BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Overboost

11-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Overboost

How does the overboost work? I know it existed for the 335is and 1M, but how is it engaged vs other driving? How long does it last and do you have to wait some period before engaging it again? What rpms does this apply to, if that's even an applicable question?
      11-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
How does the overboost work? I know it existed for the 335is and 1M, but how is it engaged vs other driving? How long does it last and do you have to wait some period before engaging it again? What rpms does this apply to, if that's even an applicable question?
Copied from the official release:

365 hp @ 6500 RPM
343 lb-ft @ 1400-5560 RPM
Overboost function boosts torque by +26 lb-ft to 369 lb-ft between 1450 - 4750 RPM

If it mimics the 1M strategy then you should have it for approximately 7 seconds upon the application of full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Reading from other posts it seems like it's only available once per upshift...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529446
      11-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Reading from other posts it seems like it's only available once per upshift...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529446
That might be the case...it's a bit of a nebulous subject. In any case, I plan to tune my way out of that situation pronto
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
That might be the case...it's a bit of a nebulous subject. In any case, I plan to tune my way out of that situation pronto
I had a chance to drive 1M Tex's 1M that has a Dinan tune on track this past weekend.
It was the first chance I have had to drive a chipped 1M vs my car which has a stock tune and I much preferred the linear power delivery.

I can only laugh when I think of people wanting an S55 in the M2. My car is already blazing quick and needs more like 275/295 tires on it to really handle all the performance it already has with it's " compromise" N54 motor. The 1M, M2 and of course the F8x cars are all seriously under tired... great for the drifting crowd... yo! I can't even how many other owners would wreck their cars ... absolute power corrupts... absolutely.. As It is.. The 1M sometimes literally momentarily terrifies me when overboost kicks in...certainly on the street... but even sometimes in autocross situations as well on a closed course.. and I'm no stranger to high performance driving, since I first began autocrossing in 1994.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-10-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
      11-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I had a chance to drive 1M Tex's 1M that has a Dinan tune on track this past weekend.
It was the first chance I have had to drive a chipped 1M vs my car which has a stock tune and I much preferred the linear power delivery.

I can only laugh when I think of people wanting an S55 in the M2. My car is already blazing quick and needs more like 275/295 tires on it to really handle all the performance car it already has with it's " compromise" N54 motor. The 1M, M2 and of course the F8x cars are all seriously under tired... great for the drifting crowd... yo! I can't even how many other owners would wreck their cars ... absolute power corrupts... absolutely.. As It is.. The 1M sometimes literally momentarily terrifies me when overboost kicks in...certainly on the street... but even sometimes in autocross situations as well on a closed course.. and I'm no stranger to high performance driving, since I first began autocrossing in 1994.
I completely agree: the N55 has plenty of power.
I haven't driven a 1M... is overboost really that abrupt when it kicks in? I'm not too fond of that notion
      11-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I completely agree: the N55 has plenty of power.
I haven't driven a 1M... is overboost really that abrupt when it kicks in? I'm not too fond of that notion
unfortunately.. Yes...
it's like going into hyperdrive.. ... the stars blur....time stands still...the car is flying forward.. and suddenly you just missed that cone in the slalom..... CRAP!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzz View Post
You have not driven the huracan have you. That thing puts a major smile on your face. Excitement is so high on it.
Yeah, but that has the added benefit of AWD. To me overboost is a gimmick. I want to be able to have full control of the power especially on track.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
unfortunately.. Yes...
it's like going into hyperdrive.. ... the stars blur....time stands still...the car is flying forward.. and suddenly you just missed that cone in the slalom..... CRAP!
It only comes on at WOT though, right? If that's the case, then I think I can manage, as I usually roll onto the throttle through the apex, and am tracking out pretty much straight by the time the pedal is to the floor. (This is why I would never be interested in more boost... which of course indiscriminately kicks in at whatever RPM, regardless of throttle position.)
Not a big fan of this new age of ubiquitous turbos... but I've kind of decided that I just need to jump in and embrace the suck!
      11-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
it is totally seamless on the 1M and gives you a swift kick in the arse

so smooth and well integrated though....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
Quote:
unfortunately.. Yes...
It only comes on at WOT though, right? If that's the case, then I think I can manage, as I usually roll onto the throttle through the apex, and am tracking out pretty much straight by the time the pedal is to the floor. (This is why I would never be interested in more boost... which of course indiscriminately kicks in at whatever RPM, regardless of throttle position.)
Not a big fan of this new age of ubiquitous turbos... but I've kind of decided that I just need to jump in and embrace the suck!
Correct, it comes on with WOT for 5 seconds. On track, it's not as much an issue as most good drivers do roll into the throttle exiting a corner .. And of course l, if you are at WOT on a track for 5 seconds you probably have a good lengthy straightaway as opposed to autocross.

