10-29-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

MDM Mode vs OG

Ive been an OGM2 owner for just under 4 years
Two weeks ago I part ex’d into a Comp.

I love “spirited drives” through the twisties, my local roads have lots short bursts of acceleration, hard braking, sharp turns, over and over again.
With great regret I felt my newly acquired Comp is slower than my departed OG around these types roads, I’d made a mistake, I should kept the OG.
It made sense in my head , the OGs lower down grunt is more suited to short tight roads, the S55s superior top end doesn’t really come into play enough to make it quicker or to even catch up with the OG

Today things changed , I felt the full power of the is S55, I pressed the traction off button and went into Mdm mode.
Wow what a difference! the initial pick up still isn’t as good as the OG but when it does come on song, it’s a beast, there’s a bit of slip but I love the feeling of the engine just powering through the lose bits of gravel and other bits of crap on the road, pulling like a train
It feels so much quicker, more alive and a lot more fun

The comp has transaction on, MDM mode, and transaction fully off.

The OG has comfort, sport and sports plus. It doesn’t have an Mdm mode.

To me it feels like the OGs traction control allows more slip than the comp, unless you go MDM on the Comp.

I guess the point of my post is what do others think of MDM mode?
how much assistance or crash prevention does it provide?
Now Im tempted to turn everything off, providing it’s not raining ……
I mean it’s a great chassis right……. so I should be fine

Last edited by timchump; 10-29-2023 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post

The comp has transaction on, MDM mode, and transaction fully off.

The OG has comfort, sport and sports plus. It doesn’t have an Mdm mode.

To me it feels like the OGs traction control allows more slip than the comp, unless you go MDM on the Comp.

I guess the point of my post is what do others think of MDM mode?
how much assistance or crash prevention does it provide?
Now Im tempted to turn everything off, providing it’s not raining ……
I mean it’s a great chassis right……. so I should be fine
Glad you’re getting to know it more and enjoying it.

Both cars actually have the same TC/MDM. Just enabled a little differently. Sport+ in the OG enables MDM, and you can actually code the updated “CS” MDM parameter into the OG which relaxes it and allows more slip angle.

I’ve seen some say this MDM parameter is set to “CS” for the comps also but it may be some not all?

Either way, MDM is a safety net for slip angle and is distinct from TC. It’s designed to straighten the car out using the brake system once the rear is coming around and you’re about to loop the car. It works. I’ve tested it several times on track.

Obviously, not the kind of protection you should want to need on the street. If you’re pushing hard enough to be hoping MDM saves you, it’s time to take that shit to a track imo.

A good driver with TC/MDM fully enabled will drive right by a less skilled driver with it off. What I’m saying is, it’s definitely not holding you back on the street and if it is you’re an asshole for driving like that on public roads.
Appreciate 2
Distinct147.00
      10-29-2023, 11:15 PM   #3
timchump
Private
Rep

Ah that’s interesting I’m actually having the cs engine and gearbox tune put on my car in a few days time.
Looking forward to that even more now

I don’t think I go that quick on the roads around a corner for it to make a difference, I’m not that brave or crazy.
It’s more straight line performance I’m enjoying the Mdm mode over TC fully enabled.

The difference is huge imho, large enough to change my opinion on the cars performance.

I wouldn’t say I’m a good driver, maybe a bit of an arsehole I drive quick if there are no other road users. I didn’t buy the car to commute, for show, or for the MPG haha
I want to have some fun

I guess if Mdm mode disables holding back of the engine when you get a bit of slip but still protects you from spinning the car then it is probably the perfect mode imho

