BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Wireless Charger mod - Fit larger phones

06-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #67
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC90 View Post
The part is not available from Shapeways anymore unfortunately. I have uploaded the model here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3819314. You can either download the model and print it yourself (or use a 3d printing service) or click the "Order this printed" button.
Hi Steve

Would love to get your model printed.
Any chance I can get the files?
The link above doesn’t have it anymore.
Getting a 404 when trying to download.
Many thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRelliux View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Hi Steve

Would love to get your model printed.
Any chance I can get the files?
The link above doesn’t have it anymore.
Getting a 404 when trying to download.
Many thanks!
SteveC90

Hey Steve I am also interested in this design but can't download file anymore Any change you would re upload it?
I just checked and I can download the individual stl file. Click "Thing Files" and Dowload the stl (Dowload All shows a 404). Let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #68
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Thanks SteveC90

Found them too.
Got the printed and few days ago.
Installed.
Works well.
Charging is kinda slow but better than nothing 😀
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #69
dailym2
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

S8+ user here as well and I've been frustrated since I got the car that my phone wouldn't fit in the wireless charger.
Thanks for the model. Will definitely give it a try soon.

Last edited by dailym2; 08-02-2020 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #70
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

So anyone do this mod recently and have purchased the component from 3D Hubs? The actual component is $9.30, which is great. But upon checkout, I am charged $100 because it included a $90 "minimum order value surcharge"...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #71
spree
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

I tried 3d printing this bracket.

These were the specs:

BMW_Wireless_Charger_-_bracket.stl, Count: 1, material: 3DPS ABS, Specification: Layer thickness: High Quality; Filling: Solid Fill; Color: 3DPS Black ABS;

The limbs were a little warped slanting outwards.
So I tried straightening them a little but one limb snapped!

Any suggestions as to what material or parameters would make this less warped and less brittle?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #72
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

I'm getting an iPhone 12 Pro Max next month, and I want to mod my M2's charging cradle to fit it.
Will not be using the 3D printing technique because the plastic appears to be too flimsy.

There might be a way to shave off the bump stops on the base to allow the slider to move further back.
When I get my phone I'll try to figure out if it's possible.

(I thought about tearing out the cradle and replacing it with a MagSafe charger under a BMW OEM "mat" tray.
Then I read that the cradle isn't just a charger. It connects the phone to the external antenna
and also boosts the signal with an LTE Compensator. So the stock cradle stays.)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #73
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
I'm getting an iPhone 12 Pro Max next month, and I want to mod my M2's charging cradle to fit it.
Will not be using the 3D printing technique because the plastic appears to be too flimsy.

There might be a way to shave off the bump stops on the base to allow the slider to move further back.
When I get my phone I'll try to figure out if it's possible.

(I thought about tearing out the cradle and replacing it with a MagSafe charger under a BMW OEM "mat" tray.
Then I read that the cradle isn't just a charger. It connects the phone to the external antenna
and also boosts the signal with an LTE Compensator. So the stock cradle stays.)
Be sure to know exactly what you're getting into. I was all about the mod and it was one of the first thing I did when I got my car. And let me tell you, people weren't lying when they said the phone gets hot! This is especially true when you're running CarPlay while charging. I went back to stock and stuck with a USB charger in the end.
      10-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #74
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Be sure to know exactly what you're getting into. I was all about the mod and it was one of the first thing I did when I got my car. And let me tell you, people weren't lying when they said the phone gets hot! This is especially true when you're running CarPlay while charging. I went back to stock and stuck with a USB charger in the end.
I'm going to see if I can get away with just grinding a little plastic off the stock cradle.
Looks like the clamp needs to slide roughly 15-20mm more to fit the 12 Pro Max.
Right now there are plastic stops in the tray that keep it from going any further.

And yes, I've noticed that every inductive charging iPhone I've had (X, XS, 11 Pro)
got warm in the charger. I have an Element fire extinguisher within easy reach.

The main reason why I want to use the stock cradle is that it sends the phone's signal to the
external antenna through a signal booster ("LTE-Compensator"). Another reason
is that the stock clamp holds the phone down really well. No issue on track days.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)

Last edited by Bosozoku; 11-14-2020 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #75
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku;
The main reason why I want to use the stock cradle is that it sends the phone's signal to the
external antenna through a signal booster ("LTE-Compensator").
I've heard this a few times. Is this a fact? I haven't noticed a difference in cell signal in or out of the cradle.

Quote:
Another reason
is that the stock clamp holds the phone down really well. No issue on track days.
Very good use for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #76
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
I've heard this a few times. Is this a fact? I haven't noticed a difference in cell signal in or out of the cradle.

Very good use for sure!
All I know is what I read in the BMW Driver's Guide app. There's nothing about the cradle in the paper owner's manual that I could find.

And with AT&T, I haven't noticed any improvement in signal strength with any of my past or present iPhones in the cradle.
So I'm not really sure exactly how important that LTE-Compensator actually is.
I'd rather not mess with it by ripping out the stock cradle and hacking a MagSafe puck into the console.

Here's a screenshot of the BMW Driver's Guide app:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      02-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #77
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Will not be using the 3D printing technique because the plastic appears to be too flimsy. ...
Just a follow-up. I charged up the Dremel Mini Mite, picked out just the right grinder attachment,
popped out the tray + slider assembly, did a very careful inspection...

