BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Performance Engine Software for the F87 M2 (N55)

06-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #67
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I think it may be most accurate to say that it's the turbo and the HPFP. N55 engine internals can handle quite a bit more power.
It’s flash, intercooler, turbo, and HPFP if you want more peak power consistently. If you want more peak power inconsistently, it’s a stage 2 flash and downpipe. If you want very little peak power increase but more power “under the curve,” inconsistently, it’s a flash only.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
Poochie9099.00
      06-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #68
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I mean, it doesn't cost them anything to just turn up the boost...
I've been meaning to ask you a few questions. I'm a bit old-school when it comes to turbos.

1. Do you know the stock turbo CFM?
2. What's the most popular turbo upgrade (not heavy hp, just a basic upgrade over stock).
3. What CFM does that turbo flow?

I know the turbo, like the FR, is holding the tunes back, I just don't know what part, and studying flow maps isn't my thing.

I'm looking for an answer like "stock turbo flows 400 CFM, and runs out of breath at 4800 rpm, and the most popular upgrade flows 550 CFM and corrects the high rpm hole and lengthens it."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #69
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
I mean, it doesn't cost them anything to just turn up the boost...
I've been meaning to ask you a few questions. I'm a bit old-school when it comes to turbos.

1. Do you know the stock turbo CFM?
2. What's the most popular turbo upgrade (not heavy hp, just a basic upgrade over stock).
3. What CFM does that turbo flow?

I know the turbo, like the FR, is holding the tunes back, I just don't know what part, and studying flow maps isn't my thing.

I'm looking for an answer like "stock turbo flows 400 CFM, and runs out of breath at 4800 rpm, and the most popular upgrade flows 550 CFM and corrects the high rpm hole and lengthens it."
Dinan and Pure Turbo makes a nice, hybrid setup, for the M2 N55.. It's the easiest way to add a little pep without having to replace the manifold and all the plumbing, with a larger snail turbo.. Anything beyond that, I have little experience or knowledge on.

My whole thing is and I hope no one takes offense by it, as I'm a friendly, with two N55s; anything over 400hp, is tapping out the mechanical limits of this pump, i.e. motor.

Regardless if it's the turbo, fuel or the actual motor, it's all the same to me, if you want more power, it's better to just upgrade vehicles, that pushing the powertrain to the edge, which it seems the stock M2 tune is already capping out at.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #70
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Dinan and Pure Turbo makes a nice, hybrid setup, for the M2 N55.. It's the easiest way to add a little pep without having to replace the manifold and all the plumbing, with a larger snail turbo.. Anything beyond that, I have little experience or knowledge on.

My whole thing is and I hope no one takes offense by it, as I'm a friendly, with two N55s; anything over 400hp, is tapping out the mechanical limits of this pump, i.e. motor.

Regardless if it's the turbo, fuel or the actual motor, it's all the same to me, if you want more power, it's better to just upgrade vehicles, that pushing the powertrain to the edge, which it seems the stock M2 tune is already capping out at.
Thanks for the info.

So, in your opinion, it's best to...

a.) upgrade the charge-pipe/intercooler/down-pipe/and use an OTS tune
b.) upgrade everything listed above, but get a custom tune
c.) upgrade everything listed above, plus a hybrid turbo/hpfpr/custom tune
d.) leave it the hell alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:

d.) leave it the hell alone.
Leave it as is and try to pay off the note; the G87 is coming with more power, stock, with no dreaded crank hub or charge pipe issues..

It's probably going to be ugly as sin but it's not going to lack, in the power department..

That's just my humble opinion..
Appreciate 1
skiparock182.50
      06-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #72
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Leave it as is and try to pay off the note; the G87 is coming with more power, stock, with no dreaded crank hub or charge pipe issues..

It's probably going to be ugly as sin but it's not going to lack, in the power department..

That's just my humble opinion..
Thanks for the info.

My preference has always been aesthetics over ultimate performance, so I'll stick with the F87.

The option for my car will be b.), as I much prefer custom tunes, and feel like BMW left a bit on the table that can be had for cheap without shortening the life of the engine a single minute.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #73
Cheese123
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
What is the story for those of us particularly devoted Dinan customers who invested in a Dinan Stage 4 piggyback, with up-rated turbo? What is their reward?

