BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > TC Kline v. M-Performance suspension on a STREET M2C?

01-02-2021, 11:42 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

TC Kline v. M-Performance suspension on a STREET M2C?

Gents--

I've searched, but haven't really seen any straight comparisons between the two setups.

Any thoughts on what might be best for a 95% STREET setup? Looking for a) a little better/more settled low-speed "daily driver" compliance, but still suitable for "spirited" street driving, and b) a small drop (no more than 1/2" or so to compensate for the gap I'm going to get with 30-series tires). I might, might do an occasional "How to drive your car better" HPDE, but no "real" racing/track events. I am looking for a "set and forget" suspension-- there's no way I'll be tinkering with various settings. I just want to get it sorted, and then leave it alone.

I'm going to be installing 19" Apex EC-7's w/ 265/295-30 MP4S's on the car as well (on backorder). According to Apex, if I run the M-Performance suspension, I'll have to use an additional 5mm spacer up front to compensate for the shape of the M-P front spring. If the TC Kline could avoid that, it would be outstanding. Additionally, the TC Kline come with camber plates, so that more or less balances out the pricing.

Any thoughts either way? Are the TC Kline too much of a "race" setup? I had Koni's on my e46 M3 back in the day and really liked them, but things change in 15 years.

Basically, everything I've read says that the M-Performance suspension rides better than the stock suspension from a "daily driver" point of view, but better (there's an oxymoron). That's what I'm looking for, but I really want to avoid wheel spacers if I can.

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
mmwwhats
Rep
Drives: m235 xdrive

While not exactly addressing your question, we're discussing a similar topic here:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1788139

(Admittedly, I'm not sure I'm linking this other thread correctly)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwhats View Post
While not exactly addressing your question, we're discussing a similar topic here:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1788139

(Admittedly, I'm not sure I'm linking this other thread correctly)
Thanks-- already posted/subscribed to that thread.

I actually emailed TC Kline tonight to see what they have to say. From the pictures I can see, it *sure* looks like there's more than 5mm difference between the TC Kline springs and the MPS springs-- which would (should?) mean that I could do the suspension without having to mess with wheel spacers (Yay!).

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Gents--

I've searched, but haven't really seen any straight comparisons between the two setups.

Any thoughts on what might be best for a 95% STREET setup? Looking for a) a little better/more settled low-speed "daily driver" compliance, but still suitable for "spirited" street driving, and b) a small drop (no more than 1/2" or so to compensate for the gap I'm going to get with 30-series tires). I might, might do an occasional "How to drive your car better" HPDE, but no "real" racing/track events. I am looking for a "set and forget" suspension-- there's no way I'll be tinkering with various settings. I just want to get it sorted, and then leave it alone.

I'm going to be installing 19" Apex EC-7's w/ 265/295-30 MP4S's on the car as well (on backorder). According to Apex, if I run the M-Performance suspension, I'll have to use an additional 5mm spacer up front to compensate for the shape of the M-P front spring. If the TC Kline could avoid that, it would be outstanding. Additionally, the TC Kline come with camber plates, so that more or less balances out the pricing.

Any thoughts either way? Are the TC Kline too much of a "race" setup? I had Koni's on my e46 M3 back in the day and really liked them, but things change in 15 years.

Basically, everything I've read says that the M-Performance suspension rides better than the stock suspension from a "daily driver" point of view, but better (there's an oxymoron). That's what I'm looking for, but I really want to avoid wheel spacers if I can.

TIA--

R.
I appreciate all the footwork you are doing for me. I'm already running Ohlins but I don't think I want to go through the effort of a spring change and re-valve. Is there a Goldilocks solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
I appreciate all the footwork you are doing for me. I'm already running Ohlins but I don't think I want to go through the effort of a spring change and re-valve. Is there a Goldilocks solution?
I'm sure there is a "Goldilocks" solution for you. The problem is that what is Goldilocks for one person could be mushy or too firm to someone else. The only way to be sure is to drive with a setup for awhile...which is next to impossible unless you buy them. I'm in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

I got a very nice email back from TCK today in response to some questions I had. It's sounding more and more like the TCK setup is the way to go for me.

One of the bigger draws is that he doesn't use conical front springs-- which means my EC-7 setup w/ 265/295 rubber will fit without spacers. That makes everything easier, so it's sort of tipping my hand.

I'm going to try to chat with him in the next few days.

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
I got a very nice email back from TCK today in response to some questions I had. It's sounding more and more like the TCK setup is the way to go for me.

One of the bigger draws is that he doesn't use conical front springs-- which means my EC-7 setup w/ 265/295 rubber will fit without spacers. That makes everything easier, so it's sort of tipping my hand.

I'm going to try to chat with him in the next few days.

R.
I almost switched my Ohlins for the TCK 300/600 setup but decided to trying softer springs 60/110nm (342/626lb) before departing with the Ohlins.