As far as embracing turbos... You'll find you really appreciate them for every day driving. There is just so much power available so quickly!! With Max torque available from a ridiculously low 1500 rpm, daily driving is a matter of whooshing around using low end and midrange power .. No need to wait for the revs to get up to 5-6k before anything happens like with a naturally aspirated motor.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE naturally aspirated motors, I drove and built and blew up and rebuilt and drove many an S14 motor. Listening to an S14 wail at 7-8K rpm is intoxicating as is Taking an E9x M3 up to the same region !
Both are amazing on track with regards to power deliver and drive ability. On the street though the 1M/M2 have much more power/torque in the rev range where you drive nearly all the time. Time to get drunk on torque now !
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #12
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I wonder if overboost will feel like my Type R when the VTEC kicked in. That was a crazy feeling, I loved it. It planted me in the back of my seat like no other.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed
I wonder if overboost will feel like my Type R when the VTEC kicked in. That was a crazy feeling, I loved it. It planted me in the back of my seat like no other.

Yes but double it. Seriously. This will easily be much more. This is SERIOUS TORQUE! Remember, the 1M/M2 have more torque than the V8 S65.

I say this having driven a 4 cyl motor for years and am a big fan of Honda/Acura. Prior to purchasing an E30 M3 , the Integra Type R was in my top 3... Really top 2 as the Ford Mustang fell off the list when I drove it and used the manual shifter.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Yes but double it. Seriously. This will easily be much more. This is SERIOUS TORQUE! Remember, the 1M/M2 have more torque than the V8 S65.

I say this having driven a 4 cyl motor for years and am a big fan of Honda/Acura. Prior to purchasing an E30 M3 , the Integra Type R was in my top 3... Really top 2 as the Ford Mustang fell off the list when I drove it and used the manual shifter.
My ITR was pretty built and when that VTEC kicked in boy did it kick in. Even my 300+ lb friend was schocked

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

When I had my 1M (daily driven) for two and a half years one thing I noticed that if you drive the car always in M mode (sport) which was basically controlling the throttle sensitivity, you will get less of that huge torque jump in overboost mode. I would say that the car "feels like" getting in overboost mode less frequently than normal (non M, non sport) mode where you would have the overboost pretty easily and the difference you get when it is on was also much stronger. Can be just a sensation but it was there, at least for me.

The numerical data of the M2 tells us that it will have same max torque as the 1M (500 nm/369 lbs) and only 450 nm in normal use but we all know that 1M had approx. 10% more than that bone stock and the extra torque by overboost was probably closer to 100 nm rather than the 50 nm that the factory told us. I believe they just chose that nice round 500 number and tried to convince the buyers of M cars that the extra tq over the S65 was a bit less scary (400 nm vs 500 nm) where back to back dynos showed us that N54T had approx 50 % more torque than the S65 in most of its usable power band and max to max it had like 30-35 % more too. Actually, the first moment S65 was able to produce more torque was right after N54T was done and gone, which was close to its redline (between 6000 to 6500 rpm S65 starts to produce both more power and more tq and never looks back, but then you need to shift already with the N54T to get it in another sweet spot while S65 keeps going). These differences did make a completely different driving experience with these state of the art bi-turbo and atmospheric engines, even more so if the S65 was mated with a DCT too.

I wonder how the M2 will handle the tq and overboost too, a bit abrupt like the 1M or more civilized like the rest of the whole F generation?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-11-2015 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
When I had my 1M (daily driven) for two and a half years one thing I noticed that if you drive the car always in M mode (sport) which was basically controlling the throttle sensitivity, you will get less of that huge torque jump in overboost mode. I would say that the car "feels like" getting in overboost mode less frequently than normal (non M, non sport) mode where you would have the overboost pretty easily and the difference you get when it is on was also much stronger. Can be just a sensation but it was there, at least for me.

The numerical data of the M2 tells us that it will have same max torque as the 1M (500 nm/369 lbs) and only 450 nm in normal use but we all know that 1M had approx. 10% more than that bone stock and the extra torque by overboost was probably closer to 100 nm rather than the 50 nm that the factory told us. I believe they just chose that nice round 500 number and tried to convince the buyers of M cars that the extra tq over the S65 was a bit less scary (400 nm vs 500 nm) where back to back dynos showed us that N54T had approx 50 % more torque than the S65 in most of its usable power band and max to max it had like 30-35 % more too. Actually, the first moment S65 was able to produce more torque was right after N54T was done and gone, which was close to its redline (between 6000 to 6500 rpm S65 starts to produce both more power and more tq and never looks back, but then you need to shift already with the N54T to get it another sweet spot where S65 keeps going). These differences did make a completely different driving experience with these state of the art bi-turbo and atmospheric engines.

I wonder how the M2 will handle the tq and overboost too, a bit abrupt like the 1M or more civilized like the rest of the whole F generation?
Very true!!

Agree with all, especially the overboost sensitivity. This makes sense though , as the M button also keeps the turbo wastegate closed so it spools quicker, along with the change in pedal sensitivity.

In general, I do not use the M button very often. I have played with it while autocrossing and can't say I prefer it there either, even though it does help reduce lag and make reduces the feeling of overboost, the super touchy throttle at low rpm just really removes a lot of drivers touch for me.
Appreciate 0