BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > "New Owners Track Drive"... CA or SC?

09-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
imOFP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2c, '23 Bronco Raptor

Garage List
Talking "New Owners Track Drive"... CA or SC?

Just got an email for a free+guest new owners track drive for the purchase of my M2c in August. Has anyone recently done this? I watched this video
and read this post https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1748836 and it seems like a crazy great opportunity.

Given the fact it's free and I have enough free night hotel certs to cover lodging - given the choice of Thermal or Spartanburg where should I go? We vacation every year in LA+SoCal and we got married in Greenville so we are somewhat familiar with both areas. I am thinking Thermal (Joshua Tree, Stumps, prox. to SD) - but open to other opinions. Given the opportunity I might opt for some more seat time with a 1-day M School too.

Where would you go and why? Thoughts, inputs, and opinions?
      09-16-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

While the New Owner's Track Drive is fun, I did it last year, I feel that it isn't worth flying to for that alone. It is only about 2 hours in total with some of that on track. Again not saying it is bad by any means, just managing expectations. If you're going to CA or SC for a vacation and add this as part of it, then it is great. I haven't been to Thermal but been to Spartanburg a number of times. The cool part about Spartanburg is you can add the factory tour which is extremely interesting. Adding that you go married in that area I'd personally try and make it an anniversary trip and maybe head to the mountains too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
M13RSD
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

would love to give this a go.
      09-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

I initially thought it was the 1/2 day school and was super keen on it. When I realised it was a 'sampler pack' less so, but as you say imOFP if you can combine it with a one day school, say the day after it, and make a weekend of it that'd be fun! Or can combine it with something else, but as a standalone reason, not so much.

Personally since I'm West Coast-based I'd go to Thermal and then head out to Joshua Tree for a hike after it.

I actually just signed up for the 1 day M school at Laguna Seca in November. Sure it costs money, but really looking forward to it, especially as a warmup for taking my own M2C out there.
      09-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Krombopulous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I did the PCD pickup in South Carolina and would highly recommend that to anyone. One party there had already purchased their 4 series and was doing what I believe you are being offered. The only difference is that they aren't unveiling / showing you your new car that day (which was quite an experience too).

The 1/2 day on the track was a blast as was offroading the X5's. The track time isn't super intense, but I still had a ton of fun. I am interested in doing the M school, which is much more involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

I did this last month and although I had fun driving the snot out of cars that are not mine, it wasn't special enough to post something about here immediately. My wife and I regularly visit her family in Orange County and I decided to make a side trip to Thermal and use this freebie before it expires.

During our uphill/terrain/mud session, I drove a X5 and managed to get stuck in the mud, had to be pulled out. On the track, we drove a Z4M, X6M, M4 and 340M. The Z4M was the best for me, it was tossable, lighter and felt much quicker than the others. In the end, the instructor drove us around a short track with lots of turns on a M5 slipping, sliding and drifting with such abandon I felt like it was such a violent experience.

We ended our week with another side trip to Santa Barbara for two days before heading back to the Bay Area. Overall, it was a fun vacation but I wouldn't go to Thermal just for this experience alone, I'd rather spend a whole day in M driving school closer to home. At least I got to drive the M2C and stretch her hips for a while on a 1200 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I concur that while a fun experience, it's only a 1/2 day and I'd combine it with something else if needing to fly somewhere. I'm not familiar with the Thermal area but in SC, besides adding an actual M school or factory tour if available, you're real close to the mountains, Asheville, Tail of the Dragon, Gatlinburg even, and other area attractions.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:36 AM   #8
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

drove down to thermal from LA, i would not do it again for just this new owner's track drive, the ultimate driving experiences (also free) that come much closer to you are pretty much the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:32 PM   #9
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
drove down to thermal from LA, i would not do it again for just this new owner's track drive, the ultimate driving experiences (also free) that come much closer to you are pretty much the exact same thing.
why would you NOT do it? Its a sampler. But do the school with it
      10-02-2021, 02:45 AM   #10
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroM2C View Post
why would you NOT do it? Its a sampler. But do the school with it
yes, would not drive 6hrs round trip again just for the sampler (bought two cars in 2020 and they gave me 2 vouchers), but definitely if i paired the school with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

imOFP I called the performance driving center and they will allow you to
take a credit, pretty sure I was told $850, towards a M school day/two or one on one instructor training.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I did it a month ago in SC. Made a trip out of it with my wife. It was fun, but honestly not enough time on the track. They have you drive on a super short track and take turns doing 2-3 laps in 5 different cars. The hot lap in the M3comp on the full track with an instructor was awesome but would have liked to do that a few more times and be given the chance to be the driver on that larger track as well. Overall still a fun experience.

Cars I drove were M2C, M4C, X5M, M240i, M550i and also drove an X5 on the off road course. That was kinda fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #13
Krombopulous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
I did it a month ago in SC. Made a trip out of it with my wife. It was fun, but honestly not enough time on the track. They have you drive on a super short track and take turns doing 2-3 laps in 5 different cars. The hot lap in the M3comp on the full track with an instructor was awesome but would have liked to do that a few more times and be given the chance to be the driver on that larger track as well. Overall still a fun experience.

Cars I drove were M2C, M4C, X5M, M240i, M550i and also drove an X5 on the off road course. That was kinda fun.
Driving that X5 on the off-road course might have been the biggest surprise & delight on that trip for me, other than randomly being in the same group as a friend of mine from town.

I took my best friend (girlfriend opted out lol) and there's a very high chance he and his wife will buy an X5 now - I see why BMW does that X5 sample!

And tbh, got me thinking pretty hard about a BMW suv for the winter...
Appreciate 0