BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C 2NH Street Brake Pads

12-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Porterfiled R4S has been our best seller for a sport street application. Good bite all around and slightly less dusty than stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Porterfiled R4S has been our best seller for a sport street application. Good bite all around and slightly less dusty than stock pads.
Do you have any leverage to request Akebono to make pads for the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #25
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Do you have any leverage to request Akebono to make pads for the M2C?
No, we don't.

if someone approaches them and asks for 12+ sets, they may make it.

Porterfield R4S is an excellent sport street pad. Hawk 5.0 and Ceramics are both available now as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #26
neil_79
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
No, we don't.

if someone approaches them and asks for 12+ sets, they may make it.

Porterfield R4S is an excellent sport street pad. Hawk 5.0 and Ceramics are both available now as well.
Following this with interest - I've just taken delivery of an M2C which is fantastic, but I would prefer a more performance orientated street pad and if it produces less brake dust, all the better. Whilst UK based, I've heard good things about the Akebono Performance pads.

I can't believe Brembo don't make a pad for the front caliper in their Brembo Sport range - they now have one for the rear, but I don't want to create an imbalance in the system by only upgrading the rears.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #27
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Well which EBC pads did you use on track? A street pad?
lols you ask me as if i dont know what im doing. i spent 10 years on a race track i think i know a bit about brake pads.. EBC are crap. period. they fall to crap. the compounds are rubbish have terrible wear and wont cop the abuse of a sprint and endurance events.

I've tried everything from Redstuff/Yellow Stuff to RP1 and they are just rubbish EVERYONE of them..the fact NUMEROUS people on this thread alone have heard bad things about EBC is my case in point they are a rubbish product

switched over to PAGID RS29 and never had problems since...and this isnt just on my BMW M2C .. this is on all my cars ive raced

people who spend a truck load of time on track wont go any where near EBC .. they'll buy everything from endless, to project mu to pagids you name it...

irrespective of whether people overheat their pads or not they shouldnt break up and crumble and go to shit after one track event. period! heaps of people use OEM brake pads abuse them over heat them on track and they dont crumble and go to shit. So thats a poor excuse and justification to say people over heat them thats why you have problems

If that doesnt smack of quality issues I dont know what does

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5

I guess you're the expert and everyone on this google search listing is all full of it yeh ?

Last edited by Robbyjai; 12-23-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #28
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Ceramic coat your wheels and use stock pads. All pads dust. Period. And stay away from the POS "ceramic" pads. Tried the Brembo version on the X5 and they sucked really bad. I rather deal with dust than sliding into another car b/c I couldn't stop.

Oh and for steer pads EBC suck. Put a set of greens on the wife's car and the kept glazing over and squealing. End up having to buy new stock pads and toss the EBCs
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:49 AM   #29
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Carbotech has a fitment for the 2NH brake system and their street pad 1521 is claimed to be very low dusting by them.
Anybody have experience with the 1521 pads?

Thanks

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #30
brandontrek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, S54 E36/8 M Coupe, X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Carbotech has a fitment for the 2NH brake system and their street pad 1521 is claimed to be very low dusting by them.
Anybody have experience with the 1521 pads?

Thanks
We have had a few cars with the 1521 on them. Right now we have them on our E46 M3 with a front Stoptech Kit. Initial bite isn't the same on the M3 as it was on other cars with the 1521 pads, but they are less dusty. One nice thing about carbotech is you can change the pads to a track compound without having to swap rotors. We ran like this for years on our Miata(running 1521 on the street and swapping to XP12 for the track on the same rotors).

I have to echo what everyone else here has said about EBC, they are crap and I would never recommend them.

I have heard good things about the Powerstop Z26 giving good bite and low dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #31
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyjai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Well which EBC pads did you use on track? A street pad?
lols you ask me as if i dont know what im doing. i spent 10 years on a race track i think i know a bit about brake pads.. EBC are crap. period. they fall to crap. the compounds are rubbish have terrible wear and wont cop the abuse of a sprint and endurance events.

