BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Boost dump

09-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Boost dump

so my car is in the tuners getting a custom map, but mid to high rpm its dumping boost. The ecu is still requesting the boost target and the turbo is trying to hit the target. The car has been pressure tested and no leaks anywhere Obvious. my tuner said it sounds as if the dv+ is opening and dumping boost so he has ordered a turbosmart unit to try.

The problem seems to get worse as the engine gets hotter. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited by boldy1; 09-29-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
so my car is in the tuners getting a custom map, but mid to high rpm its dumping boost. The ecu is still asking but the and the turbo is trying to hit the target. The car has been pressure tested and no leaks anywhere Obvious. my tuner said it sounds as if the dv+ is opening and dumping boost so he has ordered a turbosmart unit to try.

The problem seems to get worse as the engine gets hotter. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I don't have any hard evidence, but this is not the first report of the stock DV fluttering or otherwise failing to hold the requested boost.

Both the turbo smart and GFB diverter valves seem to have fixed this issue for other people. I'm likely going to keep my stock DV until I get my tune, but this is an issue I plan to address down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
I don't have any hard evidence, but this is not the first report of the stock DV fluttering or otherwise failing to hold the requested boost.

Both the turbo smart and GFB diverter valves seem to have fixed this issue for other people. I'm likely going to keep my stock DV until I get my tune, but this is an issue I plan to address down the road.
I'm running a gfb dv+ and a tte550. The gfb is less than 1500 miles old.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
so my car is in the tuners getting a custom map, but mid to high rpm its dumping boost. The ecu is still requesting the boost target and the turbo is trying to hit the target. The car has been pressure tested and no leaks anywhere Obvious. my tuner said it sounds as if the dv+ is opening and dumping boost so he has ordered a turbosmart unit to try.

1) What tune?

2) How is your ignition timing?

3) did you check for fault codes with ISTA?

4) It shouldn't be possible for the DV+ to open unless the factory solenoid pulls the plunger, because the way the piston is desgined it transfers boost to the back side which has a larger surface area, so the higher the boost the harder it is to push the piston open to dump said boost. I personally went with the GFB unit over the turbo smart for a variety of reasons. But I do not think it is the diverter valve's fault unless the install was botched, or your solenoid was buggy.
      09-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
1) What tune?

2) How is your ignition timing?

3) did you check for fault codes with ISTA?

4) It shouldn't be possible for the DV+ to open unless the factory solenoid pulls the plunger, because the way the piston is desgined it transfers boost to the back side which has a larger surface area, so the higher the boost the harder it is to push the piston open to dump said boost. I personally went with the GFB unit over the turbo smart for a variety of reasons. But I do not think it is the diverter valve's fault unless the install was botched, or your solenoid was buggy.
1)ecutek tune its on the base map at the moment the tuner can't adjust as the problem is still there
2)I asked the question and their good i haven't got a log as its still at the tuners.
3)I really would hope he has but I will check tomorrow when the garage is open.
4)the botched install has crossed my mind. As has the solenoid. I don't think it is the dv+ either and it is my preferred choice over the turbo smart. I was getting a bit of flutter mind with the dv+ but no boost dumping.

Its odd as it only does it once it warms up. On my last tune I didnt experience it.

So in your opinion which one do you think? Or could there be a boost leak that could cause it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

When you changed the turbo did they dial in the wastegate actuator with ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
This could be it too.

Quote:
1)ecutek tune its on the base map at the moment the tuner can't adjust as the problem is still there
2)I asked the question and their good i haven't got a log as its still at the tuners.
3)I really would hope he has but I will check tomorrow when the garage is open.
4)the botched install has crossed my mind. As has the solenoid. I don't think it is the dv+ either and it is my preferred choice over the turbo smart. I was getting a bit of flutter mind with the dv+ but no boost dumping.

Its odd as it only does it once it warms up. On my last tune I didnt experience it.

So in your opinion which one do you think? Or could there be a boost leak that could cause it
Did you guys remember to use all of the O-rings on the charge pipes? It's hard for me to put my finger on it if I didn't do the work on the car, haven't seen the logs, and haven't seen the ISTA diagnostics.
      09-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #8
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe so I did ask the garage to check
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #9
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This could be it too.

Did you guys remember to use all of the O-rings on the charge pipes? It's hard for me to put my finger on it if I didn't do the work on the car, haven't seen the logs, and haven't seen the ISTA diagnostics.
I belive they have checked all the o rings I will check about the ista and logs later. The garage doing the map isn't the garage that done the work
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

If the wastegate is acting properly I would pull the DV and see if it's assembled correctly. Did they replace the mainspring that came with the DV+?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If the wastegate is acting properly I would pull the DV and see if it's assembled correctly. Did they replace the mainspring that came with the DV+?
Even if the main spring was not installed that should not make any difference because it would just make the DV+ act like a stock but stronger diverter valve.

