BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 stage 1 91 vs 93

09-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Ok so I've recently purchased a BM3 license and the OBD cable needs to arrive any day now (there is lockdown so it's kinda stuck) for my 2017 M2 N55 (changed bumpers it's not a comp).
I've read for days on the forum but I also wanted to hear your thoughts, I plan on putting the 93 octane as our 93 gas in my country is known to be good and every year they even test all the stations and publish which stations had lower RON than they advertised (you know not 98 and not 95 Ron, and it's a really small country ahah) so I do feel comfortable with that.
With that said I've read countless times that people encountered scenarios where even thought they were sure it's good fuel but when they pulled logs they had lots of timing/other issues (but BM3 were kind to give them 91 octane as the logs weren't good, is it in the policy or something ?) so it got me a bit worried lol.
Once I'll put the maps I will log and put the links here (because I'm learning everything alone and I need help ahah) but I do wish to hear your opinion on what you guys suggest on doing!
FYI, It's my first time modding a turbocharged car so I'm learning all the logs and everything in advance but if I do make mistakes please feel free to tell me as I'm here to learn!
Thanks in advance
And here's a photo of our garage (and there's an RSQ8 just haven't found the time to take a photo of all the cars together!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

That 911 is what dreams are made of.
      09-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Interested in this also. Wide tyres made a thread albeit more to do with stage two.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Start with the 93 map as you intend and if you get timing issues just pay the extra $50 bucks for the full map bundle and try the 91 map. It's pocket change for the extra maps, especially considering what's in your awesome garage :-)

I've done this on my OG N55. In Australia our 98 is probably a bit marginal for the 93 tune and to be honest, I can't fell any less power on the 91 version. Perhaps if I was to dyno it but on the street and track, it feels strong and smooth. And the timing logs are sweet on the 91 map (not so the 93) so I'm perfectly happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Start with the 93 map as you intend and if you get timing issues just pay the extra $50 bucks for the full map bundle and try the 91 map. It's pocket change for the extra maps, especially considering what's in your awesome garage :-)

I've done this on my OG N55. In Australia our 98 is probably a bit marginal for the 93 tune and to be honest, I can't fell any less power on the 91 version. Perhaps if I was to dyno it but on the street and track, it feels strong and smooth. And the timing logs are sweet on the 91 map (not so the 93) so I'm perfectly happy with it.
Yes that's what I've done a few hours ago!
So far it feels amazing, like the car is more alive, I've went with the custom burbles thou as I expected and seen it doesn't feel faster but there is so much traffic because the lockdown starts in a few hours so not a full experience
Hopefully I'll be able to log it soon but the lockdown supposed to be 3 weeks.. one I will I'll also post the logs here as I've just learnt everything so i need some help with that!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #6
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
Sure is! Funny thing is it's my moms car lol so maybe I'll buy it from her in 2 years it's soooooo good but mods are forbidden in my country for Porsche as if voids the life time warranty (2000 euros a year) so i don't know it pulls me back a bit lol
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      09-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Yes that's what I've done a few hours ago!
So far it feels amazing, like the car is more alive, I've went with the custom burbles thou as I expected and seen it doesn't feel faster but there is so much traffic because the lockdown starts in a few hours so not a full experience
Hopefully I'll be able to log it soon but the lockdown supposed to be 3 weeks.. one I will I'll also post the logs here as I've just learnt everything so i need some help with that!
Lovely garage! :-)

Do check your logs - I found BM3 Stage 1 93 in the UK (using Shell V-Power) to knock a lot (e.g. 25 recorded knocks in <10 mins), which is really bad. The 91 maps (IME with both Stage 1 and 2) will be better if you are not achieving stable timing.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sure is! Funny thing is it's my moms car lol so maybe I'll buy it from her in 2 years it's soooooo good but mods are forbidden in my country for Porsche as if voids the life time warranty (2000 euros a year) so i don't know it pulls me back a bit lol
It's perfect as is, but it's neat to know they offer a lifetime warranty. I would drive the wheels off it.
      09-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post

Do check your logs - I found BM3 Stage 1 93 in the UK (using Shell V-Power) to knock a lot (e.g. 25 recorded knocks in <10 mins), which is really bad. The 91 maps (IME with both Stage 1 and 2) will be better if you are not achieving stable timing.
Sorry if this is a bit off topic - do you have any logs saved from stock and stage 1 that you could share? I've been looking for some logs to compare how my 235 behaves with the M2 (stage 0+) tune relative to a stock M2 and a stage 1 tuned M2. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:

Yes it's the first thing I'm gonna do when I see I can go out and drive, from everything I've read i know I need to log when I do a few 4th to 5th pulls, so you've done it a couple of times or you've logged for some X amount of time ?
I have read a few threads about the V shell in the UK when I did research before I tuned, so I'm not worried about switching to the 91 as most people said it's mostly the same in the feeling.
Thanks for the help!

