BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > The 4 reasons why I sold the BMW M2 Competition

06-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Not enough hits on his silly videos = gotta get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #24
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

"Car understeers" because he most likely doesn't know how to properly drive a RWD car.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      06-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #25
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
MT on new BMW’s is trash in comparison to their old formula.

Who defends it is either driving his first manual or hasn’t tried a quality one.

Steering wheel isn’t too terrible. Not the best for spirited driving but actually perfect for city driving
I'm not comparing to their old formula (old formula didn't have to put up with today's torque numbers) and simply comparing with manual transmissions available today as comparing to 20 year old cars like a 1999 M coupe is silly talk by people living in the past. Can you list a bunch of new cars today with better manual transmissions that don't come from Porsche? Maybe your problem is that you are living in a bubble only driving BMW's because I can assure you there are today and have been in the past far worse manual transmissions out there. If you think this manual transmission is trash I counter that you haven't driven a lot of different manual transmission cars in your time. It's not the best shifter ever by any means as it feels a little isolated and the throws could use 10-15% reduction but it's smooth and doesn't get in the way.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 06-03-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #26
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I'm not comparing to their old formula (old formula didn't have to put up with today's torque numbers) and simply comparing with manual transmissions available today as comparing to 20 year old cars like a 1999 M coupe is silly talk by people living in the past. Can you list a bunch of new cars today with better manual transmissions that don't come from Porsche? Maybe your problem is that you are living in a bubble only driving BMW's because I can assure you there are today and have been in the past far worse manual transmissions out there. If you think this manual transmission is trash I counter that you haven't driven a lot of different manual transmission cars in your time. It's not the best shifter ever by any means as it feels a little isolated and the throws could use 10-15% reduction but it's smooth and doesn't get in the way.
A 15 year old Volvo V50 has a better manual feel than newer MT

I have no good reason to just make these claims up if not to warn people that the whole 'hype' behind the M2's MT is really not what they think it is. I

I've driven my fair share of beater and exotic MT cars from various decades. M2's is not the worst but it sits flush below average for an exotic.

To each their own. I should've test driven OG M2 the MT before buying, mistake is mine. I'm much happier now with the DCT on the M2C. Got a Z4 M for the legendary old school BMW feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
A 15 year old Volvo V50 has a better manual feel than newer MT

I have no good reason to just make these claims up if not to warn people that the whole 'hype' behind the M2's MT is really not what they think it is. I

I've driven my fair share of beater and exotic MT cars from various decades. M2's is not the worst but it sits flush below average for an exotic.

To each their own. I should've test driven OG M2 the MT before buying, mistake is mine. I'm much happier now with the DCT on the M2C. Got a Z4 M for the legendary old school BMW feel.
Considering these cars aren't exotic I'm not sure what that means.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

So basically he can't drive and wanted a cushy Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #29
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Considering these cars aren't exotic I'm not sure what that means.
"A supercar — also called exotic car — is a loosely defined description of certain high-performance street-legal sportscars. Since the 1990s or 2000s, the term hypercar has come into use for the highest performing supercars."

There's no set definition for exotic. Anything fast, performing and special from a foreign land can be considered exotic.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #30
c_w
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
. If you think this manual transmission is trash I counter that you haven't driven a lot of different manual transmission cars in your time. It's not the best shifter ever by any means as it feels a little isolated and the throws could use 10-15% reduction but it's smooth and doesn't get in the way.
Much prefer my Audi A3 Tdi gearbox; light and short throw, and with 330lb/ft not too far off the m2.

In the UK, much like the rest of europe, there is no prize or kudos for driving manual cars, it was the standard gearbox of choice for 99% of people until not long ago, so most people including myself have driven many cars and vans that are manual.

Im sure the m2 shift can be fixed but i was surprised that the throw was quite long, coupled with the vague action seemed at odds with the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Yes, it can be fixed, as a previous poster indicated. UCP and a good SSK. Entirely different experience. Another one of those "should have come that way from the factory" deals.
Appreciate 0