BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode topics

04-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #2421
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
New to "coding" a BMW, but figured it shouldn't be that different from Jailbreaking an iPhone.

Long story short: need a recommendation for a connector for bimmercode to use with my Pixel 4 and m2c. Tried all my K+DCAN cables (that I know work because the car was tuned with them), no dice. Tried the VEEPEAK bluetooth recommendation from bimmercode and was not able to connect via bluetooth. Not sure if it's a Pixel thing. Does anyone have a confirmed android solution that should work? Read through the last 10 pages and searched the thread at the top but didn't find recommendations. Thanks in advance!
How do you use a cable with a phone app?

Anyhow I used this recommended BT OBD dongle for Bimmercode, works perfectly and fast too. Also comes with basic diagnostic tools that work on all cars so I use it on all our cars. Merc, VW, Audi, Honda, Peugeot etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AFAIK K+DCAN cables are for E series and older?

For Esys and "proper" coding you need a ENET-OBD cable as per all F&G series cars.
Appreciate 1
Venom375.00
      04-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #2422
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
How do you use a cable with a phone app?

Anyhow I used this recommended BT OBD dongle for Bimmercode, works perfectly and fast too. Also comes with basic diagnostic tools that work on all cars so I use it on all our cars. Merc, VW, Audi, Honda, Peugeot etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AFAIK K+DCAN cables are for E series and older?

For Esys and "proper" coding you need a ENET-OBD cable as per all F&G series cars.
Thank you for the reply, good clarification point: I used ENET-OBD. I have extra K+DCAN from my e82 days, didn't realize that there was an actual difference between the cables and tried them for shiggles. Any who, I am tuned via BM3 with the ENET-OBD cable and was hoping to use that cable with my phone for coding. (I had a windows laptop running the tune but I really hate that thing so was trying to see if I can use an app for coding.) I was trying to use a bunch of usb3.0 adaptors and change how Android interpreted how to interact with what was connected.

Being in Cali and having the social distancing and wfh in effect, I have had much more time to drive the fun car(m2c) but realized how much of a literal headache I get with the fake sound.

Thank you for the link, ordering now!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #2423
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Thank you for the reply, good clarification point: I used ENET-OBD. I have extra K+DCAN from my e82 days, didn't realize that there was an actual difference between the cables and tried them for shiggles. Any who, I am tuned via BM3 with the ENET-OBD cable and was hoping to use that cable with my phone for coding. (I had a windows laptop running the tune but I really hate that thing so was trying to see if I can use an app for coding.) I was trying to use a bunch of usb3.0 adaptors and change how Android interpreted how to interact with what was connected.

Being in Cali and having the social distancing and wfh in effect, I have had much more time to drive the fun car(m2c) but realized how much of a literal headache I get with the fake sound.

Thank you for the link, ordering now!
Bimmercode doesn't use ENET for communication with modules, it uses an older, less reliable approach and has caused some owners (including me) to have failed coding requiring costly fixes either from the dealer or those that can get activation keys by some other means.

This is the reason you cannot use an ENET cable, and you need a different dongle.

If you want to use your E-NET cable and you have time to learn (due to Covid), download a copy of E-Sys and do your coding the right way... the safe way... with Ethernet to your laptop.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #2424
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Bimmercode doesn't use ENET for communication with modules, it uses an older, less reliable approach and has caused some owners (including me) to have failed coding requiring costly fixes either from the dealer or those that can get activation keys by some other means.

This is the reason you cannot use an ENET cable, and you need a different dongle.

If you want to use your E-NET cable and you have time to learn (due to Covid), download a copy of E-Sys and do your coding the right way... the safe way... with Ethernet to your laptop.
Just because it is not E-NET doesn't mean it is not reliable. The failure of coding has to do with the stability of the connection and that would depend on your wireless obd2 adapter, so cheaper Chinese adapters would be the likely cause of failure. I have never had any issues with my F series MHD wifi adapter that utilizes extremely high quality components and offers a stable connection.

More proof that a wireless connection is perfectly fine is that BM3, MHD, and ECUtek all offer wireless flashing capabilities. BMW's own ICOM system offers wireless flashing of the car as well. Successful read/writing to the ECU's is all dependent on connection stability which falls on reliability of the wireless connector. Enet is typically the most stable and reliable since it is just a cable, but that is not to say a high quality wireless adapter cannot be just as reliable.

