BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M4 GTS MDM

04-21-2020, 02:49 AM   #67
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It sounds like CS is newer, so maybe it’s been refined further than GTS? No idea.

Also, I tried F87CS steering back in 2018 and didn’t care for it much: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=20 Do you think it’s been changed/updated since then?
I personally didn't like the gts steering feel, to me it felt like the typical bmw EPS settings where they think sporty=heavy. So the gts steering setting felt overly heavy and that meant when you were turning it feels like the wheel is fighting you to get back to center which I hate. This also makes the center of the wheel feel dead or numb.

F87CS feels the most natural and doesn't have the dead spot in the middle or center seeking feeling at all times, but I do wish it was 15-25% heavier.
Which ISTEP were you on when you tried the gts eps option?
It's by far my favourite and the most realistic now, even more so that the Cs (based on the march 19 ISTEP).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:52 AM   #68
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I’ve not tried F87_CS, only F87_GTS, but F87_GTS is great.
It sounds like CS is newer, so maybe it’s been refined further than GTS? No idea.

Also, I tried F87CS steering back in 2018 and didn’t care for it much: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=20 Do you think it’s been changed/updated since then?
Yep for sure - there were big steering improvements early 2019
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:27 AM   #69
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Which ISTEP were you on when you tried the gts eps option?
It's by far my favourite and the most realistic now, even more so that the Cs (based on the march 19 ISTEP).
I have the newest Istep possible iirc. It is F020 19-07-539. I just do not like the gts steering at all, it is artificially heavy and makes the car feel like it is fighting you for every steering input, and always wants to return to center. The cs imo is much better, it is abit light, I wish it was maybe 15% heavier, but the overall feel is alot better.

I'm going to do some coding this summer to test f87 gts mdm and I will probably try out gts steering again to see if my opinions have changed.

I forgot to add: when driving spiritedly or on a tight track with quick and frequent direction changes I prefer a lighter wheel, it lowers fatigue and imo having to exert less force allows for finer motor controls which results in better steering inputs. Same thing with a hockey stick or badminton racket imo, I prefer light weight composite hockey sticks (bauer vapor line up) because my stick handling is faster, more controlled, and since i'm not fighting a heavy stick it allows for more wrist endurance allowing for better puck handling over time and a faster release. For badminton I still prefer the yonex nanospeed series since they are really light and allows me to get quick movements fine plays in around the net.

So essentially my philosophy is less effort = more control. (of course no so light that you loose all feedback)

Last edited by F87source; 04-21-2020 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #70
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassr View Post
I have not updated my ISTEP in 18 months but I did turn on full screen CarPlay since then. I cannot imagine the CarPlay update changed anything related to my DSC module.

I can see the f87gts option under 4.31.32 of psdzdata. Which version of psdzdata are you using with e-sys?
Just checked and I have psdzdata 4.16.40, which was the version relevant to my ISTEP.

TBH, I would rather have the psdzdata and ISTEP in sync, otherwise there could be options displayed in Esys (e.g. F87gts) that the car doesn't have the programming for. Not sure if it does work this way, but it makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #71
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
No, I didn't try that, actually wasn't aware that it was a change that I could make. Things seem great as is though, so I don't have a mad desire to go and test it.

I did a full I-Step update to prepare for Full Screen CarPlay a few months back, October to be precise. I went from F020 17-11-530 (NBTevo M), which I think is what I was updated to shortly after buying the car because of the LCI dash recall, to F020 19-07-539 (NBTevo R) for FullScreen CarPlay compatibility. I think that was the latest at the time.

Looking back on my notes from that time, it took 49 minutes for the update to complete.
Hi.

I tested the GHAS in F82GTS mode today. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but what a great result from 10 mins of tinkering!

Any hint of understeer is completely gone and the car feels much sharper into turns. When going around a bend, the car's line can now be tightened purely with the throttle - I guess that the LSD is now putting more torque to the outside wheel, which is then pushing the car around the corner much more sharply (but only when asked, not in a scary way).

