BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > XHP for DCT

10-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #1
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

XHP for DCT

I've had XHP on the car for a week and a bit now.

I'm running a OG M2 N55 with FBO + Stage 2 Dorch HPFP and a custom E85 tune.

I'll summarise my broad feedback on both the GTS and XHP (so far). However whilst I'm an enthusiast I'm probably not as particular or attentive as some. I'm keen to hear if others have tried XHP, with what mods and what settings they like to use.

GTS Tune
I put the GTS tune on as soon as I put BM3 on about 2 years ago, so I can't remember much of the original gearbox tune. What I recall is that the GTS tune always tried to shift up as early as possible in comparison to the original tune that held gears for longer.

The GTS tune also doesn't change at all based on driving mode. The speed of shifts, downshifts etc. were the same regardess of comfort, sport, sport plus, 'traction' mode and DSC off.

With the GTS tune I primarily drove in manual mode so I really liked that I got the quick shift speed regardless of mode. I'm also not a big fan of burbles but like them on occassion. So I'd primarily drive in comfort (i.e. no burbles) and then reserved the sports mode for when I wanted to turn off DSC or have burbles.

The GTS tune was terrible for launch control once I went above OTS stage 1. It just launched too aggressively and resulted in way too much wheelspin. 0-100 times got slower and slower the more power I added due to wheelspin.

Otherwise I loved the GTS tune. Shifts were nice any punchy and I didn't mind the sedate automatic mode because on the odd occassion when I'd use it I wanted these early shifts anyway.

XHP
I primarily got XHP for the launch control customisation. I had no problems other than this with the GTS tune, but as I'm now running full E85 it was just way too aggressive for the power.

At the moment I dislike how XHP changes the character of manual downshifts and upshifts based on driving modes. Per what I said above re burbles, I don't always want to have to select sports mode to have a nice downshift. Apparently XHP are looking into this. For the meantime I've just turned burbles off and am using sport mode much more frequently now.

Comfort mode (manual)
Downshifts with no throttle are mega slow. I'm talking 1+ second from click to shift. It doesn't blip the throttle, it just slips the clutch with a small amount of throttle input to rev match, when it eventually shifts. It's way too sedate for me. If you have throttle applied the downshift is much quicker and very smooth.

Comfort mode (automatic)
It's similar to the GTS in that it's always trying to select the highest gear. Shifts are much smoother though. I didn't think you could get any smoother than the GTS tune but they are. I personally didn't mind the mechanical feeling of the GTS shifts though, so some may like this and others won't. It can probably be dialed up with torque punch etc. The more I drive it, the more I like the smoothness in comfort mode.

Sport/Sports+/Traction/DSC Off
Sport modes / DSC off are good with XHP. Sport automatic is nice and the gearbox is pretty intuative with shift points and holding gears, though I still preference selecting my own gears when I'm pushing on. They are bloody quick and smooth shifts though and it's nice to be able to dial in the torque punch etc. that you want.

Sport+ in automatic mode is wayyy to agressive in the default settings. I believe this can be adjusted but haven't looked into it as I rarely use this mode.

Launch control is a thousand times better with the ability to select lower RPMs. I'm still playing around with settings to figure out what will give me the smoothest and fastest launch but it's much better than the stock launch control which just goes full send. My 0-10kmh times are around 0.3 of a second faster with XHP. I'm using a dragy with no roll out.

I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any other specific questions.

In terms of recommendations, I think based on cost etc. that I'd probably only recommend XHP to those that are at least stage 2 or above. Any less than that and I really don't think it's worth the cost IMO - just because of how good our gearboxes are from factory. If you're stage 1 with no mods you'd be better spending the money on a FMIC / Downpipe.

Also, here's a video I filmed with a friend when we first put the flash on.

https://youtu.be/gI1pRdGZ6yk
Appreciate 2
SCCThree813.00
eldogo274.00
      12-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Thank you for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
I primarily got XHP for the launch control customization. I had no problems other than this with the GTS tune, but as I'm now running full E85 it was just way too aggressive for the power.

...Launch control is a thousand times better with the ability to select lower RPMs.
You can raise and lower the launch control in 500 RPM increments via the cruise control buttons stock without requiring XHP.
      12-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #4
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
You can raise and lower the launch control in 500 RPM increments via the cruise control buttons stock without requiring XHP.
Not as low as you can go with XHP. From memory the minimum was around 3,000rpm on the stock transmission flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The funny thing with the THOR DCT flash is they set the launch RPMs at 5500rpm+, vs stock ~3500rpm.

Imagine the looks I got at the Royal Farms (after filling up with half E85) by going into launch mode simply to ratchet down THORs default launch RPM, not to actually launch.

Super loud 5500 RPM engine throttling noise clicking down 100rpm at a time until I got down to 2900rpm. Now I actually need to go try the launch with my 500wft-lbs at 2500rpm!

Surely the XHP guys did a better job than the THOR guys picking a default launch RPM?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
The funny thing with the THOR DCT flash is they set the launch RPMs at 5500rpm+, vs stock ~3500rpm.

Imagine the looks I got at the Royal Farms (after filling up with half E85) by going into launch mode simply to ratchet down THORs default launch RPM, not to actually launch.

Super loud 5500 RPM engine throttling noise clicking down 100rpm at a time until I got down to 2900rpm. Now I actually need to go try the launch with my 500wft-lbs at 2500rpm!

Surely the XHP guys did a better job than the THOR guys picking a default launch RPM?
They have fixed that in the most recent update
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      12-29-2020, 03:01 AM   #7
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post

With XHP you can choose the default launch RPM, minimum and maximum. I set mine to default to 2,500 and I can then increase or decrease depending on conditions.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      12-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

On the street anything above 4k rpm launch rpm is really useless IMHO
Appreciate 1
Smiler1.50
      01-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Can you change the auto shift RPM with XHP, e.g., instead of 7K, can you make it 6k?

Edit: Looks like you can https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...dules#Max.-RPM

Altho, hard to justify $500 to get that feature when I'm pretty happy with THOR so far.

Last edited by ZM2; 01-27-2021 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0