Also note I have experienced crap quality ENET cables from China before where the wires were all bare inside of the connector which could have led to short circuits.
      04-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #2425
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Just because it is not E-NET doesn't mean it is not reliable. The failure of coding has to do with the stability of the connection and that would depend on your wireless obd2 adapter, so cheaper Chinese adapters would be the likely cause of failure. I have never had any issues with my F series MHD wifi adapter that utilizes extremely high quality components and offers a stable connection.

Also note I have experienced crap quality ENET cables from China before where the wires were all bare inside of the connector which could have led to short circuits.
Fair points, well made. I think there was also an issue of Android OS / Phone Hardware / Bluetooth in my case, because I tried two different Bluetooth modules.

My point was more that E-Net uses Ethernet / IP as the communication protocol, which has quite a bit of checking for packet loss etc. Whatever Bimmercode is using isn't IP (I asked the developer about this in the past), and that made it inherently slower, which lead to the failure in my case (a time out because coding was taking too long).

Quote:
More proof that a wireless connection is perfectly fine is that BM3, MHD, and ECUtek all offer wireless flashing capabilities.
BM3 doesn't offer a wireless connection, the OBD Agent software which actually does the flash is always hard line E-Net connected to the car. The wireless connection is more like a remote control of the OBD Agent; no flashing data is sent between the phone and the car at all.

I believe, but don't have first had experience, that MHD and ECUtek whilst wireless use WiFi and therefore IP, rather than the Bimmercode approach.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #2426
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Fair points, well made. I think there was also an issue of Android OS / Phone Hardware / Bluetooth in my case, because I tried two different Bluetooth modules.

My point was more that E-Net uses Ethernet / IP as the communication protocol, which has quite a bit of checking for packet loss etc. Whatever Bimmercode is using isn't IP (I asked the developer about this in the past), and that made it inherently slower, which lead to the failure in my case (a time out because coding was taking too long).

BM3 doesn't offer a wireless connection, the OBD Agent software which actually does the flash is always hard line E-Net connected to the car. The wireless connection is more like a remote control of the OBD Agent; no flashing data is sent between the phone and the car at all.

I believe, but don't have first had experience, that MHD and ECUtek whilst wireless use WiFi and therefore IP, rather than the Bimmercode approach.
I think coding took so long in you case because your adapter was of poor quality, because my WIFI adapter from MHD codes (the entire process with erasing errors) with bimmercode in under 1 second for some modules, with the longest being 5 seconds.

Oh I didn't know BM3 didn't flash over wifi, I thought that's what the wireless agent was for. Enet to the car and wifi to your phone.

Ecutek uses bluetooth iirc, if you option for their ecutek connect or whatever it is called.
      04-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #2427
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think coding took so long in you case because your adapter was of poor quality, because my WIFI adapter from MHD codes (the entire process with erasing errors) with bimmercode in under 1 second for some modules, with the longest being 5 seconds.

Oh I didn't know BM3 didn't flash over wifi, I thought that's what the wireless agent was for. Enet to the car and wifi to your phone.

Ecutek uses bluetooth iirc, if you option for their ecutek connect or whatever it is called.
It sounds like Bimmercode got updated then... It used to take about a minute to do the FEM_BODY module over Bluetooth.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #2428
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like Bimmercode got updated then... It used to take about a minute to do the FEM_BODY module over Bluetooth.
It still does on my Bluetooth adapter. But not on my MHD adapter.
      04-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2429
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
It still does on my Bluetooth adapter. But not on my MHD adapter.
Is this the adapter you're using?

https://burgertuning.com/products/mh...30318091141235

So it will work with Bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #2430
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post

Never mind... just scrolled back far enough to see the updated list on the BC website. Been a while since I'd been in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #2431
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post

Yup that's the one.
      04-25-2020, 07:07 AM   #2432
Rub1con76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F87 M2

Today i receive my OBD adapter for bimmercode. The first things i wanna code is asd off and start/stop memory active and seatbelt gong.

The rest i will see after a while
Can i code all these things at once or do them seperatly?
      04-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #2433
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub1con76 View Post
Today i receive my OBD adapter for bimmercode. The first things i wanna code is asd off and start/stop memory active and seatbelt gong.

The rest i will see after a while
Can i code all these things at once or do them seperatly?
If it's in the same module then yes, iirc they're I'm different modules so you gotta do it one by one.
      04-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #2434
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
If it's in the same module then yes, iirc they're I'm different modules so you gotta do it one by one.
Rub1con76, just to add on to F87source's comment - if the parameters you want to change are in different modules in BimmerCode, for example "Active Sound Design" and "Front Electronic Module," you'll need to access one module, change the desired parameter, and push "Code" and let the coding complete. Then, you'll need to access the second module, change the desired parameter, and push "Code," etc.

