BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M3 / M4 Style Winglet Mirror Caps / Mirrors for M2 - Best?

06-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #45
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Guys. Shoot us a PM or email me directly at jack@autoid.uk.com if you have any questions.

Our TRE Units are proving to be a popular solution for the OG M2. As some have said above; they offer 90% of the look and fitment for 25% of the price.

Our pre-preg carbon units are a real stunning piece of kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #46
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF87M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Do you think if you had the money , would you upgrade to the m2 comp ?
No because if I wanted the S55 I'd get an M3.
I don't want to turn this into an M2 vs M2c cus we have enough of those but I will say the 3 piece kit from autotecknic/ind/auto id should satisfy 99% of people.
Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to turn this into an M2 vs M2c cus we have enough of those but I will say the 3 piece kit from autotecknic/ind/auto id should satisfy 99% of people.
Of course they will satisfy 99% of people , i was so excited with the autoid full mirror unit , it was exactly the same as the new m2/3/4 mirrors , except the led . I did purchased the og mirrors tho because of that feeling that i needed to have my car full stock , nothing aftermarket . And basically is the only reason . (It also looks better with the black led) but this was not a problem for me , just wanted the m2 full oem so i retrofit them .
Do you still have the AutoID set?
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      07-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #47
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Of course they will satisfy 99% of people , i was so excited with the autoid full mirror unit , it was exactly the same as the new m2/3/4 mirrors , except the led . I did purchased the og mirrors tho because of that feeling that i needed to have my car full stock , nothing aftermarket . And basically is the only reason . (It also looks better with the black led) but this was not a problem for me , just wanted the m2 full oem so i retrofit them .
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I ve got 3 sets from autoid , and 2 from my dealer (blue cap and carbon cap) total 5 !!
      07-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #48
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I ve got 3 sets from autoid , and 2 from my dealer (blue cap and carbon cap) total 5 !!
How long did you use the AutoID 3 piece unit with carbon caps set for?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
dr_rick
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2 OG  [10.00]
Quote:
BlueF87M2 , would you be interested in offloading the AutoID carbon caps?

If so, fire me a PM.

Rick

BMW M2 / DCT / LBB
(carbon underway)
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      07-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #50
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For 3 months buddy . Its in good condition . The thing is that i maybe give all those 5 sets which includes , blue original mirror caps , the original mirror caps in carbon fiber , then i ve got another 2 different style mirror caps from autoid in carbon fiber , and the complete mirror unit with carbon fiber , which includes everything , even the original glasses . With their arms , complete !! But its more easy to sell for example all of the 5 sets for a price lets say 1500 than each one at 200 or so ..
      07-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #51
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For 3 months buddy . Its in good condition . The thing is that i maybe give all those 5 sets which includes , blue original mirror caps , the original mirror caps in carbon fiber , then i ve got another 2 different style mirror caps from autoid in carbon fiber , and the complete mirror unit with carbon fiber , which includes everything , even the original glasses . With their arms , complete !! But its more easy to sell for example all of the 5 sets for a price lets say 1500 than each one at 200 or so ..
Alright good to know, if your ever thinking about selling the AutoID Carbon 3 piece unit set let me know.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      07-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #52
dr_rick
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2 OG  [10.00]
Yeah, don't think I'm ready for bulk buying, so....as and when for an individual set, let me know.

BMW M2 / DCT / LBB
(carbon underway)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #53
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

You can get the Autotechnik full housing replacements painted for $265 shipped which was a no-brainer for me. I like the AutoID guys but the same product would have been $381 shipped (305 pounds converted).
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 02:59 AM   #54
dr_rick
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2 OG  [10.00]
So, what are people’s thoughts on the ABS with carbon, vs dry carbon M3 style variations?

I don’t ‘get’ the weight saving argument. This is a road car, and unless it’s roof panels, or wheels, I’m not convinced it’s worth going dry carbon for weight saving purposes. However, finish style, I could consider. Is it worth the extra financial outlay.

My plan is to do the usual: front & mid winglets, spoiler & diffuser, and mirrors. Kidneys I’ve already Plastidip covered. Personally I think the carbon kidneys don’t look right, but that’s just me.

BMW M2 / DCT / LBB
(carbon underway)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #55
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rick View Post
So, what are people’s thoughts on the ABS with carbon, vs dry carbon M3 style variations?

