BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW M3/M4 F8X Carbon Fiber Strut Mod on the BMW M2

12-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #353
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Found the alloy brace on ebay for only £40 delivered! Bargain!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #354
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #355
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Lol N1.

Got mine plus CF brace, reinforcement rings and screws £360.

Last edited by 3t3p; 09-28-2023 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #356
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Nice mod. I think the aluminum brace made the biggest difference.

Anyone install the corner braces https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...ng/ECE/51_9764

3 and 5
2 and 4.

Looks like a pain. I'm not sure if another rivnut has to be installed on the fender mount #8?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #357
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post

Anyone install the corner braces https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...ng/ECE/51_9764

3 and 5
2 and 4.

Looks like a pain. I'm not sure if another rivnut has to be installed on the fender mount #8?
I had the steel tube extensions but didn't install them. To fit parts 2 & 3 would have required modification/part removal of plastics under the windscreen (that capture & manage entering water under the cowl covers) and I think the bonnet hinge assemblies hindered parts 4 & 5 plus there didn't seem to be an existing ready-made spot on the firewall where they would bolt to (unlike the rivnut holes under the side guards). For a road car I don't think the benefits would justify the work required.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #358
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

3 and 5
2 and 4.

Agree 💯alloy brace probably does bring the most benefit.

I ran alloy brace only on my ogm2 for ~6 months whilst waiting for a good used CF brace.

Corner extensions aren't standard on the m2comp and require a lot of remedial work to retrofit.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #359
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:

3 and 5
2 and 4.

I had the steel tube extensions but didn't install them. To fit parts 2 & 3 would have required modification/part removal of plastics under the windscreen (that capture & manage entering water under the cowl covers) and I think the bonnet hinge assemblies hindered parts 4 & 5 plus there didn't seem to be an existing ready-made spot on the firewall where they would bolt to (unlike the rivnut holes under the side guards). For a road car I don't think the benefits would justify the work required.
Looks like it just requires a rivnut to be put into the hole. For a 8 asa screw
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:42 AM   #360
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

These make great antlers!

I hope that you have all been having a good Christmas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #361
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like it just requires a rivnut to be put into the hole. For a 8 asa screw
Trouble is there isn't a pre-existing hole and to drill one would almost certainly involve removing the front guards (maybe a very long drill bit could get in there at the right angle but then the open bonnet would be a problem). Also part of the plastic water tray in the foreground would have to be removed.
I cut the ends off my extension rods to use a 3rd bolt on the carbon to alloy brace junction.
Attached Images

Last edited by David.m; 12-28-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:18 AM   #362
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone interested I've found a solution to torquing the fender riv-nut bolt (E14 torx). Get a 3/8 drive E14 torx socket, cut 5mm off the torx end and now fitted to my Kincrome 3/8 drive torque wrench I can get it under the guard lip, into the cup & onto the bolt.

I had considered cutting out a section out of the guard rail like the M2C has stock (as it's hidden by the plastic hood seal) but a panel beater mate warned that removing the rail's raised edge will increase risk of the panel buckling even from very minor impact.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #363
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
For anyone interested I've found a solution to torquing the fender riv-nut bolt (E14 torx). Get a 3/8 drive E14 torx socket, cut 5mm off the torx end and now fitted to my Kincrome 3/8 drive torque wrench I can get it under the guard lip, into the cup & onto the bolt.

I had considered cutting out a section out of the guard rail like the M2C has stock (as it's hidden by the plastic hood seal) but a panel beater mate warned that removing the rail's raised edge will increase risk of the panel buckling even from very minor impact.
I notched mine. Not only for install purposes, but for every time you need to take the brace out. Makes it OEM easy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #364
SIE_M2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I notched mine. Not only for install purposes, but for every time you need to take the brace out. Makes it OEM easy.
What did you use to notch the panel?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #365
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIE_M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
What did you use to notch the panel?
Step drill for the corners, then a hacksaw blade to join them up. Finally filed the profile to make it smooth and uniform. Make sure you paint it for protection.

The above sounds daunting, but realistically, the steel if very thin and easy to work.

