BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW BBK or AP Racing BBK??!? Arrggghhh

01-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #45
Xerok
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 competition

I am thinking about swapping the calipers too. Right now I have the 2nk, and picking between, AP world radical2 and essex. My situation is same to you, I dont know where you live, but for me in Toronto, it snows a lot so I can't go with the essex since they don't have the dirt seal to keep the salt or sand away from the piston ring.

If your situation is same, then you this is the only thing you should really think about- Do you want to use 18 inch wheels. In my opinion, the performance of ap street caliper is pretty identical to the 2NK. However, being able to use 18in wheels is the major difference. For one reason, you can use actual winter tire other than the performance winter tires which is basically for thin snow or wet road. For the track, you will have much more clearance with 18 inch wheels for using much wider tires-more traction. And 18 inch tires are 1/3 cheaper than the 19s.

If you dont have any snow in your area, then go with AP competition caliper
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #46
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I’ve used my AP’s year round in snow, salt, etc, and haven’t had any issues. If you’re serious about tracking and change your fluid a few times a year, you won’t have any issues with the AP’s as a year round caliper.

If you only track a handful times a year, stick to the BMW BBK.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #47
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerok View Post
I am thinking about swapping the calipers too. Right now I have the 2nk, and picking between, AP world radical2 and essex. My situation is same to you, I dont know where you live, but for me in Toronto, it snows a lot so I can't go with the essex since they don't have the dirt seal to keep the salt or sand away from the piston ring.

If your situation is same, then you this is the only thing you should really think about- Do you want to use 18 inch wheels. In my opinion, the performance of ap street caliper is pretty identical to the 2NK. However, being able to use 18in wheels is the major difference. For one reason, you can use actual winter tire other than the performance winter tires which is basically for thin snow or wet road. For the track, you will have much more clearance with 18 inch wheels for using much wider tires-more traction. And 18 inch tires are 1/3 cheaper than the 19s.

Essex offers a street kit now with powder coated calipers and dust seals.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...p9562380mm-F80
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #48
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Thanks for sharing those links gents. For those trying to understand the difference between our Competition Kits and our Road Kits, click the link below for a summary of the differences:

Which type of AP Racing Brake Kit is right for me?

Thanks again gents.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #49
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerok View Post

To clarify, our AP Racing by Essex Road Kits use the World Radi-CAL II calipers and our AP Racing by Essex Competition Kits use the AP Racing Pro5000R calipers. They both come from Essex though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #50
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Love my AP Essex kit! Great performance and best brake setup for wheel fitment as well!