BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > OFFICIAL: M2C Exhaust Options MegaThread

05-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #265
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Try Active Autowerke, they have tips that fit and some of their options look like the AWE ones you posted.
Warren

I went to Active Autowerke and was unable to identify any M2C exhaust tip options . . . Obviously, I have perused the internet and have been unable to come up with anything on my own.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #266
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Warren

I went to Active Autowerke and was unable to identify any M2C exhaust tip options . . . Obviously, I have perused the internet and have been unable to come up with anything on my own.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

///AVM
https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...r-exhaust-tips
      05-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #267
nis270r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here you go! Sounds pretty damn good! $2200 shipped
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #268
McSmash
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Any idea which cat-back exhaust is the lightest? Most of them don't list weights, and I'm not sure what the stock muffler weighs when cut for a cat-back replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #269
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmash View Post
Any idea which cat-back exhaust is the lightest? Most of them don't list weights, and I'm not sure what the stock muffler weighs when cut for a cat-back replacement.
Akra, it's titanium.
      06-02-2020, 12:33 AM   #270
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Is there a way to make the S55 sound decent?
Is Dinan the smoothest?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #271
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Is there a way to make the S55 sound decent?
Is Dinan the smoothest?
n8

Depends what you mean by ‘sound decent?’

Do you want it to sound like a NA engine/exhaust . . . that is the holy grail most everyone is after, but is not happening with any turbo, S55 or otherwise.

Do you want a ‘louder’ and ‘throatier’ version of the S55 exhaust acoustics. They all seem to capable of producing such acoustic outcome to different degrees . . . including degrees of drone that everyone likes to refute exists in ‘their system.’

I chased the holy grail in the past and the closest I ever got was the AWE Track exhaust in my Macan Turbo . . . still, ‘closest’ remained a LONG way from the holy grail.

After owning several turbo vehicles I have come to the conclusion that the most appealing ‘sound’ actually derives from the engine itself; not the exhaust. For example, turbo spooling and the whine of a wound engine, as opposed to the wail of a NA engine. The wound S55 engine actually sounds pretty fantastic in my opinion. Better than the wail of a 981 GT4 or Shelby GT 350? No way!

If allowed, turbo acoustics can become quite appealing and enhanced with little tweaks that promote air intake; can be as simple and relatively inexpensive as quality air filter placement. Again, chasing exhaust acoustics through aftermarket offerings produces ‘louder output’ that actually drowns-out the turbo engine acoustics.

Acoustics preference is as subjective as taste, so trying to tell someone what they will like is futile. The only objective statement I have made is that turbo engine and exhaust acoustics will never equate to those of a NA engine.

Subjectively, I have grown to embrace and enhance turbo engine acoustics. What ‘sounds decent’ to you could be very different and achieved through an aftermarket exhaust option.

Good luck in your search.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 06-02-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-07-2020, 12:15 AM   #272
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Any idea of the weight of the stock US spec resonator (not muffler) and secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #273
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Any idea of the weight of the stock US spec resonator (not muffler) and secondary cats?
I have them in hand, but I don't have a scale! Guestimating leads me to believe the secondary cats weight around 3.5 - 4 lbs each and the resonator is 5 - 6 lbs. Not has heavy as I had hoped for. Even the stock downpipes were fairly light.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #274
DarthPineapple
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

This week I replaced the stock exhaust with the Remus sport exhaust and Active Autowerke Midpipe. I'm really happy with the outcome. I put together a before and after video to help those who are considering the combination (Canadian setup).

Appreciate 3
ESB998.00
Moris3.00
epic131.50
      07-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #275
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPineapple View Post
This week I replaced the stock exhaust with the Remus sport exhaust and Active Autowerke Midpipe. I'm really happy with the outcome. I put together a before and after video to help those who are considering the combination (Canadian setup).

Great video!!! Is the Remus exhaust the standard sport or the racing sport?

Do you have clips of how it sounds inside the car? (do you have ASD turned off?)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #276
DarthPineapple
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post

Do you have clips of how it sounds inside the car? (do you have ASD turned off?)
It is the racing sport. I'm going to delete the ASD next week and I'll try to take some inside audio then. Not sure how well it will turn out as I've been using a gopro. I can tell you with the windows down it sounds deeper and louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #277
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Deciding between the slip on from Akrapovic and the M PERFOMANCE exhaust for my M2C.
If the price difference is no issue what would be your choice and why?

The car is made Europe, so it DOES HAVE the OPF, unfortunately.

