BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Help Finding Previous M2 Owner

02-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #23
Jrfly9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Msport

The deal is probably a tad under market but this is the only real comp I can find available for a 2017 manual that is currently for sale.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-0afde8259b85/

There is one accident on the record for this car, listed as front and side damage so here is what I believe happened:

1. Accident occurred, impacting front bumper and resulting in scratch to side panel (conjecture on bumper, fact on side panel)

2. Insurance claim in (fact)

3. Owner took insurance money, replaced bumper, painted and then took the rest and wrapped it (people who wrapped the car confirmed that front bumper was painted and scratch existed on side panel but there was NO damage to the panel otherwise)

4. Owner f'ed up the panel somehow and tried to reshape it or bondo it or something

My bias says I love the color of the wrap, it is just barely within budget and the wheels, etc. are nice adds to the styling. The other side is concerned that the prior owner may have cut corners, which is why I have tried so hard to track him down.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #24
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

The M2 is far from a limited edition. You can find another one. This one is very clearly damaged and attempted to be hidden. Everyone says run but you're clearly trying to convince yourself this car is fine. If they can't even fix the fender then they've definitely abused the shit out of the drivetrain too.

Of course the wrap shop isn't going to say anything negative since that opens up a whole new can of worms for losing face or backlash from the owner towards the shop.

There's no way the wrap would survive the impact that caused the damage to the bumper so the wrap shop is lying or clueless/ignorant to damage when they re wrapped it. Or the owner rewrapped it himself it's an easy small panel

Run. The. Fuck. Away.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #25
Jrfly9
Enlisted Member
Rep

I agree that the external concerns could be representative of mechanical issues as well but at the same time there is never a guarantee for any used car...

You guys are all likely right and I appreciate the opinions.

M2 is my dream car but they might just be outside of my budget for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
The M2 is far from a limited edition. You can find another one. This one is very clearly damaged and attempted to be hidden. Everyone says run but you're clearly trying to convince yourself this car is fine. If they can't even fix the fender then they've definitely abused the shit out of the drivetrain too.

Of course the wrap shop isn't going to say anything negative since that opens up a whole new can of worms for losing face or backlash from the owner towards the shop.

There's no way the wrap would survive the impact that caused the damage to the bumper so the wrap shop is lying or clueless/ignorant to damage when they re wrapped it. Or the owner rewrapped it himself it's an easy small panel

Run. The. Fuck. Away.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #26
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Geez look at the whole fender over here. It's not straight or flat!! It was definitely damaged before the wrap.
This.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #27
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfly9 View Post
The deal is probably a tad under market but this is the only real comp I can find available for a 2017 manual that is currently for sale.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-0afde8259b85/

There is one accident on the record for this car, listed as front and side damage so here is what I believe happened:

1. Accident occurred, impacting front bumper and resulting in scratch to side panel (conjecture on bumper, fact on side panel)

2. Insurance claim in (fact)

3. Owner took insurance money, replaced bumper, painted and then took the rest and wrapped it (people who wrapped the car confirmed that front bumper was painted and scratch existed on side panel but there was NO damage to the panel otherwise)

4. Owner f'ed up the panel somehow and tried to reshape it or bondo it or something

My bias says I love the color of the wrap, it is just barely within budget and the wheels, etc. are nice adds to the styling. The other side is concerned that the prior owner may have cut corners, which is why I have tried so hard to track him down.
OP - dont put blinders on over a car. I cant believe you are uncovering this stuff, writing all the crazy coverups and lies from the owner and wrap shop, and yet would even remotely consider this car! Why? Because you like the color of the wrap?!?

Just relax, the market is over inflated and prices are already coming down. Be patient and find an owner listed car, the right one will come along, I assure you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #28
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Run away, don't walk. Not so much because of the damage, but because if they will accept that kind of fix, and then wrap it to hide it, what else have they accepted?
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the front fender pic.

OP, definitely wait for a cleaner car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #29
Jrfly9
Enlisted Member
Rep

You right!

But it's not the wrap, it's a chance to own my dream car *now* (also my '02 Pathfinder beater keeps breaking down putting some pressure on the issue, of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
OP - dont put blinders on over a car. I cant believe you are uncovering this stuff, writing all the crazy coverups and lies from the owner and wrap shop, and yet would even remotely consider this car! Why? Because you like the color of the wrap?!?

Just relax, the market is over inflated and prices are already coming down. Be patient and find an owner listed car, the right one will come along, I assure you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #30
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfly9 View Post
But it's not the wrap, it's a chance to own my dream car *now*
I remember being 15 and feeling like this (not that you're 15). Like the vehicle I was looking at was the last one on earth. But please, let this one go, there will be others, you just have to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #31
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yeah no offense to the previous owner if he's reading this, but OP you're probably gonna feel immense amount of joy on the day you drive it off the lot, but your love for it will quickly diminish the more you start to see that atrocity of a front fender and wonder more and more whether you made a big mistake. If you want a clean example of a car, I say give this one up. I'd MUCH rather lose the wrap (even if it was my taste) and exhaust in favour of a mint M2. Just be patient, another one will come.
Appreciate 0