This is based on Sport+ in the dry - I expect that running in Sport+ with GTS GHAS in the wet would make the rear feel much more edgy for sure, but I always drive in Sport in the wet which I expect will still be ok).

Honestly, it feels brilliant and is a great improvement - definitely recommended!!!

There are two settings that can be changed - I did them both.

WT
Attached Images

Last edited by widetyres; 04-26-2020 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      06-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #72
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Question on specific MDM field for M2C:

Thanks guys for this thread and the GTS coding thread. I hadn't coded since my F80 (last was 2017) so I got back on the horse tonight and coded GTS steering and the Diff settings. However, being an M2c I wasn't able to find the files to code GTS MDM.

In the DSC module I could not find:

C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e (C variant vehicles)

and I see where OG coders state it's a different value for M2c.

So, does anyone know the specific value field to search for on the M2c? Possibly similar to the F80 value? I'll go back through Esys tomorrow and see if I can find it if no one knows. Cheers
Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      06-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #73
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Hi.

I tested the GHAS in F82GTS mode today. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but what a great result from 10 mins of tinkering!

Any hint of understeer is completely gone and the car feels much sharper into turns. When going around a bend, the car's line can now be tightened purely with the throttle - I guess that the LSD is now putting more torque to the outside wheel, which is then pushing the car around the corner much more sharply (but only when asked, not in a scary way).

This is based on Sport+ in the dry - I expect that running in Sport+ with GTS GHAS in the wet would make the rear feel much more edgy for sure, but I always drive in Sport in the wet which I expect will still be ok).

Honestly, it feels brilliant and is a great improvement - definitely recommended!!!

There are two settings that can be changed - I did them both.

WT
I forgot to get back to you but I coded gts diff and so far the rear does feel more agressive. I have not gotten much seat time so I haven't gotten much feedback yet.
      06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #74
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

How do you make the carplay full screen?

I obviously have a Euro car, last year I asked
My dealer to do an update and the MDM and sport + mode offer easily manageable drifts and are much less intrusive, however having the car for over 3 years I tend to go full DSC off and just go full send now I have to admit once you learn to go sideways without DSC it's hard to go back to using DSC

Drifting at low speeds with SC2 Tires and DSC off is bundles of fun
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #75
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Question on specific MDM field for M2C:

Thanks guys for this thread and the GTS coding thread. I hadn't coded since my F80 (last was 2017) so I got back on the horse tonight and coded GTS steering and the Diff settings. However, being an M2c I wasn't able to find the files to code GTS MDM.

In the DSC module I could not find:

C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e (C variant vehicles)

and I see where OG coders state it's a different value for M2c.

So, does anyone know the specific value field to search for on the M2c? Possibly similar to the F80 value? I'll go back through Esys tomorrow and see if I can find it if no one knows. Cheers
GTS MDM coded for M2C, still need to test drive it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      06-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #76
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Keep us updated!
      06-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #77
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Nice! Keep us updated!
Will do, also coded forum member Megator's M2c yesterday (GTS: steering-Diff-MDM).

I've driven it once and the GTS steering is definitely lighter. Need a more hoon drive or track day to check out the diff and MDM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:02 AM   #78
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Will do, also coded forum member Megator's M2c yesterday (GTS: steering-Diff-MDM).

I've driven it once and the GTS steering is definitely lighter. Need a more hoon drive or track day to check out the diff and MDM.
Diff seems more aggressive but I only took one corner in anger.

GTS steering feels like a hydro setup. Kinda easy around the middle and it gets weightier as you pile on the lock, also less self centering (not sure if this will help with the drifting haha).

Tuesday I hit the track and will report back.
nlebi43.50
      07-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #79
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

After several months of living with M4 GTS DSC and Euro MDM, I’m not quite content with them overall.

I’m curious if others are experiencing super early intervention (throttle cut, and perhaps some brake intervention) in normal and sport modes on the M4 GTS DSC with Euro MDM coding? On clover leaf freeway interchanges and other fairly wide radius turns, it’s shutting things down at a pace that would be reasonable/comfortable with your grandparents in the back of an SUV or minivan.

