BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > M2 vs. Focus RS - AutoExpress Track Battle

05-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo
I have them both.

The focus rs is a real fun car to drive! It s not as classy as an m2 but i am glad I have an focus rs. Thing Will be fun in winter
Wait..

1M
Focus RS
M2

Do you have all three ?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #24
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO_1M View Post
No one else thinks he can't drive? Oversteering away in the M2...
Me. If the timed lap (timer) was actually in sync with his commentary there, then that was a terrible hot lap. He's in at least one gear up to start the lap, then oversteering with delayed correction, late on power out of corners, short shifting all over the place. I'd disregard both lap times honestly, and the delta between the two.

...but other than that I think he did a great job.

Appreciate 3
      05-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #25
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugegall View Post
1) Its a Ford
2) Its still a Ford
3) I'm not a boy racer

Thats they they shouldn't be compared.

Terrible comparison.
Sorry, I don't agree with you on that. You're just trying to justify the fact that you've bought an M2, and anyone who criticises it in any way causes you to get into defensive mode.

Same is applicable to anyone. Drive the damn cars and make an opinion yourself before backing up claims made in a YouTube video on which is better for what reason.

Of course, you wouldn't know that the RS (and the ST) was designed in Germany by German engineers, and built in Germany, would you?

I myself appreciate all cars out there equally, and save my opinions for the times I've actually DRIVEN the cars in question.

I actually hope the RS smashes the M2...it'll finally convince the big german boys that charging double the price for a badge does not mean double the fun.
Appreciate 12
      05-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #26
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

You have to give hats off to Ford for producing dynamite products like the Focus RS and GT350/R. Sure they won't be as luxurious as BMWs, but for the price, they are either comparably (or in the case of the GT350R considerably) faster than similarly sized BMWs. You cannot deny the performance per dollar and greater practicality (4 doors) of the Focus RS. I think it would be a fun pocket rocket that you don't have to worry too much about wearing out/damaging. Also think Ford would offer full track support like the GT350 for warranty issues, unlike BMW's poseur policy of marketing the Nurburgring and lap times all over their marketing materials and manuals, but once they know you go on the track, you will become persona non grata in terms of having any warranty work done..

Playing the "you can't compare these cars" card is a display of "I own it, therefore I am". Who cares if they are compared, or one is slightly faster the other more luxurious/prestige brand, as the point is you have a choice/tradeoff to make between luxury and pure performance. Get over yourselves.

Nice to have options!
Appreciate 10
      05-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ford Focus vs everything
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
apples and oranges comparison for sure.

rs seems pretty good value if performance is the only thing you care about but focus st is an even better value as they can be had at sharp discounts.

would consider an st but here I am stuck in this excellent, fully depreciated e90
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #29
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony View Post
Different classes of cars are compared all the time. How many times have we seen BMW vs Porsche?

Also this was purely a "track battle", all they cared about was comparing the performance. The only requirement for a "track battle" is that performance levels of both cars are reasonably similar. It doesn't matter if one is a practical 5-door hatch and the other is an entry level luxury sports coupe, as long as the performance is close.

It's not like it was M2 vs a Ford Escape - that would have been irrelevant and stupid.
Exactly. By all objective measures it's difficult to justify the M2 for this particular track. Of course people buy cars mostly for subjective reasons.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #30
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I never been a ford fan, but man they are coming out with some good toys. For $36k the RS hanging pretty good and then you have the GT350 for $51000 with a few options, i was going to pull the trigger on the M2, but now im having second thoughts lol. But that sound on the GT350 wow
Appreciate 3
      05-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #31
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs
I don't know if i should impressed that all the AWD are being compared to the RWD.

The "mighty!" AWD....there seems to be a lovefest for AWD in the past few years.
will never go back to awd for an enthusiast car. Long live rwd!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #32
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

He drove like $hit

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #33
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I'm a sucker for fender flares. I get those weak knees.

Ford designers had the opportunity to add a little extra flare to the body panels (compared to the ST), but they didn't. Looks-wise, I like the RS but I don't love it. The M2 - I love it. So that seals the deal for me. If I had kids and lived in a snow state, I'd get the RS....then buy a used M2.

And if I'm being nit-picky, I really dislike the side-smeared tail lights of this gen Focus.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #34
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Build Ford tough..??? thought they were build in America? Now someone on here is saying it was built in Germany, also designed in Germany?! Is that true, if so, that only goes to show you cant rebadge a German engineering and compare with another German car can you?

At the end of the day, im sure more people will look at the M2 more than the Ford when they are parked side by side.

Its still just a Ford and its butt ugly, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #35
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
Build Ford tough..??? thought they were build in America? Now someone on here is saying it was built in Germany, also designed in Germany?! Is that true, if so, that only goes to show you cant rebadge a German engineering and compare with another German car can you?

At the end of the day, im sure more people will look at the M2 more than the Ford when they are parked side by side.

Sure is built in Germany (the RS). And please go ahead. Buy your M2. If all you're concerned about is looks it just proves you're a badge snob.

I actually love the looks of the RS.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #36
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR
Quote:

Sure is built in Germany (the RS). And please go ahead. Buy your M2. If all you're concerned about is looks it just proves you're a badge snob.

Dont need to buy a M2.. but my M4 will do..lol

Me a snob? lol, look what you wrote at the end about yourself.. who's the snob now? Haha.

Its ok, dont get all emotional, its still a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #37
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Good for you mate. Keep letting everyone else know how high you are on yourself. Flash that cash around. Must make you a better person than everyone else.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #38
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugegall
1) Its a Ford
2) Its still a Ford
3) I'm not a boy racer

Thats they they shouldn't be compared.

Terrible comparison.
How is it a terrible comparison? They put down pretty much the same lap time. Despite how different they are at achieving it. I guess this is why BMW owners get their stereotype.
Appreciate 8
      05-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #39
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good for you mate. Keep letting everyone else know how high you are on yourself. Flash that cash around. Must make you a better person than everyone else.
Come down now and i aint your mate. : Its just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. No one is flashing to show who is better than the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #40
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Come down now and i aint your mate. : Its just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. No one is flashing to show who is better than the other.
You're right were not mates. I was just trying to be polite. Deep down I think you're a d*ck and a show off.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #41
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're right were not mates. I was just trying to be polite. Deep down I think you're a d*ck and a show off.
Wow... name calling already? Did I do you wrong ? No need for it. Its an opinion which you clearly dont understand, or too immature to grasp. The way you talk only goes to show your level of maturity. I dont need to troll with a kid.
You win
Appreciate 3
      05-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #42
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
I'm a sucker for fender flares. I get those weak knees.

Ford designers had the opportunity to add a little extra flare to the body panels (compared to the ST), but they didn't. Looks-wise, I like the RS but I don't love it. The M2 - I love it. So that seals the deal for me. If I had kids and lived in a snow state, I'd get the RS....then buy a used M2.

And if I'm being nit-picky, I really dislike the side-smeared tail lights of this gen Focus.
I have kids and live in a snow state.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #43
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I have kids and live in a snow state.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #44
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR View Post

Come on. People say stuff like this about other car brands all the time. Who cares. I'm sure there is a Chevy fan out there saying this same thing right this second.

Why are you so butt hurt about it? Are you buying one? If not...why not? Aren't you buying an RS3 instead? If so, why?

I like the Focus RS and considered it but the M2 offers everything I want in a car right now. If I was looking for a hatch it probably would be a focus rs but only because the RS3 hatch isn't offered in America.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1