I've tried everything from Redstuff/Yellow Stuff to RP1 and they are just rubbish EVERYONE of them..the fact NUMEROUS people on this thread alone have heard bad things about EBC is my case in point they are a rubbish product

switched over to PAGID RS29 and never had problems since...and this isnt just on my BMW M2C .. this is on all my cars ive raced

people who spend a truck load of time on track wont go any where near EBC .. they'll buy everything from endless, to project mu to pagids you name it...

irrespective of whether people overheat their pads or not they shouldnt break up and crumble and go to shit after one track event. period! heaps of people use OEM brake pads abuse them over heat them on track and they dont crumble and go to shit. So thats a poor excuse and justification to say people over heat them thats why you have problems

If that doesnt smack of quality issues I dont know what does

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...CA0&uact=5

I guess you're the expert and everyone on this google search listing is all full of it yeh ?
Listen here my overly aggressive Australian friend. When you follow your link, it shows people overheating their non race pads. I only offer my opinion on pads I've tried, and in this case it's the EBC rp-x race pad. Every pad you listed to compare against is not the rp-x pad.

Now let's address your finest immature point from your reply, if the measure of time/yrs tracking correlates to knowledge as you tried to suggest, then I raise your 10yrs to my personal 16yrs and have you beat. Go home.
      01-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #32
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

yeh EBC are soo good thats why they use it in professional race series right ??? lols gtfo and go home. the fact professional racers and semi pros wont even go near EBC is indicative enough its a garbage product lols
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #33
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyjai View Post
yeh EBC are soo good thats why they use it in professional race series right ??? lols gtfo and go home. the fact professional racers and semi pros wont even go near EBC is indicative enough its a garbage product lols
This thread isn't about race pads, GTFO. EBC Reds are excellent for the street (I know, I've actually used them and like them better than DS2500, BMW, R4S, and other street pads I've used).

Talking about the pads OP listed, R4S has good feel (more natural linear, not quite as abrupt bite), far less dust than stock M2C pads, but I've still seen some slight squeal at low speeds when coming to a stop (I think it's an acceptable amount). I've seen some quality issues on these pads where the rear backing plate/shim was made too large so it didn't actually fit in the caliper (I had to modify the shims).

The EBC Red dusts less than the R4S, and is also more natural than the stock pads. I've had no issues with these in fast road driving, but I wouldn't use these in a constant max throttle/max brake type driving (think how you drive when bedding brakes, except much loner than that). You can overheat these pads (and I've done that) doing max throttle/max braking driving, but to get there you do have to be deliberately doing that. There have been plenty of times I've had to near panic brake to avoid an incident and these have never failed and always felt confidence inspiring. I haven't had any noise at all with the EBC Reds.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 01-05-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:12 PM   #34
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Hawk HPS 5.0 ate the rotors on my Mazda 3 pretty quickly and did not have great initial bite, ymmv though. I now have Raybestos EHT pads on there and really like them, but they are not made in M2 or M2C shapes. Better initial bite, better bite in the cold/rain, and even less dust.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #35
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Hawk HPS 5.0 ate the rotors on my Mazda 3 pretty quickly and did not have great initial bite, ymmv though. I now have Raybestos EHT pads on there and really like them, but they are not made in M2 or M2C shapes. Better initial bite, better bite in the cold/rain, and even less dust.
I've also used the Raybestos EHT pads on a Mazda 3, haha. They're decent, but I think the OE Mazda pads are better (I believe they're Akebono). They have better bite.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #36
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I've also used the Raybestos EHT pads on a Mazda 3, haha. They're decent, but I think the OE Mazda pads are better (I believe they're Akebono). They have better bite.
My OE pads might have had slightly better bite, but I can't tell because I had the Hawk in the middle. Still, they had way better bite than the HPS 5.0. My Mazda 3 is older (2010) and I don't know if the OEM pad was Akebono for that year, they were super dusty with dark dust like older BMW pads. Pretty sure they were not ceramic even though RockAuto says so.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #37
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
My OE pads might have had slightly better bite, but I can't tell because I had the Hawk in the middle. Still, they had way better bite than the HPS 5.0. My Mazda 3 is older (2010) and I don't know if the OEM pad was Akebono for that year, they were super dusty with dark dust like older BMW pads. Pretty sure they were not ceramic even though RockAuto says so.
The 3 I put them on was a 2011, same gen . Talk about cars with low consumables rates!
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50