I don’t ‘get’ the weight saving argument. This is a road car, and unless it’s roof panels, or wheels, I’m not convinced it’s worth going dry carbon for weight saving purposes. However, finish style, I could consider. Is it worth the extra financial outlay.

My plan is to do the usual: front & mid winglets, spoiler & diffuser, and mirrors. Kidneys I’ve already Plastidip covered. Personally I think the carbon kidneys don’t look right, but that’s just me.
I'm in the boat now considering between ABS with carbon vs dry carbon M3/M4 style mirrors - which did you end up going with and what are your thoughts on them?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #56
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

Figured I'd contribute to this thread being as though the F30 and M2 share the same mirror substructure..

Here's mine; with a twist.

Eye spy with my little eye... something that that has been wanted on these mirrors for a little while.

Currently only temporarily mounted until I get some 3D scans done then CAD up some proper PnP mounts.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      10-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #57
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post
Figured I'd contribute to this thread being as though the F30 and M2 share the same mirror substructure..

Eye spy with my little eye... something that that has been wanted on these mirrors for a little while.

Currently only temporarily mounted until I get some 3D scans done then CAD up some proper PnP mounts.
For those who can't tell, his OEM mirrors have cameras and he modded his 3pc aftermarket M-style housing/cap (same design as AutoID) to support the cameras.

Well freaking done! I stalked your thread and I must say, great DIY all around (including respraying the caps to match your beautiful orange paint). This camera mod won't be applicable to M2 owners, however. Our cars never came with that option.

One question if you don't mind. How would you rate the fitment of the bulbxpert caps? Any odd gaps? Coincidentally, I've ordered a CF diffuser from that same seller and both the fit and finish were awful. They were kind enough to give me a full refund, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #58
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post

Who makes that splitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #59
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Who makes that splitter?
BMW.. car came equipped with it from factory. Only difference is most people don't half paint the splitter.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #60
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
For those who can't tell, his OEM mirrors have cameras and he modded his 3pc aftermarket M-style housing/cap (same design as AutoID) to support the cameras.

Well freaking done! I stalked your thread and I must say, great DIY all around (including respraying the caps to match your beautiful orange paint). This camera mod won't be applicable to M2 owners, however. Our cars never came with that option.

One question if you don't mind. How would you rate the fitment of the bulbxpert caps? Any odd gaps? Coincidentally, I've ordered a CF diffuser from that same seller and both the fit and finish were awful. They were kind enough to give me a full refund, though.
Thanks gphung,

I thought the base M2 had the option for birds-eye camera..

Umm I'd rate the fitment of the mirror housings as a solid 7 or 8/10. The gaps between the different sections of the housing took a lot to get get right. It's not an OEM replacement part, so I kinda expected that. Are they horrible, heck no.. Could I work with what I was given, yeah. Do you have to pay attention when you're assembling them, OMFG yes.

An example is one of the alignment holes for the drivers-side back plate. I had to remove the paint from it because my mirror wouldn't fold correctly. Just with the thickness of paint caused the plastic to not fit together perfectly which caused the mirror to bind up on itself.. So really it's like splitting hairs.

It's pretty much the same story for any aftermarket body part. If you want to spend the time do figure out how to mount it and tweak as you go, it'll turn out great. If you want to only bolt up the part and expect it'll fit 100% right out of the box, then you might want to look elsewhere.

Last edited by zibbit; 10-10-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      01-14-2024, 11:56 PM   #61
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

Bump its 2024 now but hows fitment now a days?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:46 AM   #62
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I’m also interested to hear what the current generation of AutoID wing mirror assemblies are like (to fit to an OG). I keep reading about them having “90% of the fitment of OEM units). Can anyone show what that looks like? Are there obvious gaps? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:35 AM   #63
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

Just a bump. Stick with v2 mirror caps instead of v3. It will suffice with 100% oem fitment and symetry.

For v3, there is to many variables involve to get them to look 90% oem, and thats the thing. Because of their design, you are capped because the mirror caps don’t flow with the base very well. Looks very unnatural. In my opinion if you decide to go all out, skip v3 and get m2c mirror assembly to avoid fitment flaws.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:23 AM   #64
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I got mine on Temu or Alibaba (can’t remember which) for like 20 bucks and they look and fit great 🤷🏻‍♂️
Attached Images

Appreciate 0