Or is that the "Elite Dinantronics" kit you are referring to above? I don't remember that nomenclature back when the Stage 4 came out....
FWIW I had the stage 4 dinatronics removed and replaced with the stage 1 flash tune at the local dealership. It honestly feels like it pulls stronger on the flash. Its pulls hard up top consistently gear after gear, never any hickups. I woyuld reccomend it personally, its just feels healthier overall for lack of a better word. I do have an upgraded chargepipe and Dinan HPFP as well too for extra insurance in a sense.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
BruceM983.00
      06-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #74
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese123 View Post
FWIW I had the stage 4 dinatronics removed and replaced with the stage 1 flash tune at the local dealership. It honestly feels like it pulls stronger on the flash. Its pulls hard up top consistently gear after gear, never any hickups. I woyuld reccomend it personally, its just feels healthier overall for lack of a better word. I do have an upgraded chargepipe and Dinan HPFP as well too for extra insurance in a sense.
Good to know, thanks. But I think you mean the Dinan LPFP? That's a relatively inexpensive mod and I've done it too, along with a sport-catted DP and a CP. But I'm not aware of a Dinan HPFP for our cars? A HPFP is a much bigger deal....

You guys get 93 out there, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:51 AM   #75
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese123 View Post
Dinan turbo makes 390whp on dynojet on BM3 OTS STG2 93oct, given a nice cool day.

When condition is optimal, Dinan Piggyback can get close in performance, but it's way less consistent and also stress the fueling a lot more, boost for boost.

Check out a few of my threads for more info.
Attached Images

BruceM983.00
      06-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #76
Cheese123
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. But I think you mean the Dinan LPFP? That's a relatively inexpensive mod and I've done it too, along with a sport-catted DP and a CP. But I'm not aware of a Dinan HPFP for our cars? A HPFP is a much bigger deal....

You guys get 93 out there, right?
Yup, 93 is basically at every pump out here. The fuel pump I have installed is this one - https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/R420-0002

My build is a little weird because my exhaust system is 100% stock, meaning the intake, downpipe, midpipe and axle back are all stock, but I do have an ER chargepipe. I only switched from their piggyback stage 4 to stage 1 flash because it was offered for free at my dealership - they are trying to move everyone to the flashes instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #77
BruceM
Major
Rep

Yup, that's the LPFP. It's the HPFPs out there that are the comparatively big bucks, needed to support big power.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #78
Mosfry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Z4 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Is that 4/50 from the time of installation?
Matches the factory new car warranty so 4/50 from time of vehicle purchase/ownership and/or total mileage. So, if you have a 2016 MY M2 you have no warranty left, or very little, and have little incentive to look at the Dinan + tune with the factory matching warranty.

Quote:
What is the story for those of us particularly devoted Dinan customers who invested in a Dinan Stage 4 piggyback, with up-rated turbo? What is their reward?

Or is that the "Elite Dinantronics" kit you are referring to above? I don't remember that nomenclature back when the Stage 4 came out....
Stage 4 DINANTRONICS Elite would translate into the Stage 2 Flash. The big turbo M2 mapping (stage 2) is in the works as well although there will be little difference in peak power with it versus what is presented here with stage 1. The difference will be mainly in a healthier delta in the lower/mid RPM range and the power holding for a bit longer. Already at the cusp of what is possible given fueling limitations unfortunately.

The flash, regardless of stage, allows you versatilty in octanes, removes the governor, updates the sport gauges, and generally is just a more complete tune then its DINANTRONICS counterpart.

So, you can wait for the stage 2 flash if you like or switch over to the stage 1 flash now and then upgrade later (difference is basically just 2 install fees vs. 1). Either way you get more out of the flash although for stage 4 DINANTRONICS users that difference is really more in features than anything else at this point. The one thing you will lose the ability to do would be to turn off the tune like you can with DINANTRONICS but typically you don't want to go to stock power levels so not sure how big a deal that may be for some.
Hey Dinan

Do you have an update/eta for the stage 2 flash for those with the stage 4 upgrades already? Excited to switch over.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #79
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosfry View Post
Hey Dinan

Do you have an update/eta for the stage 2 flash for those with the stage 4 upgrades already? Excited to switch over.

TIA
The callibration is done. Just waiting for it to go through our newly required internal emissions testing protocols. While we have used a sister company in the past to assist with this process the equipment/fuels needed have been slowly arriving at our location in Alabama over the last few weeks so we can do it ourselves going forward. Will temporarily be having one of our dynos doing double duty but we are also in the process of adding a 5th dyno that will be dedicated to emissions testing. Last I heard we were hoping to have everything up an running internally in the next 30 days so a public release of stage 2 would probably be in the Halloween to Thanksgiving range.