Sport+ and Traction modes (where MDM is active) on the other hand, are fantastic on the track and actually are usable, unlike stock.

The above has been true with both square and staggered wheel/tire combos. I installed Ohlins R&T coilovers, front torque arm bushings, and rear toe links at roughly the same time as coding the car, so not sure if these are contributing factors. I had camber plates already and alignment is only slightly more aggressive than before.

So I don’t really want to switch back to stock coding since the car sees a fair bit of track time, and I’m pretty happy with things there. I also prefer Sport for back roads and general street use. For unfamiliar tracks, rainy days, and the track closest to home lacking safe runoffs, I don’t want to commit to DSC off full time, either.

I’ve seen some are using F87CS with Euro MDM. Can anyone weigh in on whether this will keep the track manners I like in Sport Plus and Traction, while making Sport and Normal less restrictive?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/experiences.
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      07-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #80
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I also gave up on Euro and M4 GTS MDM. Intervention was either too early (Euro) or wonky at times (M4 GTS).

I tried F87CS a couple years ago and didn’t care for the steering that came with it, but I must have had an early version of it bc I’m now using the recommended Dynamics settings in the THOR app, which are essentially M2C/F87CS coding and I’m much happier with the steering and more importantly, MDM.

FWIW, the THOR DCT programming is much better than OE, as well, so if you are DCT, you may opt to get both packages for easy flashing.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      07-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #81
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also gave up on Euro and M4 GTS MDM. Intervention was either too early (Euro) or wonky at times (M4 GTS).

I tried F87CS a couple years ago and didn’t care for the steering that came with it, but I must have had an early version of it bc I’m now using the recommended Dynamics settings in the THOR app, which are essentially M2C/F87CS coding and I’m much happier with the steering and more importantly, MDM.

FWIW, the THOR DCT programming is much better than OE, as well, so if you are DCT, you may opt to get both packages for easy flashing.
Thanks for the info on your experiences. Thor is tempting since it appears to be pretty user friendly and your thoughts on it being better than what you could achieve with OE options is especially interesting. I paid a local guy to code my car and while his pricing is reasonable, experimenting with options would be inconvenient.

Interesting comment on the steering for F87CS- I didn’t realize it would change with the DSC/MDM coding.

My M2 is a manual, so no DCT coding to worry about.

I’ll have to take another look at Thor.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #82
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Thanks for the info on your experiences. Thor is tempting since it appears to be pretty user friendly and your thoughts on it being better than what you could achieve with OE options is especially interesting. I paid a local guy to code my car and while his pricing is reasonable, experimenting with options would be inconvenient.

Interesting comment on the steering for F87CS- I didn’t realize it would change with the DSC/MDM coding.

My M2 is a manual, so no DCT coding to worry about.

I’ll have to take another look at Thor.

Thanks again!
The steering doesn’t change with the MDM coding. I was just commenting that I like F87CS steering and MDM.

If you’re 6MT and can get F87CS coding done semi-easily, no need for THOR.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      07-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #83
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The steering doesn’t change with the MDM coding. I was just commenting that I like F87CS steering and MDM.

If you’re 6MT and can get F87CS coding done semi-easily, no need for THOR.
Got it. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      10-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #84
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Do you guys recommend changing M2C EPS to M4GTS? I have a July 18 I-Level on my M2C, which is prior to BMW changing the feel in some '19 I-Level update, as I've heard.

I don't really get the front wheel traction feel through the wheel 100%. I track the car in comfort steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #85
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
Do you guys recommend changing M2C EPS to M4GTS? I have a July 18 I-Level on my M2C, which is prior to BMW changing the feel in some '19 I-Level update, as I've heard.

I don't really get the front wheel traction feel through the wheel 100%. I track the car in comfort steering.
Not sure what you mean by your last comment but GTS traction simply allows a bit more slip (in MDM mode) before it starts applying brakes and then cutting power.

I personally found the GTS diff software the best of the GTS SW mods followed by the steering.