BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Next steps for modifying? Help!

08-30-2023, 12:34 AM   #1
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Question M2C - Next steps for modifying? Help!

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on next mods!

So far I've pretty much sorted out everything I've wanted to do visually (M Performance carbon, few interior bits, short shifter, etc.).

Car has upgraded stainless steel brake lines and girodisc rotors and KWV3 coilovers.

I don't want to turn it into a track car (I have a Cayman GT4 for that) but I've been bitten by the mod bug and have to take my car to my mechanic anyways....so I figured maybe I should just add a couple things while I'm at it.

I have the Akrapovic Titanium Slip-On exhaust, but not the link pipe.

Now that my warranty is up, I've been thinking about getting the Akrapovic titanium Evolution Link pipe set, but wanted to hear what others might suggest. As far as I know you have to tune the car if you're doing this? If that's the case, any recommendations for any supporting mods/other things that are fun or what tune to go for?

As I mentioned, I'm not trying to turn this into a track car. I mostly use it for road trips as I don't drive on a daily basis, but I do also drive it year round – rain or shine or snow.

I'm also thinking about things like an intake (Eventuri?), though I always hear things on both sides about if it does anything.

Things I'm looking for:
  • More cool sounds (the Akra already sounds pretty nice though)
  • More power, but only if it's fun (nothing wild)

Not looking for:
  • Reduced reliability

Any tips?

'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:00 AM   #2
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Your car is awesome, but if we're nit picking, this is what I would consider:

1 - M2CS front splitter
2 - Carbon-fiber roof
3 - High quality carbon-fiber GTS-style hood (like Alpha-N)

Sorry it's not power and doesnt make cool sounds... but at least its carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Looks great!

Bend Calibration on the tuning - they have a great setup that really wakes the S55 up. One of the benefits is also their throttle mapping which much improves the drivability of the car. They are the only tuners that we use on ours and our customer's S55's (and any other platform they support as well). Definitely worth a chat with those guys. A couple of great adders that compliment a tune very well are the Wagner top mount intercooler, upgraded charge pipes & J-pipe, & upgraded air filters (BMC, etc). Wagner is the only tmic I would recommend as it actually helps keep intake temps in check and really compliments the upgraded power level. Intakes are more for aesthetics (nothing wrong with that I have an Eventuri setup on the current shop M2 ) so better filters are really all you need unless you want to dress the engine bay up. Another piece I would look at are the snorkels from Malakas & Commanderwiggin - really, really like what we have seen on the logs with these so far.

If you really want to step it up a bit a set of drop in turbos from Full Race or Mosselman take the car to what I think is perfect for a street car. With a good tune(r) the engine will still be happy with the power and the power delivery will be excellent. They don't break the bank either nor will reduce the reliability of the car.

Exhaust - the Akra link pipe is a good adder. Downpipes with high flow cats are an option as well (I like Active Autowerke with GESI cats here). Have the full Akra kit on our current shop street M2 and it sounds really good.

Long story short:

Bend Calibration tuning & flex fuel kit/recommendations
EU5 injectors
Plugs & maybe coils
Wagner TMIC
Charge pipes & J Pipe (few good options to pick from)
BMC filters
Commanderwiggin / Malakas intake snorkels
Akra link pipe
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2023, 12:19 AM   #4
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
Your car is awesome, but if we're nit picking, this is what I would consider:

1 - M2CS front splitter
2 - Carbon-fiber roof
3 - High quality carbon-fiber GTS-style hood (like Alpha-N)

Sorry it's not power and doesnt make cool sounds... but at least its carbon fiber
1 - I have the M Performance front splitter (which I bought shortly after I got the car, so I wouldn't re-buy a new splitter

2 - I might be in the minority, but I like my sunroof :P

3 - I do like the looks of these, but I'm always worried about quality. I bought Dinan CF mirror caps and they don't fit very well...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 12:21 AM   #5
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Looks great!

