BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Quick advice: OG M2 2017...upgrading to stage 2

03-14-2024, 05:28 PM   #1
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Quick advice: OG M2 2017...upgrading to stage 2

I have finally decided to upgrade my 2017 M2 (currently stock DCT with MPE) and would like to do a FBO stage 2 mod. I have access to 93 octane fuel (containing 10% ethanol).

I do not plan to dyno my car or get any custom tunes, only the OTS ones from bootmod3. No racetrack, just spirited driving once in a while. No emission controls here in Canada, and the weather is mostly not very hot. I absolutely want to avoid catless noise and smell, and do not mind a CEL. Oh, and finally, I would like to keep the budget as low as possible....

Here is what I have come with so far, after browsing this forum for 20+ hours:

New chargepipe, anything will do (ARM N55 chargepipe is the cheapest I find)
New intercooler, VRSF HD intercooler 5"
New downpipe, VRSF catted downpipe (the MAD one is cheaper, but I am unable to find any feedback about it)

Would that be what you guys call FBO? Any other suggestions for a similar price? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I know almost nothing about car mechanics...!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:31 PM   #2
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

I would get the multi map 93 ots stage bm3, and I would think of future plan for flex fuel( optional )sensor.
In case you like to try the E30 map you can switch from 93-e30 without flashing.
Csf is a good option for FMIC

I would go catless but catted is still a good option but I believe you better go with a better brands.
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 02:40 AM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Turbo inlet.
Uprated DV valve if you want, I run turbo smart.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      03-15-2024, 09:04 AM   #4
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I have finally decided to upgrade my 2017 M2 (currently stock DCT with MPE) and would like to do a FBO stage 2 mod. I have access to 93 octane fuel (containing 10% ethanol).

I do not plan to dyno my car or get any custom tunes, only the OTS ones from bootmod3. No racetrack, just spirited driving once in a while. No emission controls here in Canada, and the weather is mostly not very hot. I absolutely want to avoid catless noise and smell, and do not mind a CEL. Oh, and finally, I would like to keep the budget as low as possible....

Here is what I have come with so far, after browsing this forum for 20+ hours:

New chargepipe, anything will do (ARM N55 chargepipe is the cheapest I find)
New intercooler, VRSF HD intercooler 5"
New downpipe, VRSF catted downpipe (the MAD one is cheaper, but I am unable to find any feedback about it)

Would that be what you guys call FBO? Any other suggestions for a similar price? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I know almost nothing about car mechanics...!
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post30987804
      03-15-2024, 10:38 AM   #5
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Turbo inlet.
Uprated DV valve if you want, I run turbo smart.
Thank you for your suggestions and link. I have no plan to upgrade the turbo. In that case, is there any benefit in changing the turbo inlet or the DV valve?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:25 AM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions and link. I have no plan to upgrade the turbo. In that case, is there any benefit in changing the turbo inlet or the DV valve?
Throttle response, increased top end power. It does feel better and more sporty.
      03-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #7
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep

What upgrades are people doing when they do a "FBO stage 2" on their N55 M2? my guess is there is no consensus, but what is the general, mostly accepted definition for "FBO stage 2" which I read about here and there?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:32 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
What upgrades are people doing when they do a "FBO stage 2" on their N55 M2? my guess is there is no consensus, but what is the general, mostly accepted definition for "FBO stage 2" which I read about here and there?
1. The charge-pipe needs to be addressed before you do any mods, as it'll blow even with stock power.

2. A down-pipe, intercooler and tune are considered to be FBO.

3. The boost pipe, inlet, and diverter valve are extras, but most consider them worth the trouble/price.

4. If you plan to use a 93 OTS tune you are required to do a few logs to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up. On some cars it doesn't, and on others it does, no rhyme or reason. If you don't do the logs you are taking your engine in your hands. If you do the 91 OTS tune you're pretty safe without the logs, but they are still preferred.

The 93 OTS map with the other mods should get you 430 hp and 490 tq, and the kicker is that your throttle response and turbo lag will feel worse than stock, even if they're both better. For most the extra power is worth it.

If I had it to do over again I'd do a charge-pipe, Fabspeed sport cat, boost-pipe, inlet, and DV + custom tune, but I don't track my car or suffer from hp envy.

Lastly, make sure to do your research on which parts fit together easily, and which ones don't, because that's a thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:16 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
it's not about what is "mostly accepted"; these are mandatory upgrades you must have on your to run stage 2 maps or you risk damaging it. the mandatory mods are intercooler, charge pipe and high flow downpipe (could be catted or catless).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:44 AM   #10
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0