BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Weird behavior M2C M6T - no engine braking

08-15-2023, 12:09 AM   #23
GaryCT
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Auto rev matching keeps the idle higher when down shifting. Try turning it off and it will bring the revs down much quicker.
Took me awhile to get use to the rev match - not a fan when getting off an exit (for example) as it doesn’t slow the car down - forcing more braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:40 AM   #24
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

In no scenario do the injectors ever completely turn off when the engine is running. They go to a very low duty cycle that can be seen in the car's AFR logs when they are around 250-300 AFR. The injectors keep running to help keep the cylinders cool. When in eco mode the alternator clutch typically engages to charge the battery which throws off the MPGs, typically they jump to like 99 when coasting but I could certainly see either a faulty alternator clutch or a full battery causing it to disengage/re-engage the alternator clutch repeatedly which explains the abnormal RPM drop on the right side of your video.
      08-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #25
joshdub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Garage List
That comparison video looks funky with the rpm jump on the right hand side.

My 6spd has plenty of engine braking at all times
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      09-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #26
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Does NOT look normal.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      10-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #27
Footman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hi,

did you get any further with this "symptom"?

Since June 2023 I have 2020 M2C, 6MT and I am experiencing the same thing.

First did not notice that due to the eco/sport/sport+ settings on the gauges, but when changed recently I have noticed that when going downhill sometimes the meter shows 0 consumption but oftentimes not. The engine braking was not so noticeable, But I was not so familiar with the car yet, just took it for a few road trips. Spent the last 5 years in Subaru STI 09 with a rebuilt engine and that was quite unsettled all the time so became used to awkward behavior

Basically exactly your situation. So I am curious - did you get any results? Or further progress?

mine is EU production car, just for the record
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      10-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #28
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman View Post
Hi,

did you get any further with this "symptom"?

Since June 2023 I have 2020 M2C, 6MT and I am experiencing the same thing.

First did not notice that due to the eco/sport/sport+ settings on the gauges, but when changed recently I have noticed that when going downhill sometimes the meter shows 0 consumption but oftentimes not. The engine braking was not so noticeable, But I was not so familiar with the car yet, just took it for a few road trips. Spent the last 5 years in Subaru STI 09 with a rebuilt engine and that was quite unsettled all the time so became used to awkward behavior

Basically exactly your situation. So I am curious - did you get any results? Or further progress?

mine is EU production car, just for the record
Hi, Sorry I didn't notice this message until now. I have replied to your PM with some questions. Basically you already answered them here.

So both cars are the EURO version. I suppose this is important as none of our American friends seem to have found this issue in any of their cars (?)

I honestly am very upset with the behaviour of this car, and the LACK of any kind of useful response by BMW in my country.

If you think this could be useful, I would suggest that you contact Customer Support in your country and present a formal complaint. If that goes like me, they will instruct you to bring the car to an official dealer and call them once you have the car there. Then, supposedly, the dealer will work alongside the support center to find a solution.

I believe, this is probably a software bug in the ECU software that maybe only applies to some cars of this particular model. My belief is that if at least one car (maybe yours) is properly determined to have this bug, then this will escalate to the car designer engineers and they will provide a software fix for all cars. Does this make sense?

Thanks

[EDIT: If you decide to present a complaint too, please feel free to use my videos if you need to]

Last edited by JoanLluch; 10-07-2023 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      10-08-2023, 07:55 AM   #29
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryCT View Post
Auto rev matching keeps the idle higher when down shifting. Try turning it off and it will bring the revs down much quicker.
Took me awhile to get use to the rev match - not a fan when getting off an exit (for example) as it doesn’t slow the car down - forcing more braking.
It's not that. I always drive with DCT OFF because I can't stand rev matching. But the car does the same no matter what configuration or setting is selected
Appreciate 0