BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Frustrating: why didn't BMW address the stock suspension, costing me $4K ?

04-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #23
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
There are a few considerations which may explain why the M2C is setup the way it is -

1. Cost - The stock dampers are built to a cost (likely sub $100) which means they have to be fairly simple. M always use aluminium bodies on their shocks which is a positive.

2 Longevity - OEM dampers are tested to last 100K+ miles and need to be able to work across a variety of conditions. More sophisticated dampers will have greater control and ability to absorb energy, the cost is increased complexity and requirement for rebuilds at much lower mileage intervals.

3. Operating conditions - The dampers need to work in a variety of situations, hence some valving compromises need to be made. I actually think the OEM dampers do a great job of providing reasonable low speed compliance with great body control. I think they went with progressive springs on the rear to control the ride frequency for this reason. At speeds above 40MPH the suspension feels nicely composed and responsive.

I'd wager the vast majority of drivers on track would not be able to push the limits of what the car is capable with in stock form. A good set of coil overs will cut a second or two on most tracks. For comparison I had Ohlins on my M3, the damping feels very sophisticated compared to the OEM M2C dampers. However they were adjustable, and quite fragile (I blew the seals on 1 hitting a medium sized pothole at 1K miles). For an OEM that would be unacceptable.

Ultimately I don't think suspension is a real weak point on this car, although for any serious track work an upgrade will definitely make a big difference. That is the same for any car sub $100k. Even in an F80/82 with EDC for any real track time you want coil overs, at which point the EDC is redundant anyway. I appreciate the simplicity of the M2C suspension, fits its no frills character nicely.
I actually looked up the price for the dampers on my 2020 M2 comp and they are $1000 each.

Dealer cost on them were $974 each. Ouch!

I wish $100 was the price! I would care less about ruining them.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #24
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
While I agree with you its not a "entry level" M, they have kept off some features to keep costs from creeping into M3/4 territory. I think the suspension is perfect for me. But I have observed severe bouncy effect that you mention on a certain type of road. Its not the pothole littered roads, but more the roads that have not been paved correctly. There is a stretch of McArthur Blvd off the beltway headed to Potomac (since you are a DMV guy), that gives this bouncy feel. Its recently paved, and whoever paved it should give the county a refund. Other than that I think this suspension is perfectly tuned for regular driving. I also dont mind the height as i do not need to worry about scraping the bumper over the huge humps and deep potholes we have.

So if you were going to lower it anyway, may as well go all in.
Yes I love to drive the back roads in the DC area and they are just crap for roads at times.

This is why I'm considering spending the money to get the M performance setup. I refuse to send $1000 on a HAS Kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #25
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I actually looked up the price for the dampers on my 2020 M2 comp and they are $1000 each.

That's just OEM M tax. You can pickup Bilstein B4 replacements for less than $150, or Bilstein B6's which are better than stock for less than $1k for the whole set.
Appreciate 1
Tag18152.00
      04-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
There are a few considerations which may explain why the M2C is setup the way it is -

1. Cost - The stock dampers are built to a cost (likely sub $100) which means they have to be fairly simple. M always use aluminium bodies on their shocks which is a positive.

2 Longevity - OEM dampers are tested to last 100K+ miles and need to be able to work across a variety of conditions. More sophisticated dampers will have greater control and ability to absorb energy, the cost is increased complexity and requirement for rebuilds at much lower mileage intervals.

3. Operating conditions - The dampers need to work in a variety of situations, hence some valving compromises need to be made. I actually think the OEM dampers do a great job of providing reasonable low speed compliance with great body control. I think they went with progressive springs on the rear to control the ride frequency for this reason. At speeds above 40MPH the suspension feels nicely composed and responsive.

I'd wager the vast majority of drivers on track would not be able to push the limits of what the car is capable with in stock form. A good set of coil overs will cut a second or two on most tracks. For comparison I had Ohlins on my M3, the damping feels very sophisticated compared to the OEM M2C dampers. However they were adjustable, and quite fragile (I blew the seals on 1 hitting a medium sized pothole at 1K miles). For an OEM that would be unacceptable.

Ultimately I don't think suspension is a real weak point on this car, although for any serious track work an upgrade will definitely make a big difference. That is the same for any car sub $100k. Even in an F80/82 with EDC for any real track time you want coil overs, at which point the EDC is redundant anyway. I appreciate the simplicity of the M2C suspension, fits its no frills character nicely.

That's insane, when the M2C now came out, they were literally half that price. I remember because I made a thread comparing them to the Adaptive Dampers on the M4. BMW seems to increase the MSRP by double.

I was planning to replace them at 50,000 miles but now, F that, rather sell the car and get a new one than spend $4,700 on refreshing the spring and dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's insane, when the M2C now came out, they were literally half that price. I remember because I made a thread comparing them to the Adaptive Dampers on the M4. BMW seems to increase the MSRP by double.