Bend Calibration on the tuning - they have a great setup that really wakes the S55 up. One of the benefits is also their throttle mapping which much improves the drivability of the car. They are the only tuners that we use on ours and our customer's S55's (and any other platform they support as well). Definitely worth a chat with those guys. A couple of great adders that compliment a tune very well are the Wagner top mount intercooler, upgraded charge pipes & J-pipe, & upgraded air filters (BMC, etc). Wagner is the only tmic I would recommend as it actually helps keep intake temps in check and really compliments the upgraded power level. Intakes are more for aesthetics (nothing wrong with that I have an Eventuri setup on the current shop M2 ) so better filters are really all you need unless you want to dress the engine bay up. Another piece I would look at are the snorkels from Malakas & Commanderwiggin - really, really like what we have seen on the logs with these so far.

If you really want to step it up a bit a set of drop in turbos from Full Race or Mosselman take the car to what I think is perfect for a street car. With a good tune(r) the engine will still be happy with the power and the power delivery will be excellent. They don't break the bank either nor will reduce the reliability of the car.

Exhaust - the Akra link pipe is a good adder. Downpipes with high flow cats are an option as well (I like Active Autowerke with GESI cats here). Have the full Akra kit on our current shop street M2 and it sounds really good.

Long story short:

EU5 injectors
Plugs & maybe coils
Wagner TMIC
BMC filters
Akra link pipe
Hey, thanks for all the feedback!

I must admit, some of this is over my head (I've never really modified a car past coilovers and a few basic bolt-ons).

If I were to do this in stages, do you have any suggestions?

I don't care at ALL about the look of my engine bay (never gonna take this thing to a show) but if an intake adds some cool noise I'd still maybe consider it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:33 AM   #6
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
1 - I have the M Performance front splitter (which I bought shortly after I got the car, so I wouldn't re-buy a new splitter

2 - I might be in the minority, but I like my sunroof :P

3 - I do like the looks of these, but I'm always worried about quality. I bought Dinan CF mirror caps and they don't fit very well...
Regarding point 3, Alpha-N has insane quality and fitment. You pay for it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:42 AM   #7
dead.pixel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
The one thing I always feel like the M2C is missing is the CS power curve. At 5500 RPM, boost is trimmed and it loses steam. It feels like you are missing out on the full OEM S55 experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #8
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Hey, thanks for all the feedback!

I must admit, some of this is over my head (I've never really modified a car past coilovers and a few basic bolt-ons).

If I were to do this in stages, do you have any suggestions?

I don't care at ALL about the look of my engine bay (never gonna take this thing to a show) but if an intake adds some cool noise I'd still maybe consider it.
Really if you want to wake it up a bit the tune would be a good start. A lot of this goes well together but isn't absolutely necessary to do them at the same time. Basic tuning by itself is not a big deal and can certainly start there and if/when ready to bump it up some more then go from there. Keep in mind you will likely end up paying for some extra tuning and a bit of labor that would have otherwise overlapped in a one time install.

I would still recommend Bend Calibration for just tuning on pump gas and go with Ecutek. Adding flex fuel to run up to E85 would require the bump in the injectors and plugs (depending on age might not be a bad idea either way) plus the flex kit . With the EU5 injectors you can run up to full E85 where you will see the most power (and crappiest mileage). This can be done later but again you will definitely need retuning at that point. The tmic again is not necessary but the Wagner does keep the IATs in check while also helping to prevent the potential leaky oem cooler issue. I typically do charge pipes & J pipe with the tmic. The snorkels will now pull air from the outside instead of sourcing the hot crap from the engine bay. So they all compliment each other very well and as a package make for an awesome setup. But nothing wrong with piecing it together too - and would personally start with the tune and work up from there. The tuning is also going to improve the power delivery. So more power and imo more enjoyable to drive.

Sound - by all means add the link pipe in anywhere. Anything that adds to the smile when you drive the car I'm all for.

Intakes - yes you can get some more sound out of them. Some though are more hassle than they are worth. Do like the Eventuri setup though but its pretty pricey. As we use this car as a demo wanted to dress it up a bit otherwise would have just gotten the filters. Does sound pretty awesome though (along with the upgraded turbos).

