BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Confused about what oil to use

12-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #265
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbse39 View Post
Anyone know why Quaker State 5w40 Euro Synthetic (Did Ultimate Durability change label?) is not available in the US in 5Qt jugs? That was such a great buy at Walmart for barely $20 for 5 qt jug but I haven't been able to find them in 2-3 months.
Yeah, even the huge drums seem to be out of stock. It's too bad. Maybe it'll come back at some point
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:45 PM   #266
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Just got my UOA back from Blackstone today. This is the first time using the Motul 8100 X-cess Gen 2 5w40. This car mostly gets driven to the track, tracked, and then back home. If I wasn't under warranty, I'd probably switch between this oil and 300V for track usage... but I am under warranty (for a while at that).

Details about this particular usage
  • 3 days on track
  • All days on track had ambient temps 85-90°F
  • ~500 miles were driving to a track 3.5 hrs away (highway mileage)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7305.00
      01-08-2022, 04:01 AM   #267
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

So it’s new oil to start with? And after the drive there and back plus the actual 3 days of track…. You get that result which is still good. How much oil life is there left?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #268
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Sheared down to a 5w-30.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #269
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Yeah kind of sketchy, PPE is known to be thin from the start but I've never seen PPE lose that much viscosity even with E85 use or heavy track use. Maybe PPE and it's GTL base stock is better despite slightly lower zinc, PPE does have a really robust additive pack.
M1500Z424.50
      01-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #270
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

so with that result, time to change the oil? Or would that be good for daily driving still but not another set of track time?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:18 PM   #271
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

I don't like that KV100. Other than that it is really good report.
Flash point is still strong, so it is not fuel dilution that sheared down oil but mechanical shearing.
What stands out is excellent oxidation control of this oil. Obviously it is Group III oil.
I am wondering how PPE 5W40 would do or Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40?
If you try other oils and they shear down as much, consider heavier, more track specific stuff like Motul Sport 5W40 or Redline 5W40.
Appreciate 2
F87source7305.00
M1500Z424.50
      01-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #272
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
so with that result, time to change the oil? Or would that be good for daily driving still but not another set of track time?
Still OK for DD.
Strong TBN and low oxidation.
Appreciate 1
M1500Z424.50
      01-09-2022, 11:24 AM   #273
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the 300V going to void the BMW warranty but this one does not? Although I did read the note on the 8100 product page which had a sentence on warranty. Didn’t think there are oils that would void the warranty. The 300V is a better oil? But is not BMW LL-01? Is that it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #274
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but how does the 300V going to void the BMW warranty but this one does not? Although I did read the note on the 8100 product page which had a sentence on warranty. Didn't think there are oils that would void the warranty. The 300V is a better oil? But is not BMW LL-01? Is that it?
X-Cess is LL01 approved.
300V is not approved for anything. It doesn't even have API certification.
Reason is that 300V is genuine race oil. It works best when oil temperatures are extremely high as additives specific to race oils work best at high temperatures.
However, those additives are not best solution for daily driven cars. Many owners rarely reach operating oil temperature, let alone blast their car all day close to redline. You need different additives, different base stocks (less oxidation, more solubility). BMW sells cars to regular people and will warrant only if approved oils are used.
They know if someone is racing they will not care for warranty and they will know what oil to use.
That is why Motul has Sport line up. For people that go to track a lot but also daily drive same vehicle. Better oxidation control, additives more geared toward daily driving.
But, if one is just occasionally go to track, street oils are best solution. They still have a lot if additives that will easily deal with track. Also, Porsche A40 approved oils are track capable. That approval has specific track test (8hrs Nurburgring simulation).
Appreciate 3
M1500Z424.50
vrooooom326.00
      01-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #275
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So it’s new oil to start with? And after the drive there and back plus the actual 3 days of track…. You get that result which is still good. How much oil life is there left?
Correct, new oil, 3 hot days on track and bit of driving and then changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Sheared down to a 5w-30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah kind of sketchy, PPE is known to be thin from the start but I've never seen PPE lose that much viscosity even with E85 use or heavy track use. Maybe PPE and it's GTL base stock is better despite slightly lower zinc, PPE does have a really robust additive pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Flash point is still strong, so it is not fuel dilution that sheared down oil but mechanical shearing.
What stands out is excellent oxidation control of this oil. Obviously it is Group III oil.
If you try other oils and they shear down as much, consider heavier, more track specific stuff like Motul Sport 5W40 or Redline 5W40.
I'm disappointed to hear this regarding this oil—was hoping it would be ok for 2 weekends on track (I typically do weekends, so 4 days). This is a 100% stock S55 as well. What would cause the oil to mechanically shear down like that? Could it have been heat? The Aim data from the hottest session (of the hottest day) that oil was subjected to is below. Average ambient temp for this session was 95ºF.

