BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Battery tender hook up

06-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
The engine bay is where you do it.
      08-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by debug View Post
I installed my Noco Genius battery maintainer the following way:

Installation notes:
1. I have an extension for the terminal connectors.
2. The nuts holding the terminal connectors are T50.
3. I added the plastic tubing to make it more cosmetic.
4. Charging is done from the hood cowling area without the need to lift the hood.
Thanks for posting this...I'm trying to replicate it, albeit with a CTEK Multi US 7200.

I'm curious about the plastic tubing you utilized...is it high heat resistant, or standard? I noticed that the engine bay gets quite warm (currently I'm in TX, had outside temps ~ 110 F, probably much hotter in the engine bay), and don't want the wires to melt.

Regardless, would you mind posting a link to the tubing?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks for posting this...I'm trying to replicate it, albeit with a CTEK Multi US 7200.

I'm curious about the plastic tubing you utilized...is it high heat resistant, or standard? I noticed that the engine bay gets quite warm (currently I'm in TX, had outside temps ~ 110 F, probably much hotter in the engine bay), and don't want the wires to melt.

Regardless, would you mind posting a link to the tubing?
Atleast on my m2, that side of the engine bay doesn't really get hot if you pop the hood and touch the cable right after a hard drive. It's actually cool to the touch, it only gets warm when the hood is shut and the car sits off for awhile, but the cables were designed to be permanently installed so it should be fine. Plus the ctek cables and seals are ipx rated weather proof so there shouldn't be a problem if you own a ctek.
      08-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #26
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Atleast on my m2, that side of the engine bay doesn't really get hot if you pop the hood and touch the cable right after a hard drive. It's actually cool to the touch, it only gets warm when the hood is shut and the car sits off for awhile, but the cables were designed to be permanently installed so it should be fine. Plus the ctek cables and seals are ipx rated weather proof so there shouldn't be a problem if you own a ctek.
10-4. Thanks for validating F87source ...I guess I can safely leave the 'o-ringed shaped' battery connectors naked without heat wrapping them.

BTW, purchasing the CTEK MUS7200 was a fantastic choice - cannot recommend this battery tender/charger any higher: about once/month, I plug in every one of my cars and top them off. Of course, I use the 'snow-flake' mode for the M2C, 'normal' mode for other cars.
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      08-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
10-4. Thanks for validating F87source ...I guess I can safely leave the 'o-ringed shaped' battery connectors naked without heat wrapping them.

BTW, purchasing the CTEK MUS7200 was a fantastic choice - cannot recommend this battery tender/charger any higher: about once/month, I plug in every one of my cars and top them off. Of course, I use the 'snow-flake' mode for the M2C, 'normal' mode for other cars.
No problem, yeah it doesn't get that hot (after turning off the car after a drive) maybe pretty warm like leaving it in the sun but nothing crazy. Even if it did fail, unlikely to fail due to temps, but if it did a replacement ringlet connector is really cheap.

But yes the ctek mus7002 is a fantastic charger I absolutely love it myself, I'll post my cable routing on here at some point, but I don't even have to open the hood to hook up the charger and it never gets wet even when washing the car.
      08-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #28
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

No problem, yeah it doesn't get that hot (after turning off the car after a drive) maybe pretty warm like leaving it in the sun but nothing crazy. Even if it did fail, unlikely to fail due to temps, but if it did a replacement ringlet connector is really cheap.

But yes the ctek mus7002 is a fantastic charger I absolutely love it myself, I'll post my cable routing on here at some point, but I don't even have to open the hood to hook up the charger and it never gets wet even when washing the car.
Yeah, when you get a chance, please post some pictures of your setup. I have the CTEK extension cord as well...so it's either too long with it, or too short without it: I still have to open the hood to physically connect the charger.

Cheers & Be Well!
      08-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, when you get a chance, please post some pictures of your setup. I have the CTEK extension cord as well...so it's either too long with it, or too short without it: I still have to open the hood to physically connect the charger.