Last edited by timchump; 10-30-2023 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 11:49 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Yes, I think the M2C traction control is more restrictive in all modes. I don't have a lot of time in an OG M2 but that's what I remember from a pre LCI car at M School.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

you are confusing "butt feel" with traction - comfort/sport/sports plus is the adjustable shock setting, right? MDM is less intrusive, but also means less safety. MDM won't guarantee you 'prevent' a spin, it just helps avoid one, and if you are used to driving in TCM mode you are likely to get into things where the lack of skid control skills will be expensive. Turning everything off will be a real mistake. I'd second the advice above, spend your next money on track time with an instructor; wet skid pad is the best for developing slip/skid correction skills.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 07:27 AM   #6
timchump
Private
Rep

"comfort/sport/sports plus is the adjustable shock setting, right?"
its the settings in the OG for everything overall you cannot custom each individual element like the M2c m4 etc

I might be confusing the butt dyno for traction, but what i feel is WAY important to me, so i will 100% go for my butt dyno every time

i have caught slides before it seems instinctive to turn into it, some proper training would be beneficial thanks for recommending

i don't generally slide about on public roads when cornering, im not that brave or skilled, unless there is a wide open runabout, appreciate you may not have experienced that haha i only ever get a very very small amount of slide, on exit if i'm powering out

Last edited by timchump; 10-30-2023 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 07:28 AM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
you are confusing "butt feel" with traction - comfort/sport/sports plus is the adjustable shock setting, right?
Neither M2 nor M2C have adjustable shocks aka edc.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:06 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My mistake, but the original point remains - more likely OP is experiencing driving 'feel' differences, not true traction or power. I bet he feels like he gets a lot of 'low end grunt' back if he puts the throttle in sport/sport+. Regardless, the track is the place to learn about TCM vs. MDM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I only drive in MDM mode
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #10
timchump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I only drive in MDM mode
That's what i'm talking about
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3905.00
      10-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #11
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
Ah that’s interesting I’m actually having the cs engine and gearbox tune put on my car in a few days time.
Looking forward to that even more now
When you do this, have them apply the CS parameter for steering, rear diff, and MDM. Some of this may not apply to a Comp depending on production date from what I understand but whomever is doing the items you mentioned should be able to support these as well if they’re applicable to your car.

Well worth the additional cost they’ll charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #12
timchump
Private
Rep

NOT SURE IF IM ALLOWED TO POST LINKS
THE GUY IS "DEFINED CODING" ALL DONE REMOTELY

https://definedcoding.co.uk/products/bmw-gts-cs-flashes

https://definedcoding.co.uk/products...s-dme-software
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:03 PM   #13
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep. That’s what you’re after.

https://bimmer-remote.com/?gad_source=1 Is another option. I used them, and had a great experience. Jakub occasionally posts here.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I tried MDM early on and it scared me tbh, lol.

I've tried it a few times since then when its raining just to let the rear out a bit.

But I rarely ever use it. I probably should ... I know how much people rave about it.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3905.00
      10-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #15
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
No shame in not spinning tires on public roads.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3905.00
      10-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Everything off, every time.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3905.00
      10-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #17
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post

I've tried it a few times since then when its raining just to let the rear out a bit.

But I rarely ever use it. I probably should ... I know how much people rave about it.
Better safe than sorry. And definitely you shouldn't be in MDM in the rain if you are not comfortable. Play around in dry weather first to get comfortable. I'm always in MDM and love the slide a bit on sharp turns where I know I wont hit anything, but I've been spooked in the rain a couple of times in MDM mode. Be careful
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #18
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Everything off, every time.
Gotta ensure you’re totally unencumbered to get the best dragon pics
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #19
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Mdm is very good, makes it very hard to spin the car. I tried it on the skidpad and the when the back went it caught it everytime, hard to keep the slide. Tc on I could not even get the back out, very impressive modern tc.

And yeah this car is amazing, even with traction all off it takes some speed to loose traction. When its gone its easy to catch if you know what you are doing, took me a few car control clinics and now can do a few loops sideways on the skidpad, its great.

On public roads I am always on full TC though, the car is still fun and I don’t go fast enough to benefit from tc off. Track it first time on that track I keep tc on, then I do mdm just for that safety net.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00
chris7197334.00