BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Q's about installing used M Performance Suspension. Please reply.

10-05-2020, 03:34 AM   #155
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
What setting are you running on your M-performance coilovers for the track and aggressive back roads?
If not read already - have read thru this thread on here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397743

FWIW my car's MPS damper settings (18" 245/265 MPSS/AD08RS tyres @ 31psi cold F&R)

Front axle
- Rebound 11 clicks open
- Compression 7 clicks open

Rear axle
- Rebound 8 clicks open
- Compression 6 clicks open

Dampers set harder in the rear than the front for 2 reasons:-

1. When assessing compression/suspension travel with all dampers set too full soft, MPS front springs are very firm. So, less bump dialled in as springs don't need as much support due to their stiffness. Conversely, less rebound to balance between enough weight transfer, limited body movement and optimising compliance to ensure tyre contact patch consistency.

2. FYI/awareness - my rear MPS bumpstops have been cutdown by ~ 10mm. BMW use bumpstops as secondary spring but effectively prohibit spring travel/damper stroke which, when c/w ride height, maybe sub-optimal, if expecting MPS to remain effective at managing tyre contact patch/compliance. This was the case with my car, in the rear it showed evidence of bumpstop contact. When dampers set too full soft, rear MPC spring rates are less than the front. Therefore, rear needs more support from the dampers ie higher bump setting and more rebound to re-settle springs quicker.

It works really well.

For trackdays - I tend to try the car as-is 1st then, if need be, increase rebound stiffness in 2 click increments F&R and gauge how the car feels - it does vary from track to track.

HTH,

BP
      10-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #156
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
If not read already - have read thru this thread on here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1397743

Quick unrelated question. I've hard tell of people modifying the rear of the MPS to make it go a bit lower, yet I can't find any of those threads. Have you heard of this, and if so, what exactly did they do?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #157
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, you 'could' just remove the adjuster and refit the upper spring cup while using the MPS spring. Alternatively, if you look closely at the spring perch that fits between the adjuster and the spring, you'll see it's two piece plastic/rubber, with the plastic having the same profile as the rubber that sits between it and the spring. So maybe try taking the rubber part out.

Buying the KW rear spring/helper might be a better bet though.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #158
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Well, you 'could' just remove the adjuster and refit the upper spring cup while using the MPS spring. Alternatively, if you look closely at the spring perch that fits between the adjuster and the spring, you'll see it's two piece plastic/rubber, with the plastic having the same profile as the rubber that sits between it and the spring. So maybe try taking the rubber part out.

Buying the KW rear spring/helper might be a better bet though.
All great ideas, thanks!

I think that once I get the proper sized wheel and tire combo (9.5/265 & 10.5/285) it'll appear a lot lower. I might have to raise it a bit honestly.
Appreciate 0