I was planning to replace them at 50,000 miles but now, F that, rather sell the car and get a new one than spend $4,700 on refreshing the spring and dampers.
There are a lot of good choices for suspension set ups for this car which is very good so you can always find something within your price range.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #28
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Even the BC Racing kit with reasonable spring rates is a nice upgrade from stock.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #29
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
I feel like why spend all this money on a car. And then you have to spend an additional $2k to $4000 to get the suspension smooth. Where it's not hopping all over the road.

Why did BMW not address the stock suspension why should I have to spend $2500 or $3000 on replacing my springs and shocks- why didn't they just make the car from the factory with the appropriate tuning.
Suspension is fine.

Just ask BMW to charge you $4k when you buy the car then so you don't have to whine about not getting everything for the price point you paid.
Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Davil6524.50
MMMBRAP975.50
BlkSVT388.50
      04-18-2020, 02:26 AM   #30
triss85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Yes that's why I'm running nitrogen which does not fluctuate in temperature
Why wouldn’t it??
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #31
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by triss85 View Post
Why wouldn’t it??
he fell for marketing BS unless he's an F1 driver

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=191

If the tire is already at the correct pressure...it doesn't make a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #32
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

Maybe he is a F1 driver or the laws of physics don't apply to him? Usually is the case on message boards/internet.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      04-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #33
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Why doesn't it have adaptive suspension like the M3/M4/M2 CS?

Because it's an entry level M car.

I am actually glad it doesn't have adaptive suspension.

Personally, I have zero issues with the stock suspension, not sure what the complaint here is.
Appreciate 4
ChrisK4449.00
KevinM2935.50
Karmic Man1996.00
      04-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #34
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss85 View Post
Why wouldn’t it??

No I actually use nitrogen filled with all my cars and I know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #35
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Maybe he is a F1 driver or the laws of physics don't apply to him? Usually is the case on message boards/internet.
Maybe you should try driving your car and you would understand the differences in the suspension tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #36
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's why I'm running nitrogen which does not fluctuate in temperature
You lost all credibility when you said this.

Nitrogen is affected by temperature changes just like any other gas such as regular air.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #37
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You lost all credibility when you said this.
Nitrogen is affected by temperature changes just like any other gas such as regular air
No it doesn't I'm not sure what country you're in but nitrogen does not fluctuate based on temperature that's why it's used for racing.

You lost all credibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #38
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
No it doesn't I'm not sure what country you're in but nitrogen does not fluctuate based on temperature that's why it's used for racing.
If you mean that the pressure does not fluctuate based on temperature then you are wrong.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      04-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #39
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You lost all credibility when try to make me look like an idiot.
I don't see how my country of residence makes any difference.

Temperature absolutely does affect nitrogen and the pressure of the tire.

Has your home country somehow found a way to ignore the laws of physics?

https://www.continentaltire.com/news...-right-my-tire
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #40
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I've always been led to believe that tire pressures will fluctuate significantly less when filling them with nitrogen vs air.

That said, i have no problem with the stock suspension, though i'm not tracking the car either. Just driving it on bumpy seattle streets and twisty (also often bumpy) back roads when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #41
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You lost all credibility.
You think physics doesn't apply to you. Go back to school and you can afford another 4k for your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #42
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
It's widely known that the M2's suspension feels unnecessarily crashy, like they designed it that way to make the car feel like it handles better than it actually does (sporty feel like piped-in sporty sound). Most agree that softening it a bit makes the car handle even better.

BWM compromised on the suspension, but it's not so bad IMO, and certainly not something that would have made me choose a different car or bitch about it forever.
Appreciate 3
PLF693766.00
Poochie9104.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      04-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #43
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It's widely known that the M2's suspension feels unnecessarily crashy, like they designed it that way to make the car feel like it handles better than it actually does (sporty feel like piped-in sporty sound). Most agree that softening it a bit makes the car handle even better.

BWM compromised on the suspension, but it's not so bad IMO, and certainly not something that would have made me choose a different car or bitch about it forever.
Well you have to pick and choose your battles for a non adjustable suspension. It was designed for a certain type of road and it just happens that it's not the most comfy for the street and is 'perceived' as crashy. I have no problems with my m2c for my roads up here in Canada. It's a bit stiffer and rebounds a bit more than my previous e90 m3 but the e90 feels like a floaty comfy pig compared to the 'competition' model.

So maybe I lucked out and have good roads to drive on ... Or maybe I don't have nitrogen in my tires like the OP hence no issues with the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #44
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Well you have to pick and choose your battles for a non adjustable suspension. It was designed for a certain type of road and it just happens that it's not the most comfy for the street and is 'perceived' as crashy.
You're missing the point.

BMW could have made the suspension softer and handle better for the same money, but they chose to make it "feel" sporty for the general population, just like they chose to make it sound aggressive with ASD.

Nothing wrong with either of these things IMO, but not on an M car...

Let the poseur's be poseur's, the M should represent pure performance.
Appreciate 1