BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

08-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #89
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Usability update:

1. To recap, I've used a beta version of BimmerLINK app to remove the burbles (not yet available in the app stores)
2. removed Veepeak dongle from the OBD port- so there is no live connectivity between the app and the DME
3. Used the car several times over the weekend (with multiple engine starts/shut downs): the status remained unchanged...the burbles remained completely off!!

This needs to be said again: I enjoy driving the car far more since I've coded out the burbles. Besides full car PPF (SunTek) and tinted windows which are cosmetic, this is the only 'tech mod' I've done, and it surely transformed the driving experience.

Highly recommend it and super happy that Stephan @BimmerLink made it happen!
I got the beta version from Stephan, I just tried it out and it definitely does stop the burble. I uplugged everything and it start/stop and it still remains the burbeless.

I did hear a small burb with some quick shifts but can confirm that it does turn it off for sure when you let off the gas.

Everything is stock etc. It's good to have this at our fingertips for sure! Thanks for work on this and sharing your experience.
      08-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #90
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I got the beta version from Stephan, I just tried it out and it definitely does stop the burble. I uplugged everything and it start/stop and it still remains the burbeless.

I did hear a small burb with some quick shifts but can confirm that it does turn it off for sure when you let off the gas.

Everything is stock etc. It's good to have this at our fingertips for sure! Thanks for work on this and sharing your experience.
Are you guys android or iOS users?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #91
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
I've been using a beta iOS version of BimmerLink.
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00
      08-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #92
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Developer says will be in next Android update.
      08-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #93
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

iOS
      08-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #94
Tav7467
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C Hokenhiem Silver / Orange

Only if coldstart rpm's could be set through there now 🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #95
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well there are beta users on iOS so maybe Stephan will put in both.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #96
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Well there are beta users on iOS so maybe Stephan will put in both.
Yes he's doing both. Doesn't need beta for Android from what I gather.
      08-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #97
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Yes he's doing both. Doesn't need beta for Android from what I gather.
Confirmed with Stephan. It will be available via bimmerlink for both android and iOS users. The only question remaining is how soon it will be released.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7441.00
      08-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #98
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tav7467 View Post
Only if coldstart rpm's could be set through there now 🤣
Not following: are you saying you're looking for a way to limit the RPM level upon startup? Why would you want to?

If you're looking to increase/lower the startup decibel level, in the released version of BimmerLink, there's an option called 'Exhaust Flap'. Won't turning that to OPEN/CLOSED achieve what you're looking for?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #99
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Confirmed with Stephan. It will be available via bimmerlink for both android and iOS users. The only question remaining is how soon it will be released.
Given my email communication with Stephan, we're looking around a few weeks for a new BimmerLink version to be officially released.

NOTE: Apple's App Store approval process is stringent, and on average it takes longer than its Android counterpart.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #100
Westerwälder
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2c

FYI: Same is possible with the AK Motion Data Display.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #101
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerwälder View Post
FYI: Same is possible with the AK Motion Data Display.
Absolutely as some members already confirmed that the AK Motion can disable the burbles. That was my go to option until I reached out the BimmerLink developer. But you have to figure in the cost of the AK motion unit (~450 USD) plus installation costs if you are Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor.

Goes without saying that you get other features & benefits with the AK Motion display, but if you're primarily looking to remove the burbles, BimmerLink can achieve the same result at a fraction of a cost.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #102
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

The developer sent me the iOS beta early this morning. I immediately disabled burbles, disconnected BimmerLink, pulled the VeePeak from the OBD port and went back to work. The car sat for about 5 hours before I had a chance to start it up and go for a drive. Burbles were still turned off after the car sat all morning. Pretty neat.

As much as I hate the burbles, I kind of missed them on my short drive. I sent the developer a couple follow-up questions, namely, if it’s possible to disable burbles in Sport but keep them in Sport+.
Appreciate 3
      08-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #103
Tav7467
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Not following: are you saying you're looking for a way to limit the RPM level upon startup? Why would you want to?

If you're looking to increase/lower the startup decibel level, in the released version of BimmerLink, there's an option called 'Exhaust Flap'. Won't turning that to OPEN/CLOSED achieve what you're looking for?
I mean disable cold start and lower your startup rpm's. You can do it in BM3. Its great because it lowers the sound level to keep the neighbors happy, plus if you set the RPMs to around 860 it doesnt sound like a woodchipper on cold start. I used to do it before the dealer updated the firmware and I can't tune anymore without a bench unlock. I doubt this app can access the tables needed to adjust it via odb2 if tuners cant figure it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #104
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Cold start removal would definitely be cool, some of these options are great for folks that don't have a tune or won't be getting a tune during warranty.
      08-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #105
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mean disable cold start and lower your startup rpm's. You can do it in BM3. Its great because it lowers the sound level to keep the neighbors happy, plus if you set the RPMs to around 860 it doesnt sound like a woodchipper on cold start. I used to do it before the dealer updated the firmware and I can't tune anymore without a bench unlock. I doubt this app can access the tables needed to adjust it via odb2 if tuners cant figure it out yet.
How long does it typically take for tuners to bench unlock?

PS: Is the Gaslamp Bar & Grill still open?
      08-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #106
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
I sent the developer a couple follow-up questions, namely, if it’s possible to disable burbles in Sport but keep them in Sport+.
I also asked how it was possible to disable burbles without changing the engine tune itself — Stephan's response:

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not possible to to disable/enable the burbles for specific driving modes. BMW added a service function to the engine control unit for diagnostic purposes to enable/disable burbles. Disabling should stick after battery has been disconnected, but has not been tested so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #107
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Understood!

Reach out to the developer if this is a need/want...he is extremely responsive and helpful. Less than a week ago the community had no idea that we could use BimmerLink to turn off burbles, until I asked him. Till now, the only options were actual tuning of the car and addition of the AK Motion display (which both are $$$ by comparison). So you never know...
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7441.00
      08-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #108
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post

Stephan's response:

Quote:
...BMW added a service function to the engine control unit for diagnostic purposes to enable/disable burbles.
Wut??? Not sure what he meant by this...are burbles part of a diagnostic mode or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #109
Tav7467
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How long does it typically take for tuners to bench unlock?

PS: Is the Gaslamp Bar & Grill still open?
Supposed to be a shop hour or two.... still cant find a trustworthy shop to do it local. And yes, still open, altough very family friendly these days lol
Appreciate 1
ebisu81078.00
      08-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #110
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Okay so forgive my ignorance, but based on that video earlier in this thread regarding the hyundai, it sounds like ignition timing is altered to create the burbles. Are there any concerns that there may be long term consequences or warranty concerns over essentially changing the engine timing?
Appreciate 0