BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 stage 1 91 vs 93

10-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #23
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Are you getting knock too (as per WT's comment just above) with OTS stg2 93 Octane ?

I'm not seeing any knock with SVP99 cw stg2 OTS 93Oct....
As above Dave, V-power was working as it should on 93 stage 2 OTS with me too.

Could be fuel quality issues across the country, petrol stations are quieter and fuel is sitting for longer.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1736.00
      10-06-2020, 05:42 AM   #24
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Thanks for widetires help (don't know how to tag/mention lol),
I've done 3 runs, I didn't quite understand if the pulls should be low end rpm 4th gear to 5th or full 3rd to 4th to 5th so I've done a few variations just in case so one of them would be right
1: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...0b43235592accd
2: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...90c62ce094df5b
3: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...729b7e7058d815
From all the logs I've seen I think and hope I used all the correct things but if I'm missing something please do tell and when I can all go out and do a couple more run (damn lockdown).
Thanks a lot for all the helpers!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #25
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
As above Dave, V-power was working as it should on 93 stage 2 OTS with me too.

Could be fuel quality issues across the country, petrol stations are quieter and fuel is sitting for longer.
Agree - hence why I've stopped using race gas OTS map too for the time being - just in case
      10-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #26
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Thanks for widetires help (don't know how to tag/mention lol),
I've done 3 runs, I didn't quite understand if the pulls should be low end rpm 4th gear to 5th or full 3rd to 4th to 5th so I've done a few variations just in case so one of them would be right
1: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...0b43235592accd
2: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...90c62ce094df5b
3: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f7b...729b7e7058d815
From all the logs I've seen I think and hope I used all the correct things but if I'm missing something please do tell and when I can all go out and do a couple more run (damn lockdown).
Thanks a lot for all the helpers!!!
Looks like you're missing boost target consisently maybe due to timing pulls on Cyl 1 and 3 - which appear most noticeably on yr 3rd gear WOT pulls. To confirm, you are doing these WOT logs with DSC fully off ?

When were plugs changed or at least gaps checked ?
      10-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #27
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you're missing boost target consisently maybe due to timing pulls on Cyl 1 and 3 - which appear most noticeably on yr 3rd gear WOT pulls. To confirm, you are doing these WOT logs with DSC fully off ?

When were plugs changed or at least gaps checked ?
I did the runs on sport+ so I'll do a few more runs with DSC off and should I do the pulls in low 4th to 5th or 3rd to 4th to 5th ? I'm not quite sure.
And regarding the spark plugs I went to check the service history and someone threw it (printed copy no worries) but I don't recall they ever got changed/gapped at least not in the 1 year I've owned the car and from what I remember, the car is now 3 years old and has 38K km (23.6k miles) which isn't that close to when it needs to get a changed and I'm just in need for a service so I can just change them/check the gaps.
Other than that does anything seems odd ? And in your opinion should I change/check them first or do a couple of runs with DSC off and check the logs ?
Really appreciate the help!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:05 AM   #28
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did the runs on sport+ so I'll do a few more runs with DSC off and should I do the pulls in low 4th to 5th or 3rd to 4th to 5th ? I'm not quite sure.
And regarding the spark plugs I went to check the service history and someone threw it (printed copy no worries) but I don't recall they ever got changed/gapped at least not in the 1 year I've owned the car and from what I remember, the car is now 3 years old and has 38K km (23.6k miles) which isn't that close to when it needs to get a changed and I'm just in need for a service so I can just change them/check the gaps.
Other than that does anything seems odd ? And in your opinion should I change/check them first or do a couple of runs with DSC off and check the logs ?
Really appreciate the help!!
Yes doing some more logging runs in DSC off is a good idea IMHO before starting to make changes/spending time/cash.

Data logging with DSC off WOT pulls from below 2k rpm to redline in 3rd and then all the way to the top of 4th is fine in terms of gathering meaningful data.

Also, to check if plugs are causing the timing pulls, you can always swap suspect plug(s) from cyl x to cyl y and then data log some more to see if timing pulls stay with the plug or stay with the cyl , latter implying a potential rogue coil pack. If so, repeat by moving suspect colipack to another cyl to see if timing drop moves to new cyl or not.
      10-07-2020, 02:20 AM   #29
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Put another way, are there significant advantages to running the higher octane tunes but incurring knock Vs running the lower octane tunes with still really good fuel?
Are you getting knock too (as per WT's comment just above) with OTS stg2 93 Octane ?