Cheers & Be Well!
Yeah I'll try to get a thread going soon, I've been promising it for a really long time now but because of the image uploading difficulties where I have to down sample and image first, then upload to imgur, the link it here I never got around to it.

Yup I have an extension as well and I have routed it in such a way I don't need to open the hood and nothing is exposed to the outside. Also the majority of the extension is tucked away in a compartment of the engine bay that is actually cold even after a long drive, this is likely due to the air flow.

And thanks for the well wishes, I hope you are well too.
      08-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #30
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers & Be Well!
Yeah I'll try to get a thread going soon, I've been promising it for a really long time now but because of the image uploading difficulties where I have to down sample and image first, then upload to imgur, the link it here I never got around to it.

Yup I have an extension as well and I have routed it in such a way I don't need to open the hood and nothing is exposed to the outside. Also the majority of the extension is tucked away in a compartment of the engine bay that is actually cold even after a long drive, this is likely due to the air flow.

And thanks for the well wishes, I hope you are well too.
Cheers mate!
      08-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #31
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
So I got encouraged and decided to re-route my CTEK wiring...see attached.

Note - not happy how it looks, would very much prefer to have a neat and tight wiring harness...but hey not too bad. My skills are exactly like Tim The Toolman Taylor, so I can't complain as it's functional.
Attached Images

08-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Nah...reviewing my setup, it looks like total shite...compared to how debug has it going, mine is kindergarten grade quality.

Looking for further inspirations on this thread...like easy to follow instructions and BOM list for tubing, clips, etc. Hey, at least I've advanced: I no longer have to open the hood to connect the CTEK charger...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #33
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Thanks to debug for the inspiration. I copied the cable routing toward the windshield and happy with how it turned out! Here are some pics with the setup, and the stuff I used.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #34
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Thanks to debug for the inspiration. I copied the cable routing toward the windshield and happy with how it turned out! Here are some pics with the setup, and the stuff I used.
Pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      05-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #35
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

There's a ground connector under the passenger side strut brace, I am planning on relocating my ground there so now my harness would be pretty much invisible once the relocation has been done.

It is all wrapped up in tessa tape as well to ensure no chaffing when I run the cable. The plug side is still in the same area and accessible without lifting the hood, all you have to do is move the rubber liner a bit and stick your finger down.

Still left to do is the following, this is really on the back burner because I have alot of other little projects to tackle:

- 3D print a holder for the ctek connector so I don't have to tape it down.
- If I am really crazy pull apart the ctek cables and create my own custom harness, this will allow me to control length and place the fuse where ever I want allowing for a really really clean setup.
      11-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #37
Tachycardia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Supplied harness too short

My + & - wires are only 14" long with the connector in the middle between the 2. That positions the connector under the hood. Is there an extended length harness available to accommodate your setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #38
Tachycardia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Under passenger side brace?

Where is the ground you mentioned "under the passenger side brace"? Pic?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post
Where is the ground you mentioned "under the passenger side brace"? Pic?
It's where the fan relay grounds to.

Extension is available from ctek, Google ctek extension.
      02-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #40
bummie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Battery Tender connections

Hook up the Battery Tender in the engine compartment. Open the red cover which is on the passenger's side and connect the red lead. Connect the black lead to the stud sticking up on the passenger's side near the front of the car. Plug in the Tender. Easy peesy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 08:51 PM   #41
Rondogger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition; 2019 X3 M

Garage List
Ok stupid question but… how do you get the nut off of the positive terminal under the hood? I could not get it loose without fearing I would break it or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:18 PM   #42
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondogger View Post
Ok stupid question but… how do you get the nut off of the positive terminal under the hood? I could not get it loose without fearing I would break it or something.
It wasn't that tight for me, just turn it counter clockwise with a torx 45 socket (or something similar in size, can't remember what it was).
      11-20-2023, 09:38 AM   #43
Rondogger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition; 2019 X3 M

Garage List
Thank you! I shall try it again!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #44
Rondogger
Canada
Rep