135i and it was superb.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
OGM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
I have OG M2 (MY17) and do +/- 8 track days a year (mostly Nurburgring). My current brake set-up is the OEM 'blue" M2 brakes with Pagid RSL29 / ATE racing brake oil / steel linings. The brakes perform rather well on Nurburgring (did not drive any other tracks the last two years). My front rotors needs replacing and I can get a rather ok deal on a brand new M2 comp 2NH "grey" M brake set (bigger rotors + 6/4 calipers + bigger shields). I'm talking about the bigger 6 piston / 4 piston set from the M2 competition; also known as the 2NH option (or standard in some country's on the M2 comp).

Yes; I know AP racing is lighter and even better for ultimate track performance. Yes; I know I can only fit 19" with 2NH brakes. Yes; I know the brake pads are replaced faster with AP racing calipers. I had AP racing BBK + Pagids pads on my Z4M, so I know AP racing brakes very well and how they perform on track and street

But a full AP racing set is a bit more expensive then this 2NH set and in my country it is actually not legal to fit aftermarket brakes on your car. You have the chance to get red flagged at the annual car check (MOT) and then you need to remove them if they notice the aftermarket brake upgrade (sometimes they notice, sometimes they don't). So the M2 comp set is cheaper + rather safe and hassle free to fit on my OG M2.

But...how good are the 2NH brakes on track with steel lines + different brake oil + track pads? Is the upgrade in bite (bigger contact patch) and less fade (bigger rotors) really noticeable and how are people experiencing these brake on track?

Not talking about driving with standard brake pads on tracks of course...then every brake set-up is crap on track. That's normal
12 days on stock rotors + pagids + Castrol srf

They work wonderfully, no fade.

However the front OEM rotors have many fractures now so I'm having to replace. No after market options yet although Girodisc is working on changing that.

Interestingly my rear caliper paint is changing from silver to a noticeably more golden color from heat : the heat is high at the rear because me being new to this cars rwd (coming from a GTR) I'm still running with DSC in MDM mode (even did the first few days with DSC fully on) im not ready to turn DSC fully off yet... soon. Rear pad wear is also significantly impacted by my DSC usage, they are wearing much faster than the front pads which is not something I'm used too seeing.
      05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Currently, you can get Endless ME20, Porterfield R4S and R4, Ferodo DS2500 and DS1.11 and lastly Pagid RS29. Not a bad selection at all.

Hawk DTC series doesn't seem to very popular anymore plus they wear way too quickly.

PFC should have something soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
OGM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:
Currently, you can get Endless ME20, Porterfield R4S and R4, Ferodo DS2500 and DS1.11 and lastly Pagid RS29. Not a bad selection at all.

Hawk DTC series doesn't seem to very popular anymore plus they wear way too quickly.

You are missing Carbotech XP8, XP10 & XP12 from that list.

I just picked up a set of XP10's to try out mainly because I don't like the Pagid price point - I have no complaints with the Pagids, will probably return to them at some point just pretty damn expensive in the 2NH pad shape.
      05-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2C View Post
You are missing Carbotech XP8, XP10 & XP12 from that list.

I just picked up a set of XP10's to try out mainly because I don't like the Pagid price point - I have no complaints with the Pagids, will probably return to them at some point just pretty damn expensive in the 2NH pad shape.
How much are the XP10's or 12's in the 2NH pad shape front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

Non sense, my DTC 60/70's on my 17 M2 lasted at least 8-10 track days on R compounds at instructor run group speeds and still had about 3-4 mm left.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:

Very good to know, there are certainly more around than I am aware of.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Non sense, my DTC 60/70's on my 17 M2 lasted at least 8-10 track days on R compounds at instructor run group speeds and still had about 3-4 mm left.
Not particularly on the F87, but on the E9x platform that was the major complaint. Also in our own experience in Time Attack.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'm aware the M2 comp has extra engine cooling...but I never heard it has more brake cooling then the OG M2.

05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post

For track use I used Endless ME-20 and Pagid RSL-29....for mountain roads I would use Endless MX-72.
      05-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

The front calipers are the same pad size as the F10 M5 (+ M6)...so everything that fits this will also fit the M2 comp BBK...the rear caliper is specific for the M2 comp BBK.
      05-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

How much are the front M2C rotors to replace?

