BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 Competition vs Alpine A110 video comparison (by whichcar)

05-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
M2 Competition vs Alpine A110 video comparison (by whichcar)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It’s an LBB one which you don’t see that often. M2C is mainly in the second video. Worth watching the first due to the scenery. I must go there one day.

Dan and Andy head for the hills in a pair of $100k coupes to see if your money is better spent on a fresh new French wildcard or an established German quantity.

Video review: https://www.whichcar.com.au/episodes...deo-comparison

Name:  Alpine vs M2 Competition 2.jpg
Views: 5076
Size:  56.5 KB
Appreciate 6
cptobvious2531.50
OGM2C242.50
termigni1080.00
Niko ZV118.00
      05-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

I wish the M2 was as light as the Cayman/Alpine, worth the weight for the comfort and features I guess though
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
I wish the M2 was as light as the Cayman/Alpine, worth the weight for the comfort and features I guess though
That's a pretty big gap. Cayman S is 3,050 pounds and the Alpine is 2,430 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
That's a pretty big gap. Cayman S is 3,050 pounds and the Alpine is 2,430 pounds.
Holy shit I didn't realize how light the Alpine is. 3k pounds sounds like a great sweet spot but I just have a hard time believing a car weighing 2,400 pounds will be quiet or comfortable enough to actually be a quality daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Holy shit I didn't realize how light the Alpine is. 3k pounds sounds like a great sweet spot but I just have a hard time believing a car weighing 2,400 pounds will be quiet or comfortable enough to actually be a quality daily driver.
Having owned a few Miatas that are around that weight, it's going to depend on whether you want to live with a sports car, or really want more of a GT. Fluff weighs something. How much do you need?
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Having owned a few Miatas that are around that weight, it's going to depend on whether you want to live with a sports car, or really want more of a GT. Fluff weighs something. How much do you need?
I do a lot of highway driving, I don't think I would want to live with a Miata daily any more. Luxury definitely has some appeal, at least for a DD
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do a lot of highway driving, I don't think I would want to live with a Miata daily any more. Luxury definitely has some appeal, at least for a DD
The good news is that if you're in the US, this doesn't matter. You can't have an Alpine anyway.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Sport Auto just did a 8:03 with the Alpine around the ring. Kinda slow considering it is on Michelin PS4.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:29 AM   #9
TomAce
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 (F87)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Sport Auto just did a 8:03 with the Alpine around the ring. Kinda slow considering it is on Michelin PS4.
Well, it's the PS4, not the PS 4s...

It's nearly as fast as the OG M2, this made the ring in 8:02 iirc.

And I have to admit that the Alpine is a great little car, the verdict is completely right in my eyes. If you look for an Lotus Elise replacement which can be driven as a daily the alpine is the car to get.

It has got a really good audio-system with Focal speakers, especially with the premium system. AC is working great, you can enter the cabin quite easily, not comparable to an Elise.

If I hadn't got the M2 then I would be tempted as the Alpine is a striking little coupe that feels so enjoyable.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      05-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
I have a ND MX-5 RF and its a great daily. Alas i'll have to sell it in the next few weeks to make room for the M2C....

By far the best of the Miata series...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Read the article "Twin Peaks" on wheels magazine, eggcellent comparison review.

However, I'd rather keep my OG M2 and buy a used soft-top ND MX-5 2.0L + 6MT rather than a A110.
      05-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This. If you can choose only one choose wisely at which you prefer to drive daily. If you can have more than one then you get both and decide which one is your DD and which one is the weekender
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Having test driven an Alpine I can say it would make a fine daily. In normal mode it is quite in the cabin, its easy to see out of if you setup your mirrors properly and the ride is more supple than most sports cars. Seats are also comfy (but I hace the sportster CS seats in my RS)

Ofcourse ingress and egress is not as easy as an M2(C). The interior also feels cheap in the wrong places like the buttons you touch crack and move, lots of bits are just painted plastic, and the leather on the outer bolster of the test car with 30k km was starting to discolour. The infotainment interface is also absolute garbage, like 100 dollar tablet bad.

Not as good as Cayman but that is also why its much cheaper.
Appreciate 0