BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Maguire's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer

10-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Maguire's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer

Wondering if anyone has used this. https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-G200...s%2C216&sr=8-6

Seems like a good idea in order to top off your base protective coating on a regular basis. I use a quick detailer on my cars almost every week, so I decided to give it a try. It is certainly as easy to apply as a regular detail spray.

We'll see about durability. But since I generally apply a base coat every 3-4 months and I live in a dry climate, I may not notice a difference.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I think for the way you are using it it is a great product. As a topper after every wash since you always use a quick detailer. You should easily have it last in between washes so your base coat is not being degraded.
Appreciate 1
KevinM2931.00
      10-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Check back in with feedback on results Kevin. Such things as streaking on a darker car, etc, is also useful input.

I've not made the "switchover" yet into the "ceramic" world. I'm still on old school high end paint sealant user plus with every wash we always use Meguiar's synthetic spray wax on top of the wet surface during wipe down. On my M3 I last applied Menzerna powerlok sealant in 2014 (!), and using this method it has stayed ultra-glossy and super slick ever since. No sign of any swirls or other issues have cropped up yet hence I've not done anything different (of course it rarely gets "dirty" per se since it never is driven in the rain, lol, living its charmed life). Same with the M2C so far; sealant done after paint correction right after we bought it a little over two years ago, and it's been great ever since (it doesn't ever get super dirty either and while it has been in the rain a number of times generally the E91 is used for rain duty).

About 18 months ago I had a discussion with a very high end detailing product maker, and we talked about "ceramic" treatments, and specifically what that term meant from a chemical composition viewpoint, etc. He wasn't convinced yet to offer a "ceramic labeled" product from all the chemical engineering work they had done (and didn't want to offer a product unless it was actually a superior product in all aspects of its design). However, he did comment that everyone in the industry is being forced to create "ceramic" labeled products as the marketing was rewarding them to do so; hence, the writing was on the wall that a ceramic offering, for better or worse, was going to be required.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
KevinM2931.00
      10-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Will do. I also am not convinced of superiority of ceramic vs. synthetic sealant vs. the newest and greatest, graphene. As such, I'll continue to use these products based on ease of application and personal observation of gloss and durability.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      10-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Will do. I also am not convinced of superiority of ceramic vs. synthetic sealant vs. the newest and greatest, graphene. As such, I'll continue to use these products based on ease of application and personal observation of gloss and durability.
A ceramic coating is better than a synthetic sealant. I don’t think there is a sealant that will outdo a ceramic coating. Ceramic sprays is a whole other story and the reward of marketing I would agree with. People are really dumb and fall for anything. Chemical guys is a great case study with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Wondering if anyone has used this. https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-G200...s%2C216&sr=8-6

Seems like a good idea in order to top off your base protective coating on a regular basis. I use a quick detailer on my cars almost every week, so I decided to give it a try. It is certainly as easy to apply as a regular detail spray.

We'll see about durability. But since I generally apply a base coat every 3-4 months and I live in a dry climate, I may not notice a difference.
I have been using Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...-Wax/136531484

For years I was old school and did weekly 2-bucket washes and did a hand wax every month or two. Maybe clay bar once a year or so followed by a hand wax.

At this point in life, I'm looking to work smarter, not harder, and things like the new SiO2 products are really making life easier.

I love the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax as a cheap and easy solution. I started using it on my Camaro a couple years ago and it was a revelation. I used Meguiar's Polymer Tech Wax and then applied the Hybrid Ceramic Wax over that. I waxed the Camaro once a year or so, and applied the Hybrid Ceramic at almost every wash.

I've had the M2C since June and have not yet waxed it. I may wax the car before winter since this is a year-round car for me, and I'll take all the protection I can get. I applied the hybrid Ceramic wax on the first wash, spreading it with a microfiber cloth per the instructions. Now it's just the follow-up light spray and final rinse at the end of each wash.

I use an EGO cordless leaf blower after the rinse. There is so much beading that the blower takes care of almost all the water. One medium size waffle type microfiber drying cloth will completely dry the car. The towel is actually almost dry after wiping the exterior. The door jambs, and under the trunk lid and hood have most of the water, but one towel takes care of it all.

A little goes a long way with this spray. I found that out the very first time I used it on the Camaro. I used too much and there was streaking after the rinse. But no biggie, and it just took some extra rinsing to get rid of the excess.

Sometimes you may want to do a touch-up on a small area between washes. Or apply the product to areas like the door jambs or underneath the trunk or hood. I have a separate spray bottle with the product diluted 8:1 for simple spray on and wipe off application. It works exactly like a detail mist. In fact, this is likely the same as the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer in the OP's link.

Besides the water beading like crazy, I'm very pleased with the Hybrid Ceramic shine. It seems to be as deep as a fresh wax job. Meguiar's claims the protection and durability are superior to conventional wax. The biggest reward, however, is the ease of application. It's literally spray on and rinse off at the end of a normal wash. There's still a place for hand waxing, but this is the new way for me.
KevinM2931.00