What’s pricing on the rear M2 to M2C retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Just ran my M2C at my first track day, everyone including another M2 owner buddy that attended with me said I need pads/fluids at least before going to the track. My stock M2C brakes compared to his M2 with pads + fluids out braked him during the track day and I felt more confident than he did. He even mentioned it being a passenger in my car.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
How much are the front M2C rotors to replace?

What’s pricing on the rear M2 to M2C retrofit?
These are the red retrofit kit. Your local dealership (or aftermarket suppliers) should be able to quote:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_5003
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Just ran my M2C at my first track day, everyone including another M2 owner buddy that attended with me said I need pads/fluids at least before going to the track. My stock M2C brakes compared to his M2 with pads + fluids out braked him during the track day and I felt more confident than he did. He even mentioned it being a passenger in my car.
I've had two track days and 4000miles so far on my M2C and I don't find any need to upgrade the stock brakes/fluid/pads yet. I will likely do a fluid change shortly to RBF600 but I'm planning to keep the setup stock. I find these better than the Brembo 355/345 Monoblocs with DS2500 pads in my E46...I might change that tune as I get more power in the M2C but we'll see. So far I haven't noticed any fade...what I did notice was the pedal/abs has a pretty firm initial press and then lets you threshold brake deeper into the pedal travel of the brake. I believe this is designed this way to avoid newbies from locking up the brakes as I very much did activate the abs on several long straights in 90+ heat. Another thought is the emergency braking button I've never messed with and always leave it on...so I wonder if that has an effect as well on pedal feel? Maybe it pre-charges the abs or something weird. Either way the brakes feel good.

Edit: Looking up some of the brake features employed by BMW :

Dynamic Brake Control (DBC).
When, in an emergency, you apply the brake pedal quickly and with force but without really further increasing brake pressure, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) instantly builds up maximum brake pressure, bringing your BMW more quickly to a halt.

Even when the driver fails to press on the brake pedal with adequate force, DBC ensures the braking distance will be a short as possible. The DBC control unit adjusts braking pressure to suit the current speed of the vehicle and the brake's level of wear. Furthermore, the DBC computer is networked with the vehicle's other chassis control systems, such as Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and the anti-lock brake system (ABS), which work together to ensure the highest levels of driving safety.
Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) supports the driver actively and reliably when braking in an emergency. By electronically monitoring the speed and pressure with which the driver applies the brake pedal, it is able to recognise an emergency braking situation - and instantly ensures that full braking power is applied to the wheels. This automatically puts the brake force into the ABS range of control.
This process ensures that the stopping distance is not lengthened unnecessarily by abrupt braking. Whether the driver applies the brakes quickly or slowly, the system responds to the driver’s actions automatically and ends brake pressure buildup via DBC.

Adaptive Brake Assistant
Not too heavy, not too light: the Adaptive Brake Assistant adjusts the amount of brake power applied to the wheels during emergency braking so that your BMW comes safely to a standstill.

The Adaptive Brake Assistant is a practical adjunct to the Active Cruise Control (ACC) system. The radar sensors at the front of your BMW measure both the distance to the vehicle ahead and its current speed. If the vehicle ahead stops suddenly, or if an obstacle appears in the lane ahead, the Adaptive Brake Assistant calculates whether emergency braking must be applied, and the necessary amount of brake pressure.
Having calculated the optimum braking power, the system activates the brakes only after the driver has applied the brake pedal. It also gives the driver warning signals either using sounds or visual warnings on the dashboard or the Head-Up Display depending on the model. The type of warning differentiates between a cautionary signal (e.g. if the vehicle ahead is too close) or an acute alert to a critical situation (e.g. the vehicle ahead brakes suddenly).
In order to minimise brake reaction times, the brake pressure is permanently maintained high enough to hold the brake pads on the discs without actually impeded wheel movement. The system can also momentarily delay brake application and apply engine braking to make braking distance as short as possible relative to the situation.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 05-18-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 2