The important spring is the plunger spring, if that is excluded the valve would dump boost non-stop because the plunger would not be able to seal the valve when the solenoid's magnetic force is turned off. If the wrong plunger spring was used, i.e. the stock spring, then the plunger would not be able to open as the spring is too stiff and long for the magnetic force from the solenoid to over come and pull the plunger open, and you would get compressor surge.

So the only 4 probable causes for a boost dump to be caused by the DV+ are:

1) No plunger spring was installed
2) Damaged solenoid or DV+
3) Missing O-rings
4) Improper install

And since OP says it gets worse when the car gets warmer I am going to say it is not the diverter valve, especially since the stock solenoid is so durable I have never seen one fail, and because the GFB DV+ is so simple (orientation doesn't even matter as the plunger side is symmetrical so you don't even have to align it like the stock diverter valve with the alignment pin) I have hard time seeing someone install it wrong.
      09-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Even if the main spring was not installed that should not make any difference because it would just make the DV+ act like a stock but stronger diverter valve.

The important spring is the plunger spring, if that is excluded the valve would dump boost non-stop because the plunger would not be able to seal the valve when the solenoid's magnetic force is turned off. If the wrong plunger spring was used, i.e. the stock spring, then the plunger would not be able to open as the spring is too stiff and long for the magnetic force from the solenoid to over come and pull the plunger open, and you would get compressor surge.

So the only 4 probable causes for a boost dump to be caused by the DV+ are:

1) No plunger spring was installed
2) Damaged solenoid or DV+
3) Missing O-rings
4) Improper install

And since OP says it gets worse when the car gets warmer I am going to say it is not the diverter valve, especially since the stock solenoid is so durable I have never seen one fail, and because the GFB DV+ is so simple (orientation doesn't even matter as the plunger side is symmetrical so you don't even have to align it like the stock diverter valve with the alignment pin) I have hard time seeing someone install it wrong.
Diverter valve was installed correctly the tuner isn't using ista but different software and there are no codes present.

I think i got it wrong with my expansion and got it arse backwards i belive the boost is pushing the valve shut and dumping boost after. Mybnew valve will be on the car in the morning and the tuner said he's fairly positive that is the problem. I'm not convinced its the Diverter valve
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Diverter valve was installed correctly the tuner isn't using ista but different software and there are no codes present.

I think i got it wrong with my expansion and got it arse backwards i belive the boost is pushing the valve shut and dumping boost after. Mybnew valve will be on the car in the morning and the tuner said he's fairly positive that is the problem. I'm not convinced its the Diverter valve
Imo if it's not ista it's useless, generic odb2 scanners can get the standard p0 codes from obd2 system but they will not get the full set of codes that only ista can display and expand upon. Even with more advanced hand held tablets shops will generally use, those things cannot run the full set of diagnostics and testing procedures ista can run so me personally I would want it scanned via ista.

If boost is pushing the valve shut and dumping it after that is exactly how the valve should be behaving, so it shouldn't be the diverter valve. So you might be wasting your money getting a turbo smart valve.

Also when you leak tested the system how was that done? Was there a smoke test as well? Also it's really weird that it dynos boost when it's hot, it makes me think that when the car gets hot it might be pulling timing or something and as a result it cannot make power and must dump boost.
      10-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #14
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Did going to the turbosmart solve your issue?

Slightly off topic but according to Pure Turbos and their testing they are seeing 10-20% lower duty cycle with the turbosmart over the GFB DV+

Might open some more room for power or just create an overall more efficient system.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Did going to the turbosmart solve your issue?

Slightly off topic but according to Pure Turbos and their testing they are seeing 10-20% lower duty cycle with the turbosmart over the GFB DV+

Might open some more room for power or just create an overall more efficient system.
The turbo failed on the car during a road test . Shaft snapped clean in half
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's rough op, hope you guys get that sorted out.

If you want the cheapest possible solution and if your exhaust housing is ok you could get a stage 1 turbo. There was also alot of stock stage 1 section aka everything but the exhaust housing for sale here for really cheap too if you're interested.
      10-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #17
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's rough op, hope you guys get that sorted out.

If you want the cheapest possible solution and if your exhaust housing is ok you could get a stage 1 turbo. There was also alot of stock stage 1 section aka everything but the exhaust housing for sale here for really cheap too if you're interested.
Thanks bud, I got the Turbo off the car and sent to Germany the same day and in all Fairness TTE are rebuilding it for me on warranty even tho they have never seen this faliure on one of there turbos and their not sure it is a warranty issue. I will have the turbo back and on the car next week.

Hopefully it will be all good then
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:55 AM   #18
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, glad you’re getting sorted fairly quick though.

Are you still looking to go to a full frame kit in the future?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #19
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Sorry to hear that, glad you’re getting sorted fairly quick though.

Are you still looking to go to a full frame kit in the future?
Thanks bud.Very soon it should be ready next month 🤞If its ready before I get the tte on I will have a fleshly built turbo up for sale
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #20
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

New turbo is back and installed, waiting for a fire ring from BMW then hopefully all will be well
Appreciate 0