BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 17 M2: Code on CarPlay via Bimmercode?

08-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

17 M2: Code on CarPlay via Bimmercode?

I've been searching through the bimmercode threads... but cannot find if CarPlay can be coded via bimmercode app.

Or is my only option to pay the $300 fee to BMW to activate. TIA.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I've been searching through the bimmercode threads... but cannot find if CarPlay can be coded via bimmercode app.

Or is my only option to pay the $300 fee to BMW to activate. TIA.
You need to add option code 6CP (apple car play) to your vehicle order which is done easiest via ESYS, it might be doable via bimmercode but it would likely be a huge hassle with a bunch of lines of code that must be altered.

Now even with the above done you will still need FSC codes which cannot be generated on the F series without special tools, and so far to my knowledge there is no free FSC generator available yet for the idrive nbt evo in which idrive 5.0 + is running on.

Now this is exacerbated even further depending on your istep version, earlier ISTEP versions can have FSC codes imputted via the glove box USB port allowing FSC codes to be purchased from Ebay for really cheap. Later isteps lock the usb port from accepting FSC codes so you must upload them via enet which essentially stops all these cheaper ebay options.

Now the last caviot is even if you were to get an ebay source for enet FSC codes or you have an old istep that can accept USB FSC codes you must consider the fact that if you bring the car to the dealer and they do a software update or you do a software update at home it can brick the idrive as the apple car play FSC codes are not original. This can result in the loss of navigation and a costly repair. So you must find an apple car play FSC code that includes a restore option that will have an FSC repair kit attached to it which can remove the after market FSC codes and put the stock ones back in place for software updates or dealer visits.

Hope this helps.
      08-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for the info. You made my decision of paying $300 to activate via BMW an easy one

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Thanks for the info. You made my decision of paying $300 to activate via BMW an easy one
There are cheaper options out there but you will have to restore the old FSC's before every dealership visit as a precaution.
      08-24-2020, 02:24 AM   #5
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
There are cheaper options out there but you will have to restore the old FSC's before every dealership visit as a precaution.
Yes, ENET activation has an option to Restore to OEM before dealer visit.
Not always necessary - usually even they do software update nothing wrong happens. CarPlay just wipes out and needs activation again - that's it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:42 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Yes, ENET activation has an option to Restore to OEM before dealer visit.
Not always necessary - usually even they do software update nothing wrong happens. CarPlay just wipes out and needs activation again - that's it.
Not some ebay options, I have heard they just use a remote connection to activate car play and once that is done they leave you hanging no restore afterwards.

Yes not always necessary, but a good precaution just in case. I have also heard of issues where carplay is removed and the stock FSC codes are also not put back on and it causes nav to be "bricked" you can fix this with the tools that comes with a enet option. But I have also heard of cases where the nav system is flagged by bmw, or cases where the flash fails and it is bricked. But unfortuantely there is not much discussion on these topics because not many people have a really new istep that prevents USB FSC activation, a car that did not come with car play, and an idrive unit capable of carplay so the combination of the three makes this a rare phenomenon. So I just say be and flash it back, that way the dealer won't give you heck about warranty either.
      08-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #7
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Not some ebay options, I have heard they just use a remote connection to activate car play and once that is done they leave you hanging no restore afterwards.

Yes not always necessary, but a good precaution just in case. I have also heard of issues where carplay is removed and the stock FSC codes are also not put back on and it causes nav to be "bricked" you can fix this with the tools that comes with a enet option. But I have also heard of cases where the nav system is flagged by bmw, or cases where the flash fails and it is bricked. But unfortuantely there is not much discussion on these topics because not many people have a really new istep that prevents USB FSC activation, a car that did not come with car play, and an idrive unit capable of carplay so the combination of the three makes this a rare phenomenon. So I just say be and flash it back, that way the dealer won't give you heck about warranty either.
Yes, it's better stay off ebay options as they don't provide aftermarket support.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Yes, it's better stay off ebay options as they don't provide aftermarket support.
+1
      08-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Strongly suggest going with kubax86. He's done multiple cars with me and has been patient with my idiotic questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Can confirm, went with kubax86 They're knowledgeable and it was quick/easy.
Appreciate 0