I believe peak temp was like 248—prob extremely briefly as the histogram doesn't even represent anything over 245°F. I have another sample I'm about to send in that has 2 days at COTA (1 of which was in the cold rain so I doubt it put much energy into the oil). Both days saw peak ambient temps over 40°F cooler so it'll be interesting to compare the two samples.

Quote:
X-Cess is LL01 approved.
Reason is that 300V is genuine race oil. It works best when oil temperatures are extremely high as additives specific to race oils work best at high temperatures.
However, those additives are not best solution for daily driven cars. Many owners rarely reach operating oil temperature, let alone blast their car all day close to redline. You need different additives, different base stocks (less oxidation, more solubility). BMW sells cars to regular people and will warrant only if approved oils are used.
They know if someone is racing they will not care for warranty and they will know what oil to use.
That is why Motul has Sport line up. For people that go to track a lot but also daily drive same vehicle. Better oxidation control, additives more geared toward daily driving.
But, if one is just occasionally go to track, street oils are best solution. They still have a lot if additives that will easily deal with track. Also, Porsche A40 approved oils are track capable. That approval has specific track test (8hrs Nurburgring simulation).
I guess I could try Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 next. I just had the annual required service done so the car is putting around on the BMW dealer oil—I'll never track on that oil again if I can avoid it. I believe you, edycol mentioned the Motul Sport being an older oil than the X-cess Gen 2, and I also don't believe it's LL01. There just aren't a lot of choices in the LL01 category and I'm concerned that if something were to go wrong and they sampled 300V it would be an excuse to deny a warranty claim. Is 300V acceptable to use in cars with catalysts? Perhaps I could use 300V during the hotter months and then X-cess Gen 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #276
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:
So it's new oil to start with? And after the drive there and back plus the actual 3 days of track…. You get that result which is still good. How much oil life is there left?
Correct, new oil, 3 hot days on track and bit of driving and then changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Sheared down to a 5w-30.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm disappointed to hear this regarding this oil—was hoping it would be ok for 2 weekends on track (I typically do weekends, so 4 days). This is a 100% stock S55 as well. What would cause the oil to mechanically shear down like that? Could it have been heat? The Aim data from the hottest session (of the hottest day) that oil was subjected to is below. Average ambient temp for this session was 95ºF.

I believe peak temp was like 248—prob extremely briefly as the histogram doesn't even represent anything over 245°F. I have another sample I'm about to send in that has 2 days at COTA (1 of which was in the cold rain so I doubt it put much energy into the oil). Both days saw peak ambient temps over 40°F cooler so it'll be interesting to compare the two samples.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0[/IMG]

Quote:
X-Cess is LL01 approved.
I guess I could try Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 next. I just had the annual required service done so the car is putting around on the BMW dealer oil—I'll never track on that oil again if I can avoid it. I believe you, edycol mentioned the Motul Sport being an older oil than the X-cess Gen 2, and I also don't believe it's LL01. There just aren't a lot of choices in the LL01 category and I'm concerned that if something were to go wrong and they sampled 300V it would be an excuse to deny a warranty claim. Is 300V acceptable to use in cars with catalysts? Perhaps I could use 300V during the hotter months and then X-cess Gen 2.
I would stick to LL01 under warranty. It is better to change it more often than deal with warranty issues.
PPE will do good. PPE is thin, BUT, since it is GTL HTHS is strong in 3.8 range. Your oil temperature you said is 248 on track? That is NOTHING!!! You could basically run XW30 with strong HTHS (I wouldn't, just saying).
You can try Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40. It has also strong additive package and HTHS of 3.7.
You can go maybe Ravenol 5W40 if looking more "exotic " oil.
As for shearing, the engine is beating up oil. High revolutions, turbos, vanos etc. Some oils do really good in one engine but not so good in another.

https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-mo...-5w-40-5l.html
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #277
edycol
Major
Rep

Also, take into consideration that ambient temperature is irrelevant. Altitude is one that matters. Higher altitude less heat exchange. Running at track at 95 degrees below 2,000ft is much easier than running here in CO at HPR at 5,000ft and 60 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #278
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would stick to LL01 under warranty. It is better to change it more often than deal with warranty issues.
PPE will do good. PPE is thin, BUT, since it is GTL HTHS is strong in 3.8 range. Your oil temperature you said is 248 on track? That is NOTHING!!! You could basically run XW30 with strong HTHS (I wouldn't, just saying).
You can try Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40. It has also strong additive package and HTHS of 3.7.
As for shearing, the engine is beating up oil. High revolutions, turbos, vanos etc. Some oils do really good in one engine but not so good in another.

I spoke with Blackstone about my report and they basically said the same thing—they tend to see mechanical shearing in turbo engines. They weren't very concerned about the shearing and lower KV100. This additional sample I'll send in should provide a little more info into the longevity of the Motul X-cess Gen 2.