I would not be afraid to go with TCK, setup is proven with many satisfied customers. I would be very hesitant between MPS and TCK..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I would be very hesitant between MPS and TCK..
I don't understand.

Could you explain?

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would be very hesitant between MPS and TCK..
I don't understand.

Could you explain?

R.
A a lot of satisfied owners using M performance suspension and my track partner too, he did not try it but if you go beyond the BMW suggested adjustments you can make it very comfortable or very stiff. A lot of care as been taken by BMW to make sure it meets there quality and NVH standards, there are more rubber isolators not present on the KW version or other brands.

EDIT: Oh and if you never use your M2 on track the camber plates are not really needed and will just add additional NVH
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm sure there is a "Goldilocks" solution for you. The problem is that what is Goldilocks for one person could be mushy or too firm to someone else. The only way to be sure is to drive with a setup for awhile...which is next to impossible unless you buy them. I'm in the same boat.
Agree, we all have our own happy place. I committed to the Ohlins in part because I run them on my S2000 and they are at least familiar and I needed something ASAP to get the car lowered.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I almost switched my Ohlins for the TCK 300/600 setup but decided to trying softer springs 70/110nm (342/626lb) before departing with the Ohlins.

I would not be afraid to go with TCK, setup is proven with many satisfied customers. I would be very hesitant between MPS and TCK..
I would consider doing this - did you have to get the dampers re-valved for the softer springs? Are you happy with the 70/110? How far are you lowered?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Quote:
I almost switched my Ohlins for the TCK 300/600 setup but decided to trying softer springs 70/110nm (342/626lb) before departing with the Ohlins.

I would consider doing this - did you have to get the dampers re-valved for the softer springs? Are you happy with the 70/110? How far are you lowered?
It's been a long road, I'll resume it so It will be written for future reference.

- I took delivery of my 2018 bone stock M2 and did 2 track days in the following months just before winter.

- I was not happy with the oem suspension performance and ride so I researched during winter and per forum reviews I ordered Dinan HAS kit

- I started 2019 season with Dinan HAS, Vorshlag Camber plates and Cup 2 tires 255/275 on oem wheels. Performance on track was great but way less confidence inspiring than my friend with MPS. Street comfort was not better and maybe worse.

- During next winter I ordered Ohlins kit (recommended height) with 70/140 springs. I started 2020 with worn cup 2 and made 2 days with them and afterwards installed Toyo R888R OEM size. Altrought suspension performance was a lot better on track, tire performance was lacking and I could do no better than in 2019. Street comfort was better but not up to my taste and this even with MP4S tire I got later in the season.

- Mid season I sent my shocks to 3dm motorsports to revalve the rears (they come overdampled from factory) and replace a faulty bushing causing knocking on the fronts. I was hoping for a smoother ride but it did not change much.

- So I decided to give Ohlins a final chance to please me and ordered Swift 60/110nm springs. 3dm told me my actual valving will take it. I will be installing this setup in the next months before spring. I will also be running a new square setup made of Apex 18x10 wheels and new tires (probably Yoko A052) in 265 or 275/35-18 maybe even 285/30-18 depending on clearance.

- I will also adjust my height to a little higher than the Ohlins specs since I want to drive the car in the winter eventually. If I recall correctly Ohlins is 10mm lower than OEM
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #13
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's been a long road, I'll resume it so It will be written for future reference.

- I took delivery of my 2018 bone stock M2 and did 2 track days in the following months just before winter.

- I was not happy with the oem suspension performance and ride so I researched during winter and per forum reviews I ordered Dinan HAS kit

- I started 2019 season with Dinan HAS, Vorshlag Camber plates and Cup 2 tires 255/275 on oem wheels. Performance on track was great but way less confidence inspiring than my friend with MPS. Street comfort was not better and maybe worse.

- During next winter I ordered Ohlins kit (recommended height) with 70/140 springs. I started 2020 with worn cup 2 and made 2 days with them and afterwards installed Toyo R888R OEM size. Altrought suspension performance was a lot better on track, tire performance was lacking and I could do no better than in 2019. Street comfort was better but not up to my taste and this even with MP4S tire I got later in the season.

- Mid season I sent my shocks to 3dm motorsports to revalve the rears (they come overdampled from factory) and replace a faulty bushing causing knocking on the fronts. I was hoping for a smoother ride but it did not change much.

- So I decided to give Ohlins a final chance to please me and ordered Swift 60/110nm springs. 3dm told me my actual valving will take it. I will be installing this setup in the next months before spring. I will also be running a new square setup made of Apex 18x10 wheels and new tires (probably Yoko A052) in 265 or 275/35-18 maybe even 285/30-18 depending on clearance.

- I will also adjust my height to a little higher than the Ohlins specs since I want to drive the car in the winter eventually. If I recall correctly Ohlins is 10mm lower than OEM
Thanks! Appreciate the info and details of your journey.
Appreciate 0