That said, power wise its only a small step up from stage 1 as the biggest limiting factor is still fueling on the platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #80
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Hi there,

Given the fugliness of the new M3/M4 I'm most likely buying out my M2 post lease and lightly modding it.

If I were to install a quality intercooler (Wagner or similar) at the same time as the stage 1 93 flash would you still cover everything under your warranty? I'm assuming so but would like confirmation. I run 94 octane (PetroCan with Ethanol) only in the car.

Thanks,
Chris
      09-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #81
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
Hi there,

Given the fugliness of the new M3/M4 I'm most likely buying out my M2 post lease and lightly modding it.

If I were to install a quality intercooler (Wagner or similar) at the same time as the stage 1 93 flash would you still cover everything under your warranty? I'm assuming so but would like confirmation. I run 94 octane (PetroCan with Ethanol) only in the car.

Thanks,
Chris
Wouldn't cover anything that is not an OE or Dinan part nor any issues that would be caused by a non-OE or Dinan part. I can't think of anything that an IC might do that would fit the bill offhand for that to be applicable but that's the boiler plate gray area guidelines when it comes to warranty and non Dinan parts. Regardless, generally speaking the warranty would still be intact.
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      01-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #82
Mosfry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The callibration is done. Just waiting for it to go through our newly required internal emissions testing protocols. While we have used a sister company in the past to assist with this process the equipment/fuels needed have been slowly arriving at our location in Alabama over the last few weeks so we can do it ourselves going forward. Will temporarily be having one of our dynos doing double duty but we are also in the process of adding a 5th dyno that will be dedicated to emissions testing. Last I heard we were hoping to have everything up an running internally in the next 30 days so a public release of stage 2 would probably be in the Halloween to Thanksgiving range.

That said, power wise its only a small step up from stage 1 as the biggest limiting factor is still fueling on the platform.
Hey Dinan do you have an update on this?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #83
Mosfry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Dinan do you have an update on this?

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Dinan

TIA

Bump

Dinan do you have an update on this?
Appreciate 1
BruceM983.00
      02-03-2021, 12:17 AM   #84
BruceM
Major
Rep

"Bump

Dinan do you have an update on this?"

Yeah, we are pretty much beyond the "Halloween to Thanksgiving" timeframe by now...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #85
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bump

Dinan do you have an update on this?
Quote:
Yeah, we are pretty much beyond the "Halloween to Thanksgiving" timeframe by now...
We are indeed. And the emissions dyno is still just a hole in the ground. =/ Have went down a rabbit hole in that construction ever since contractors didn't accurately scan the ground beneath the pad. Without the dedicated dyno complete we have been attempting to share some of the emissions load with the other dyno's in between development but the operating range for the test equipment requires warmer weather then what we typically get down here in winter. Hence the construction of the temperature controlled emissions dyno cell in the first place. This leaves very few opportunities/days to even do any testing between the 2 brands resulting in some "competitive" jostling of what gets the priority when conditions are met. It's in queue but its still further down the list I am afraid.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. Unbeknownst to me apparently the sister facility in Utah had the opportunity to do the emissions stuff recently on an S2 M2 so this will actually be publicly released in the very near future.

EDIT 2: Stage 2 released. Info can be found HERE.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-03-2021 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Update again.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #86
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Dinan, does your stage 1 tune address the “lag between shifts” issue on the 6MT that BM3 has recently been able to solve in their latest update?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #87
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Dinan, does your stage 1 tune address the “lag between shifts” issue on the 6MT that BM3 has recently been able to solve in their latest update?
I am not aware of doing any special programming/changes for a 6MT calibration. Of course its been quite some time since we have seen a N55 6MT M2 in house though as well. If there is something specific needed I am sure we could address it pretty quickly with a car exhibiting the issue in house to play with.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #88
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Dinantronics Stg 1 to Dinan Stg 2 Flash

Hi I am considering my options, I have a Dinantronics Stg 1 piggyback on my 2017 M2 6spd with the Dinan intercooler and HJS 300 cell sport cat...I am getting ready to add the Dinan Turbo.

Two questions, 1)given your exchange program what is the cost to go from the Dinantronics Stg 1 to the Flash Stg 2?
2) Does the flash adapt to get the benefit of the 300 cell sport cat? (if not is the power gained from the sport cat nullified or simply not fully realized?)
Appreciate 0