I'm not seeing any knock with SVP99 cw stg2 OTS 93Oct....
I don't get any recorded knocks with the 93 map (with svp) , but I do get timing retardation.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:38 AM   #30
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Out of interest to do these logs you're doing kind of crazy speeds to redline second let alone third and fourth?! Or am I missing something .
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #31
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Yes doing some more logging runs in DSC off is a good idea IMHO before starting to make changes/spending time/cash.

Data logging with DSC off WOT pulls from below 2k rpm to redline in 3rd and then all the way to the top of 4th is fine in terms of gathering meaningful data.

Also, to check if plugs are causing the timing pulls, you can always swap suspect plug(s) from cyl x to cyl y and then data log some more to see if timing pulls stay with the plug or stay with the cyl , latter implying a potential rogue coil pack. If so, repeat by moving suspect colipack to another cyl to see if timing drop moves to new cyl or not.
I'm not quite sure I've got a spark plug socket but if I do I'll change 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 and do the logs, but if I'll do it I'll write it down in the post after I'll log.
Thanks A LOT for the help and advise!, I'll probably do the logs tonight when I go to the supermarket lol

Quote:
Out of interest to do these logs you're doing kind of crazy speeds to redline second let alone third and fourth?! Or am I missing something .
Well it depends what you define as crazy speeds, ~220km/h (~130 miles/h) is undeniably fast but the car is built for it, it's done on empty roads and on a long straight road meaning you do it as safely as possible without taking too much risks and not putting others at risk.
I would never drive that fast while passing cars and without a barrier between upcoming traffic as it's not the most brilliant idea so safety precautions are taken
And why ? Because you want and have to check that your car is running properly so it won't get destroyed, mechanically speaking, so it's done by logging it (No one has a dyno at home unfortunately lol).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #32
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I've got a spark plug socket but if I do I'll change 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 and do the logs, but if I'll do it I'll write it down in the post after I'll log.
Thanks A LOT for the help and advise!, I'll probably do the logs tonight when I go to the supermarket lol

Well it depends what you define as crazy speeds, ~220km/h (~130 miles/h) is undeniably fast but the car is built for it, it's done on empty roads and on a long straight road meaning you do it as safely as possible without taking too much risks and not putting others at risk.
I would never drive that fast while passing cars and without a barrier between upcoming traffic as it's not the most brilliant idea so safety precautions are taken
And why ? Because you want and have to check that your car is running properly so it won't get destroyed, mechanically speaking, so it's done by logging it (No one has a dyno at home unfortunately lol).
I know the car is built for it, what I'm getting at is the nonchalant manner in which people say 'do logs' which could mean points on license if caught or worse?!

Why don't 2nd gear pulls suffice? Too much wheelspin?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #33
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

I could never do a 2'nd gear pull with my car. Way too much wheel spin. I don't even floor it in 3rd till I get up in rpm's and then it's gradual, not slammed. 4th is the best gear for me to dull a pull and log.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #34
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I know the car is built for it, what I'm getting at is the nonchalant manner in which people say 'do logs' which could mean points on license if caught or worse?!

DME has torque limiters embedded deep within its logic for 1st and 2nd gears. Datalogs could be less meaningful ie despite pedal being at 100% the throttle may lag and or not get to 100% given 2nd gear WOT pull will be short in terms of duration
      10-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #35
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

So that's why most dyno runs you see are 3rd gear an up also?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #36
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's because they want a 1:1 ratio and 4'th is pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #37
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DME has torque limiters embedded deep within its logic for 1st and 2nd gears. Datalogs could be less meaningful ie despite pedal being at 100% the throttle may lag and or not get to 100% given 2nd gear WOT pull will be short in terms of duration
DME doesn't limit torque in 1st and 2nd gears by default, thought it does have configurable map tables if you want to force a limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #38
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Makes sense
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #39
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense
I'm pretty certain that 1:1 is 5th gear for both manual and DCT so I don't think that's the reason for 4th gear for the logs.
Thou it still might be as 5th is in high speeds and people wouldn't want to go that fast for logs maybe.

FYI still stuck at home, yesterday there was too much traffic so once I'll be able to go out I'll do some pulls and upload the logs
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #40
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty certain that 1:1 is 5th gear for both manual and DCT so I don't think that's the reason for 4th gear for the logs.
Thou it still might be as 5th is in high speeds and people wouldn't want to go that fast for logs maybe.

FYI still stuck at home, yesterday there was too much traffic so once I'll be able to go out I'll do some pulls and upload the logs

I did 4'th gear logs because 5'th would have been too fast. A 4th gear pull on a DCT ends up a hair over 120 mph.
Appreciate 0