WIP pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 12:15 AM   #366
NolaM2
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I did this a few weeks ago, added TC Kline camber plates at the same time. If you add the camber plates too, you do not need to purchase the bmw strut top bolts or the shock tower/reinforcement ring/top hat bolts. The camber plates come with their own bolts.

Also, as mentioned before, with the eventuri intake, you need to remove the intake shroud to get it to fit. Otherwise the intake sits too high to bolt down the carbon brace. You also cannot remove the intake housing to change air filter without removing the carbon brace now. However, you can get around this. If you remove the filter housing at the hose clamp, wiggle it off the intake pipe, then you can finagle it around to remove the filter allen bolts and filter, without removing the housing from the car. You do all the work in the engine bay... hope I described that well enough.

Also, the post above mine... my 2018 M2 was already cut in those spots from the factory.

Not sure what else to mention. Everything else is pretty well covered in this thread. Here's a list of part I purchased. Cost me $1775, but would've saved $35 if I hadn't purchased the unneeded bolts.

What do you mean when you say that it was already cut? Was the finder already notched? I also have a 18 LCI. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #367
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Just did the conversion and installed ohlins at the same time. Wow what a transformation! The front end is even more responsive and connected now!! Highly recommended esp if you're tracking. Hoping to test track effectiveness soon.

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #368
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
2 main clearance issues were

- close proximity of alloy brace to positive terminal under RHS cowl cover so lots of ocd-esque insulation tape on both brace and cables and heat shrink on the cables.

- brake servo hose rerouted by disconnecting and spinning retaining clip by 180deg before re-connecting brake servo hose to give hose route more clearance from brace.
I finally got around to fitting this at the weekend! (only been sat in the garage for half a year!)

I fitted it complete with Vorshlag camber plates. Wow - what a difference - the setup feels absolutely fantastic (and I haven't even dialed in any additional camber yet). (this is with GTS coding and AST coilovers also)

Bee Pee Please can you expand a little on the brake hose re-routing - I also have this issue also. Does twisting the connector 180 degrees enable the hose to push down further into the servo unit? I guess that you had to bleed the brakes after this? Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by widetyres; 08-02-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #369
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

No to bleeding the brakes - he's talking about the vacuum hose to the brake servo.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #370
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
No to bleeding the brakes - he's talking about the vacuum hose to the brake servo.
Ah, I misunderstood - I don't think that was an issue for me.

What I am referring to is the brake pipe for the right front brake - the red one in the picture below. My brace is pressing down on this. It is not too bad at the moment, as I don't have the fillster bolts in, but if there were in, I think that there would be too much pressure on the pipe.

Did anyone else have this issue? I suspect it is just be a case of undoing the pipe attachment to the ABS unit, and then sliding the pipe down a bit more.

Also, I really struggled to get the rivnuts to bite - I wasn't using a tool, but googled how to do it, and had washer/bolt/nuts with a couple of spanners, but it just wouldn't expand enough to hold properly. Any tips on how people did it, or recommendations on a tool that will fit in that space?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by widetyres; 08-02-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #371
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

What I am referring to is the brake pipe for the right front brake - the red one in the picture below. My brace is pressing down on this. It is not too bad at the moment, as I don't have the fillster bolts in, but if there were in, I think that there would be too much pressure on the pipe.

Did anyone else have this issue?

Also, I really struggled to get the rivnuts to bite - I wasn't using a tool, but googled how to do it, and had washer/bolt/nuts with a couple of spanners, but it just wouldn't expand enough to hold properly. Any tips on how people did it, or recommendations on a tool that will fit in that space?

Thanks.
I had an N55 M2 come to me once with this same issue (the brace had begun to dig a notch into the line from the contact). I used washers in between the bottom of the brace and the body to give it more standoff to clear the brake line.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      08-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #372
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I had an N55 M2 come to me once with this same issue (the brace had begun to dig a notch into the line from the contact). I used washers in between the bottom of the brace and the body to give it more standoff to clear the brake line.
Did you not consider deploying Brute Force to "realign" the pipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #373
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Did anyone else have this issue? I suspect it is just be a case of undoing the pipe attachment to the ABS unit, and then sliding the pipe down a bit more.

Thanks.
Notice how the diagram shows a somewhat different shape to that pipe compared to the picture...
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #374
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Thanks - good tip!
Appreciate 0