I made the mistake of trying to change parameters across multiple modules without coding them separately, so thought I would add detail here.
Appreciate 4
      04-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #2435
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Rub1con76, just to add on to F87source's comment - if the parameters you want to change are in different modules in BimmerCode, for example "Active Sound Design" and "Front Electronic Module," you'll need to access one module, change the desired parameter, and push "Code" and let the coding complete. Then, you'll need to access the second module, change the desired parameter, and push "Code," etc.

I made the mistake of trying to change parameters across multiple modules without coding them separately, so thought I would add detail here.
+1
      04-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #2436
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Ok guys-- almost 2500 posts on this thread and I'm sure there's maybe 1-2 of them that might might answer my question.

Simple question: For not doing *advanced* coding-- Carly or Bimmercode?

What are the differences? Other than Carly requiring a Carly-Specific OBD adapter, they sure seem to do about the same thing.

What am I missing?

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #2437
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Ok guys-- almost 2500 posts on this thread and I'm sure there's maybe 1-2 of them that might might answer my question.

Simple question: For not doing *advanced* coding-- Carly or Bimmercode?

What are the differences? Other than Carly requiring a Carly-Specific OBD adapter, they sure seem to do about the same thing.

What am I missing?

TIA--

R.
They both are good , but check these resources to come up with your preferred option:

https://blog.uobdii.com/bmw-coding-e...vs-bimmercode/

Appreciate 1
flybigjet6784.50
      04-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #2438
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They both are good , but check these resources to come up with your preferred option:
Thanks for those...

Oh-- I should specify this is for a 2020 M2C.

Coding has to be by iPhone or MacBook Pro. I have no access to tablets and/or Windows machines.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #2439
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for those...

Oh-- I should specify this is for a 2020 M2C.

Coding has to be by iPhone or MacBook Pro. I have no access to tablets and/or Windows machines.
You're welcome.

I've had great success with BimmerCode, absolutely no issues with my F30. I do not personally have experience with Carly but the overall reviews are positive. There are also many YouTube video tutorials for BimmerCode not to mention a wealth of knowledge on Bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #2440
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome.

I've had great success with BimmerCode, absolutely no issues with my F30. I do not personally have experience with Carly but the overall reviews are positive. There are also many YouTube video tutorials for BimmerCode not to mention a wealth of knowledge on Bimmerpost.
Yes-- the amount of information is staggering; to the extent that I'm sort of in "data overload" mode.

Not sure what Carly does that Bimmercode doesn't and vice versa.

I got an OBD reader from Amazon, but I can still return it. I was planning on Bimmercode, but I didn't realize that Carly requires a proprietary OBD reader.

I guess the simple question is: What does Carly do that Bimmercode doesn't, and/or what does Bimmercode do that Carly doesn't?

This is WAY to frustrating than it should be.

Thanks again.

R.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      04-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #2441
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome.

Yes-- the amount of information is staggering; to the extent that I'm sort of in "data overload" mode.

Not sure what Carly does that Bimmercode doesn't and vice versa.

I got an OBD reader from Amazon, but I can still return it. I was planning on Bimmercode, but I didn't realize that Carly requires a proprietary OBD reader.

I guess the simple question is: What does Carly do that Bimmercode doesn't, and/or what does Bimmercode do that Carly doesn't?

This is WAY to frustrating than it should be.

Thanks again.

R.
BimmerCode has an expert mode which you will probably use because it includes so many additional options that aren't listed in the standard mode.

According to the website I referenced above, Carly is an older platform and was developed for E gen cars and newer, whereas BimmerCode was developed for F series cars and newer.

BimmerCode is very easy to use, since you already have the OBD2 adapter, I'd start there.
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6784.50
Kankles1484.50
      04-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #2442
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BimmerCode has an expert mode which you will probably use because it includes so many additional options that aren't listed in the standard mode.

According to the website I referenced above, Carly is an older platform and was developed for E gen cars and newer, whereas BimmerCode was developed for F series cars and newer.

BimmerCode is very easy to use, since you already have the OBD2 adapter, I'd start there.
Good advice. Is expert mode still in German? or is it translated? I'm NOT brave enough to start randomly hitting buttons. I'm a huge fan of "idiot-proof".

R.
Appreciate 0