BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > pictures of the M2 next to my 1M

11-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #67
markee_dude
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

I know looks are subjective but the M2 looks miles better than the M1 IMHO. The M1 almost looks like its "eyes" are too big proportionally and looks as if it is crossed eyed and ready to pop out. The headlight design was poorly executed. The M2 is just a beauty front and back. To me no contest here. M2 wins hands down.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #68
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

like most have said, M2 gets the nod for front and side and M1 the rear
      11-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #69
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

For me, someone who is an "M2 fanboy",
Front: M2
Side: M2
Rear: 1M
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #70
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Haha the M2 to the right look at the driver seat, Either that person is seriously tall, Or the person who drove that car to that place likes the gangster style sitting, Where you only see the forehead of the person when meeting them in traffic.

Great pictures nice to see it next to the former legend :-D

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #71
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

*insert more subjective stuff here*

Some awkward angled pictures really do make the M2 front lower section look like someone just had their wisdom teeth removed, and I am just not a fan of the hoodcut line on the Fxx cars. I'd say the 1M looked better from the front if we hadn't gotten such lousy looking headlights.
      11-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #72
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

M2 looks meaner where as the old car has a sort of happy front end look to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #73
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope
Some awkward angled pictures really do make the M2 front lower section look like someone just had their wisdom teeth removed, and I am just not a fan of the hoodcut line on the Fxx cars. I'd say the 1M looked better from the front if we hadn't gotten such lousy looking headlights.
if you look at size the 1M's headlights are actually more compact and more shapely than the M2s. The 1M has a much more classic BMW front end whereas the M2 had a more 'standard modern car' headlight treatment. The angulated 'fake angry' lights on the M2 could be from any modern car...lack character.

the more I look at these pictures the more I appreciate the 1M. BMW really missed an opportunity here by making the M2 less aggressive and cohesive looking than they should have....the 1M looks very cohesive as a design by comparison....and also looks way more aggressive and wide. The current designers at BMW have a habit of just making a mess out of everything...let's not forget these are the same people bringing us the monstrosity that is the X4...lol

I think the M2 CSL will finally be able to bring wide back to the design front, hopefully! The M2 doesn't look very wide next to the 1M...if anything it looks more compact and upright.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #74
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope
if you look at size the 1M's headlights are actually more compact and more shapely than the M2s. The 1M has a much more classic BMW front end whereas the M2 had a more 'standard modern car' headlight treatment. They angulated lights on the M2 could be from any modern car...lack character.

the more I look at these pictures the more I appreciate the 1M. BMW really missed an opportunity here by making the M2 less aggressive and cohesive looking than they should have....the 1M looks very cohesive as a design by comparison....and also looks way more aggressive and wide. The current designers at BMW have a habit of just making a mess out of everything...let's not forget these are the same people bringing us the monstrosity that is the X4...lol

I think the M2 CSL will finally be able to bring wide back to the design front, hopefully! The M2 doesn't look wide next to the 1M...
I have to agree 100% on not looking wide sitting next to the 1M. It looks at first glance like a 235i with an aftermarket M2 bumper. It looks disproportionate and awkward just like a 135i with a aftermarket 1M bumper. Where at first glance you can see the wide width on the 1M.
      11-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #75
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The M2 is heavier than 1M by 1 passenger. To me this ia pretty significant backwards step.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #76
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
The M2 is heavier than 1M by 1 passenger. To me this ia pretty significant backwards step.
Take a look from what they started with, then add in M4 suspension and bracing, wheels, body panels, exhaust, optional DCT.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #77
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
For me, someone who is an "M2 fanboy",
Front: M2
Side: M2
Rear: 1M
Couldn't agree more the 1M rear is legendary!

I also still like the front curves on the 1M more as well but, the lights on the m2 are much sleeker.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boostedtrav_/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #78
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Visually:M2
Viscerally: 1M
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #79
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
if you look at size the 1M's headlights are actually more compact and more shapely than the M2s. The 1M has a much more classic BMW front end whereas the M2 had a more 'standard modern car' headlight treatment. The angulated 'fake angry' lights on the M2 could be from any modern car...lack character.

I think the M2 CSL will finally be able to bring wide back to the design front, hopefully! The M2 doesn't look very wide next to the 1M...if anything it looks more compact and upright.
Looks are subjective

I think the front of the 1M is poorly executed... especially the lights. I was not a fan of the front from the very beginning. It's better in person but mainly because the wide fenders draw my eyes away from the awkward front. I find the 1M looks great from the rear (mainly due to the fender flares) but looks old and dated in the front.