Quote:
It's perfect as is, but it's neat to know they offer a lifetime warranty. I would drive the wheels off it.
It's perfect but it's hard to replace the M2 as I also got it as a practical car in a sense as it's my daily, but other than the practicality the 911 is better in any way possible! The feeling is amazing and the steering communication is soooo good, it's even comfortable which amazes me with how well it rides when you think about the fact it's a sports car! So I'm waiting to see the next gen M2 to decide (or a used new M3/4 if I'll like them lol
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Honestly - how is the 911 as a family car? Could you realistically put someone in the back seat? I know this is an M2 thread - I love the car...but it's a 911 we are talking about.
      09-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Put another way, are there significant advantages to running the higher octane tunes but incurring knock Vs running the lower octane tunes with still really good fuel?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Put another way, are there significant advantages to running the higher octane tunes but incurring knock Vs running the lower octane tunes with still really good fuel?
You're MUCH better off running a lower octane map with better gas than a higher octane map while incurring knock.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      09-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Honestly - how is the 911 as a family car? Could you realistically put someone in the back seat? I know this is an M2 thread - I love the car...but it's a 911 we are talking about.
It depends on what stage you are with your family, with children it's great! With big people it's horrible lol
Behind the driver sit only a child can sit (as I'm 1.81 cm/about 5'9 or 6 feet) but behind the passenger with the passenger not too close to the dash (without touching the dash) someone who's 1.65 and shorter can sit normally which is nice!
When it comes to comfort it's sporty but comfortable sporty, even my mother who came from a Panamera says it's comfortable!
Storage is quite ok, nice frunk and when you fold the rear seats you have quite a lot of space back there (but you can only put things from the inside so it is limiting).

Quote:
I think I know the correct answer but I'm not quite sure so I rather wait for someone else lol but you should always avoid knocks!
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      09-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Just seems like some are hammering square pegs into round holes.

Just drop the tune down a notch for increased safety/reliability. Probably not much in it anyway and wouldn't be noticed away from the dyno?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It depends on what stage you are with your family, with children it's great! With big people it's horrible lol
Behind the driver sit only a child can sit (as I'm 1.81 cm/about 5'9 or 6 feet) but behind the passenger with the passenger not too close to the dash (without touching the dash) someone who's 1.65 and shorter can sit normally which is nice!
When it comes to comfort it's sporty but comfortable sporty, even my mother who came from a Panamera says it's comfortable!
Storage is quite ok, nice frunk and when you fold the rear seats you have quite a lot of space back there (but you can only put things from the inside so it is limiting).

I think I know the correct answer but I'm not quite sure so I rather wait for someone else lol but you should always avoid knocks!
AWESOME! Thank you for the review and thoughts - one day!
      09-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #17
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I'm sure you have heard about power loss due to high iats? It's similar with octane in that if the tune is trying to advance timing beyond what the fuels octane can support, then the engine will have to back off to avoid knock. Backing off timing costs you power. If this were the case, it would be better to run a 91 map even if the fuel is marketed as 93.

My recent bm3 vs mhd threadd demonstrates this in terms of dyno plot and logs.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      09-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #18
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I'm sure you have heard about power loss due to high iats? It's similar with octane in that if the tune is trying to advance timing beyond what the fuels octane can support, then the engine will have to back off to avoid knock. Backing off timing costs you power. If this were the case, it would be better to run a 91 map even if the fuel is marketed as 93.

My recent bm3 vs mhd threadd demonstrates this in terms of dyno plot and logs.
Cheers will bear this in mind!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #19
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Here is my experience with Stg2 91/95 v5.7 OTS map with 98 octane fuel. It pulls quite well all the way to redline, better up top than with 93/98 OTS map from my previous experience.
5th gear runs, 362 WHP and 639 Nm.
Dyno: V-tech VT-2 (measured 8.3% loss)
Attached Images

10-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Hi, so I managed to do a few runs during the lockdown to log the car but unfortunately I don't know how to upload the files here as they are in Excel when I download them.
I need your help as I'm learning to read logs and want to know if weather I should move to 91 octane map or the gas over here is really a 93 octane lol.
So am I supposed to upload them as is or using a different format ?
Thanks for all the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:10 AM   #21
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi, so I managed to do a few runs during the lockdown to log the car but unfortunately I don't know how to upload the files here as they are in Excel when I download them.
I need your help as I'm learning to read logs and want to know if weather I should move to 91 octane map or the gas over here is really a 93 octane lol.
So am I supposed to upload them as is or using a different format ?
Thanks for all the help in advance!
You should be able to share the url for the bm3 chart - they are viewable to anyone that has the link.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #22
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Are you getting knock too (as per WT's comment just above) with OTS stg2 93 Octane ?

I'm not seeing any knock with SVP99 cw stg2 OTS 93Oct....