Appreciate 2
      08-31-2023, 04:55 PM   #9
GreyRS
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

I recently took my car to OG Shark's shop and did pretty much all that he suggested short of replacing the turbos. I have a post with pictures and a brief write up.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I feel sorry for your GT4 if it isn't a full on track car. You're about to unleash a significant amount of smiles with your M2. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking to part ways with one or the other to buy something that widens the experience gap.
      09-01-2023, 12:26 AM   #11
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Curious if anyone has any recommendations on next mods!

So far I've pretty much sorted out everything I've wanted to do visually (M Performance carbon, few interior bits, short shifter, etc.).

Car has upgraded stainless steel brake lines and girodisc rotors and KWV3 coilovers.

I don't want to turn it into a track car (I have a Cayman GT4 for that) but I've been bitten by the mod bug and have to take my car to my mechanic anyways....so I figured maybe I should just add a couple things while I'm at it.

I have the Akrapovic Titanium Slip-On exhaust, but not the link pipe.

Now that my warranty is up, I've been thinking about getting the Akrapovic titanium Evolution Link pipe set, but wanted to hear what others might suggest. As far as I know you have to tune the car if you're doing this? If that's the case, any recommendations for any supporting mods/other things that are fun or what tune to go for?

As I mentioned, I'm not trying to turn this into a track car. I mostly use it for road trips as I don't drive on a daily basis, but I do also drive it year round – rain or shine or snow.

I'm also thinking about things like an intake (Eventuri?), though I always hear things on both sides about if it does anything.

Things I'm looking for:
  • More cool sounds (the Akra already sounds pretty nice though)
  • More power, but only if it's fun (nothing wild)

Not looking for:
  • Reduced reliability

Any tips?

I recommend enhancing your cooling system with a top mount intercooler and j-pipe and charge pipe replacements. Maybe a primary radiator swap as well. Protect the radiators with pop-in Zunsport grilles. I’d recommend tuning with a bit of torque-limiting in lower gears. I plan to go with an MHD tune now that my warranty is up and I have the aforementioned cooling equipment. Just don’t want to deal with removing my DME for a bench unlock.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #12
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChase View Post
Protect the radiators with pop-in Zunsport grilles.
I went Zunsport on the 911 but opted for custom on the MC for a better look...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:29 AM   #13
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Handsome grille! I tend to not care about cosmetics on my cars, but I admit that looks far cleaner than the Zunsport!
Appreciate 1
m2ss1790.00
      09-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #14
GreyRS
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Nice work. Did you cut and install them yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 05:15 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Looks great!

Long story short:

EU5 injectors
Plugs & maybe coils
Wagner TMIC
BMC filters
Akra link pipe
Incoming
Attached Images

09-03-2023, 08:48 PM   #16
GreyRS
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Incoming
What is the piece that looks like a flap? Mine did not come with it?
Also, THANKS for the great product!
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2023, 10:02 PM   #17
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyRS View Post
What is the piece that looks like a flap? Mine did not come with it?
Also, THANKS for the great product!
Check this thread for details; every kit I've ever shipped has had them.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30457817
      09-04-2023, 06:47 AM   #18
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyRS View Post
Nice work. Did you cut and install them yourself?
No, I simply bought the mesh and had it installed as they were installing the skid plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:07 PM   #19
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the help everyone (and sorry for the delay)!

I ended up ordering some exhaust parts, intake/charge pipe and Weistech Stage 2 Tune...waiting for installation Monday. My mechanic chose the parts (I forget off-hand) but he builds race cars so hopefully it all goes well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I feel sorry for your GT4 if it isn't a full on track car. You're about to unleash a significant amount of smiles with your M2. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking to part ways with one or the other to buy something that widens the experience gap.
Haha the GT4 is mostly a track car these days, although I shipped it to SF in August for Car Week and drove down to LA and explored some of California. Flying back soon to pick it up and drive it all the way back to Toronto, so it'll see some road miles for sure!

But yeah, the GT4/M2C feel like very different cars. The GT4 just feels so much more at home on a serious circuit and the build quality just feels a lot higher...but the M2C puts smiles on my face all the time and is an excellent road trip companion.

If anything the GT3 and GT4 feel more similar (in terms of their purpose) but the GT3 is in Germany, so that's my excuse.
Appreciate 0