Last edited by kart driver; 07-13-2020 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #278
DarthPineapple
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPineapple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post

It is the racing sport. I'm going to delete the ASD next week and I'll try to take some inside audio then. Not sure how well it will turn out as I've been using a gopro. I can tell you with the windows down it sounds deeper and louder.
Just did the ASD this evening. Initial feedback is that it is definitely more quiet at speed and the drone is gone (all good). When in efficiency and going slow it is harder to hear shift points. When driving more spirited in any mode it sounds great and no problem with shift points. Radio sounds good for once.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #279
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Deciding between the slip on from Akrapovic and the M PERFOMANCE exhaust for my M2C.

Akrapovic, because it's got a better history of reliability, Well made don't crack.
Appreciate 1
hAxel91.00
      07-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #280
bkkjustin
Rep
Drives: M235i Saphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
I think they removed it as with it in place it was still too muted.
I think also that the stock resonator is one pipe?
Suppose there’s no reason to have two individual resonators though?

Like I said earlier though - the videos posted don’t reflect it in real life.
I know it’s probably the only way most people will make a decision in which to buy, from watching on line videos....
Are you able to post a vid of your system, would live to hear. Doesn’t have to be a GoPro, just maybe revving from your phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #281
bkkjustin
Rep
Drives: M235i Saphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis270r View Post

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here you go! Sounds pretty damn good! $2200 shipped
Yeah this sounds great, but the sound clip is of a US model M2C without the EU spec OPF’s.

I’d love to hear what this sounds like on a an EU spec with the OPF’s.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #282
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post

The Akra is lighter, sound is subjective so won't comment on that.
      07-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #283
msjr
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post

Yes, it is subjective but what is your personal preference if you have heard both the Akropovic and the M Performance exhaust? Can anyone else weigh in? So hard to tell based on videos alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #284
yaymitch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjr View Post
Quote:

Yes, it is subjective but what is your personal preference if you have heard both the Akropovic and the M Performance exhaust? Can anyone else weigh in? So hard to tell based on videos alone.
I had MPE and Akra on my F80s. I had the full Akra evo system which included the midpipe and deleted secondary cats. Both sound good to me, the Akra was deeper and less raspy. It sounded more refined and I could actually feel a bit more power with the Akra. They are both expensive, the Akra was just a bit more but I'll never buy another exhaust system again for an M. Akra is the only system where you get more power, less weight and improved sound. I'll be purchasing the Akra-evo for my M2C as soon as I have the extra money.
///AVM2525.00
      07-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #285
msjr
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 Competition

Quote:
I had MPE and Akra on my F80s. I had the full Akra evo system which included the midpipe and deleted secondary cats. Both sound good to me, the Akra was deeper and less raspy. It sounded more refined and I could actually feel a bit more power with the Akra. They are both expensive, the Akra was just a bit more but I'll never buy another exhaust system again for an M. Akra is the only system where you get more power, less weight and improved sound. I'll be purchasing the Akra-evo for my M2C as soon as I have the extra money.
Thanks yaymitch! That is super helpful. Most people believe that the Akra is the better buy, has better quality etc. The weight savings is awesome but all the videos that I have seen on youtube don't blow me away. But listening to exhausts in youtube clips is a fools errand. I have such a hard time distinguishing what's what so this feedback is helpful.

What did you mean when you said you will never get another exhaust system for an M. Do you mean you'll never buy the M performance exhaust again?

Funny enough, I actually have the exact same car and specs as you do. Moving to Austin in a month so was thinking I'd wait to find a good BMW shop there. If you know any in your area, please let me know!

Last edited by msjr; 07-20-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #286
yaymitch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjr View Post

What did you mean when you said you will never get another exhaust system for an M. Do you mean you'll never buy the M performance exhaust again?

Funny enough, I actually have the exact same car and specs as you do. Moving to Austin in a month so was thinking I'd wait to find a good BMW shop there. If you know any in your area, please let me know!
Yeah, I knew that statement was confusing when I typed it..lol. I meant I would never buy any other exhaust for the 'S55 specifically' other than Akrapovic. I have listened to many and owned 2 and for my money it's Akra all the way.

Also, if you haven't already, join mgruppe - https://www.mgruppe.org/ . They have relationships with BMW South Austin and you'll get discounts, etc. Also, I have a friend who owns a performance shop in Houston that can assist with purchase and installation of Akra (or other non-BMW performance parts like Akra, Carbahn, Dinan, etc.). If you're interested, PM me.
ROASTM162.50