I didn't know if my oil temps were anything exceptional or not, just thought I'd point it out. I didn't think it was all that high though and S55 is known for having excellent cooling—it's the reason I swapped from M2 to M2 Comp.

That Ravenol looks interesting. I could run it for a weekend and the Pennzoil another weekend and see. What's the downside of the PPE (if any?) If I recall, you seem to prefer Motul to the PPE.

Quote:
Also, take into consideration that ambient temperature is irrelevant. Altitude is one that matters. Higher altitude less heat exchange. Running at track at 95 degrees below 2,000ft is much easier than running here in CO at HPR at 5,000ft and 60 degrees.
Yeah, you've mentioned that before and I'd forgotten about it. As much as I enjoy snowboarding, I think I'll continue to live at low altitude .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #279
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Found this analysis of Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 after track day in another thread, can compare to Motul, I think it looks better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7305.00
      01-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #280
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKr6l View Post
Found this analysis of Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 after track day in another thread, can compare to Motul, I think it looks better.
This is the old PPE as well, the new one should be better since it was the one that moved to a formulation with an hths of 3.8, also has less calcium, more magnesium, more zinc (near 1k ppm), more phosphorus, more boron, more moly (even more than liquimoly' molygen oil which is supposed to be moly heavy) etc. This oil should perform even better overall.

Last edited by F87source; 01-10-2022 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #281
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:

I spoke with Blackstone about my report and they basically said the same thing—they tend to see mechanical shearing in turbo engines. They weren't very concerned about the shearing and lower KV100. This additional sample I'll send in should provide a little more info into the longevity of the Motul X-cess Gen 2.

I didn't know if my oil temps were anything exceptional or not, just thought I'd point it out. I didn't think it was all that high though and S55 is known for having excellent cooling—it's the reason I swapped from M2 to M2 Comp.

That Ravenol looks interesting. I could run it for a weekend and the Pennzoil another weekend and see. What's the downside of the PPE (if any?) If I recall, you seem to prefer Motul to the PPE.

Quote:
Yeah, you've mentioned that before and I'd forgotten about it. As much as I enjoy snowboarding, I think I'll continue to live at low altitude .
Oil definitely took beating from the engine. Though, I must say oxidation control and TBN retention are excellent.
For DD the leftover KV100 is good. But I am bit skeptical bcs. oil pressure going into thin 30 territory after so many miles.
Try PPE. PPE is mostly GTL and Group III. It is thin, but HTHS is 3.8 territory and some pds had it at 3.88. I would definitely try it. I used it once on track but never did UOA.
Shell put all its chips into GTL although they are known to drop in some PAO.
That being said, it crossed my mind that if you can get some old stock of BMW TPT 0W40 M oil, get it. That stuff is ridiculously robust. GTL and PAO combination specifically made for BMW by SOPUS. I think BMW Canada still has it in stock.
Appreciate 1
M1500Z424.50
      01-10-2022, 08:17 PM   #282
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oil definitely took beating from the engine. Though, I must say oxidation control and TBN retention are excellent.
For DD the leftover KV100 is good. But I am bit skeptical bcs. oil pressure going into thin 30 territory after so many miles.
Try PPE. PPE is mostly GTL and Group III. It is thin, but HTHS is 3.8 territory and some pds had it at 3.88. I would definitely try it. I used it once on track but never did UOA.
That being said, it crossed my mind that if you can get some old stock of BMW TPT 0W40 M oil, get it. That stuff is ridiculously robust. GTL and PAO combination specifically made for BMW by SOPUS. I think BMW Canada still has it in stock.
Yup they had the old ///M power 0w40 oil at my dealer in 1L jugs, really expensive though so idk if it's worth it.
      01-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #283
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup they had the old ///M power 0w40 oil at my dealer in 1L jugs, really expensive though so idk if it's worth it.
Yeah, if it's big difference then no.
Appreciate 1
F87source7305.00
      01-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #284
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Does shell not have a similar 0W40 formulation for themselves maybe under their helix banner? All I know is they have their PPE 0W40 but that isn't as good as their 5W40.
      01-10-2022, 09:09 PM   #285
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

BTW I think shell improved PPE 5w40 alot, they probably either used more GTL or added some PAO because pour point iirc dropped from the low mins 20's to minus 30's to -40C
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/...2b4b5dbce0.pdf

Here's an old TDS showing the 3.88 HTHS btw: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...40-pdf.363257/
edycol1513.50
      01-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #286
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does shell not have a similar 0W40 formulation for themselves maybe under their helix banner? All I know is they have their PPE 0W40 but that isn't as good as their 5W40.
TPT 0W40 M is specifically made for BMW. Lot's of PAO, -52c pour point, HTHS around 3.9 and Noack as far as I remember in 7% value range. It us really good stuff.
Appreciate 2
F87source7305.00
M1500Z424.50