But no. To get the iPhone 12 Pro Max to fit, I'd need to increase slider travel by 10 or 11 mm.
I don't think there's any way to remove enough material from the bump stops at the aft
of the tray without also grinding off some attachment screws on its underside. Not sure
how important those screws are, but my instinct says "no."

Thought about trimming the small rubber bumper on the forward post (with the blue charging
LED), or even pulling off the rubber bumper entirely, but that would only add about 3 or 4mm.
I'd still need to grind off too much plastic and screws from the tray bump stops.

Oh well. I might try to find a 3D printing shop to make that custom slider.

On second thought - the slider only has two functions:
1. hold the phone in place, and
2. switch the Qi charging coils on/off.

Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #78
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i would think that bimmertech could sell a million replacement 10W qi charging cradles that actually worked in the console these cars! they've done such a great job with other OEM integration parts...seems like a no brainer.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 02-16-2021 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #79
mihulasi
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

well cool man
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #80
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Anyone have the stl for download? The thingiverse link is giving me a 404.
      08-11-2021, 12:41 AM   #81
Martvanderkooi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3S / Lotus Evora / Mini

Exclamation New updated part available on Ebay

Hi BMW / MINI drivers, there is a new part available to resolve the problem, the 3d print file is available for FREE. But also a link to printed parts are available on Ebay.

Have fun with it!

FREE 3D MODEL:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4863173

EBAY LINK:
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/265261514775...4AAOSwxhdhEi94

Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
Distinct108.50
      08-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #82
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martvanderkooi View Post
Hi BMW / MINI drivers, there is a new part available to resolve the problem, the 3d print file is available for FREE. But also a link to printed parts are available on Ebay.

Have fun with it!

FREE 3D MODEL:

EBAY LINK:

😂 close to $800 to ship? That's is absurd. Better just finding a 3D printer nearby for this.

Also, the wireless cradle is terrible on the M2C. Heats up way too fast and just stops charging. Much better with the fast charge USB charger.
      01-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #83
m2.girll
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425M2 View Post
very cool! I ended up completely removing the wireless charger from my center console. Rather have the room to put my crap in
Do you have a picture of the inside of the center console with the wireless charger? I'm thinking about doing the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #84
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martvanderkooi View Post

Have fun with it!

FREE 3D MODEL:

EBAY LINK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
😂 close to $800 to ship? That's is absurd. Better just finding a 3D printer nearby for this.

Also, the wireless cradle is terrible on the M2C. Heats up way too fast and just stops charging. Much better with the fast charge USB charger.
This an old thread, but I just ordered this. The shipping isn't $800 just a little over $8.00. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding or what. Hope everything works out, because this is a nice solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 06:07 PM   #85
dago65
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 20i MX Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
This an old thread, but I just ordered this. The shipping isn't $800 just a little over $8.00. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding or what. Hope everything works out, because this is a nice solution.

How did the purchase go? Everything OK?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:29 PM   #86
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dago65 View Post
How did the purchase go? Everything OK?
Everything went well, just took some time to get it. It's not much, but does the job and worth it my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #87
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

FYI I printed this myself and installed it expecting to use it with an iPhone 14 pro max. While the phone fits, the camera bump is so large and the charging surface is so small, the back of the phone doesn’t make contact. Therefore it does not charge, even without a case
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 11:36 PM   #88
niedae
Registered
Rep
Drives: x2 s2.8 18 & Cayenne Turbo 19

I new to BMW and just inherited my very first BMW, a x2 2.8s 2018 from my mom, who has stopped driving.

I saw these threads on the phone cradle and thank you to everyone who posted, as it helped me get the job done on the car. Took about an hour to do the work, but a lot more time to figure out how to do the work as the other posts and youtube videos are not the same as how the 2018 x2 is setup.

On mine, you do the work in the center console and lift up the wireless charger top which exposes the latch so you can get to the screws. You cannot actually move the entire charger out of the center console without a significant amount of work, from what I could tell. I undid the four clips towards to back with a long skinny metal shim (used for cell phones) and the units lifted slightly, but the cables are tight and it would not lift up more than a few inches and only from the back. Then after some more work, I just got lucky and when I used a plastic pry bar to pull up from the front (Where the blue light is), the unit actually popped up and then from there I was able to work my way down the sides to get the unit to open. No plastic tabs were broken, thankfully.

I printed the latch at a local shop for $50.00 and used the highest quality which was called a Formlabs Nylon 11. They printed two, even though I paid for one, so i have an extra if anyone wants it, but I will say the material is brittle. I cracked that 2nd piece, when I dropped in about 2 feet (and its pretty light), but it broke. However I glued it back together with superglue. Superglue seems to hold this type of plastic material very well. The company i used is "jinxbot 3d printing" in Mountain View, CA.

Like mentioned before, there are no guide holes, so I drilled holes to make the guide posts, so it would sit flush when I screwed it in. The bracket seems to be fine and did not crack when I put my phone into the cradle (Iphone 12 Pro Max). It also charger, but if you have a case with a metal plate (mag safe), it might not charge. Mine was fine with the Apple case, but my wifes phone has a knock off magsafe case and i had to take it out of the case to charge in the cradle (so kind of useless for her).

Have photos if anyone wants to see the work for the 2018 x2.
Appreciate 0