I actually find the front of the M2 to be MORE aggressive looking than the 1M.

Couple of other observations... not sure how you see the 1M lights being more compact than the M2... they look much larger to me (front anyway). Also, you mention the M2 looks less wide and more upright... in my eyes, the M2 looks wider and lower. The roof line is lower and the overall body of the car is generally wider... the only area the 1M shows its width is the fender flares. If anything, the M2 looks more sleek.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1M is a very attractive car overall with its only real weak area being its front view. I think its a great car but I also think the M2 is an overall more attractive and contemporary design notwithstanding the rear end where I do agree the 1M is better executed.

But, as I said, looks are subjective and everyone will have a different take.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 11-30-2015 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #80
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:

Looks are subjective

I think the front of the 1M is poorly executed... especially the lights. I was not a fan of the front from the very beginning. It's better in person but mainly because the wide fenders draw my eyes away from the awkward front. I find the 1M looks great from the rear (mainly due to the fender flares) but looks old and dated in the front.

Couple of other observations... not sure how you see the 1M lights being more compact than the M2... they look much larger to me (front anyway). Also, you mention the M2 looks less wide and more upright... in my eyes, the M2 looks wider and lower. The roof line is lower and the overall body of the car is generally wider... the only area the 1M shows its width is the fender flares. If anything, the M2 looks more sleek.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1M is a very attractive car overall with its only real weak area being its front view. I think its a great car but I also think the M2 is an overall more attractive and contemporary design notwithstanding the rear end where I do agree the 1M is better executed.

here's what I mean. The M2's lights actually take up more surface area than the 1M's lights except they are angulated and running down the side of the front fender---a very common design theme these days. The 1M's headlights are more upright like in old school BMWs especially such as the E46 which inspired the E8X 1er greatly. I'm a fan of old school BMW design rather than the more fussy modern design language----but you are totally right all of this is subjective! I personally think the 1M is the best looking M car since the E30 M3. I think a lot of 'style preference' depends on whether one likes more 'old school' design or likes more 'modern' design.....really a huge part of styling preference, IMO.

the 1M is very clean looking compared to the M2. It has very definite lines whereas the M2 is very cross pollinated---a matter of taste. look at the headlights and the overall contours present...
Attached Images

Last edited by IEDEI; 11-30-2015 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #81
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Cant wait to see the M2 in person. So far, I prefer the 1M though am a bit biased! The front on the M2 looks over done in comparison to the rest of the car. I also am not sure about the fender flares, kind of reminds me of a pontiac gto! I do agree it looks more modern than the 1M. Sure it will sell well but I certainly would not trade the 1M for it.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #82
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

The M2 has its ears back so I guess Cesar Millan would say the 1M is dominant
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #83
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Take a look from what they started with, then add in M4 suspension and bracing, wheels, body panels, exhaust, optional DCT.
if weight is a concern, go with the manual, weighs less than DCT.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #84
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

Quote:
good call, man!!!

what are you selling from your amazing stable to get the M2? or adding it?
I will sell my CLA 45 AMG, I love the car, but I miss having a manual transmission. I would take 3 pedals any day over a dual clutch.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #85
Rennsport3.2
Judge Hank "The Hangman" BMW
Rep
Drives: Sweet BMX bike w/ mags & pegs

Family photos always make me get all emotional.

Amazed at how similar both cars look overall. They both look great.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #86
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
Only in the US it seems. EU weight is exactly the same between the cars (and also measured using the same standard).

Given that the difference is pretty much 75kg, I think the current stated US weight simply includes the EU-style 75kg driver as well, while the 1M US weight doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #87
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Looks are subjective

I agree 100%

I have never been a fan of the e8x front end, I think it looks like a poorly executed mix between an e9x and e46. TBH in general the e8x is not an attractive car IMO, the headlights are overly large in comparison to the kidney grills, the roofline is too high with respect to the width of the car and the c-pillar too upright. The 1M looks "cool" because of it's awesome fender flares, but it's still not what I'd consider to be a "good-looking" car.

The M2 looks much better overall in my opinion, despite the fugly rear end and that over styled front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #88
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Can someone explain how the M2 w/manual is so much faster than the M1 from 0-60?

Assuming we are going by the numbers BMW put out, the M2 has the same amount of torque (over boost included) as the M1 and only 30 more horsepower and the M2 weighs more. Yet its .3 seconds quicker to 60mph? That's a pretty significant time difference for more weight and a small horsepower difference.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0