BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Springs Binding Post TCK Suspension Install **RESOLVED**

06-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Springs Binding Post TCK Suspension Install **RESOLVED**

Installed a used (15k miles) TCK suspension and I’ve run into the following issue.

View post on imgur.com

TC indicated it may be bad bearings in the camber plates (which despite the used coilovers are new) and is sending new ones 2day at no cost to me but my wrench isn’t convinced as they were spinning unloaded.

Anyone know something we don’t?

Last edited by ///393; 06-27-2022 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Do you have thrust sheets on the bottom at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Hope you get your suspension sorted out.

Just wanted to say that that's outstanding customer service by TCK for sending you new camber plates even though you bought the set used. Glad I went with TCK for my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Hope you get your suspension sorted out.

Just wanted to say that that's outstanding customer service by TCK for sending you new camber plates even though you bought the set used. Glad I went with TCK for my car.
While it was nice of him to answer the phone and send replacements, he missed the call of my tech and hadn’t yet returned the call when I phoned again a couple hours later.

And again, while it was nice to send replacements, having to pay for labor to jockey these in/out/in/out/in has been less than ideal.

FaRKle! yeah they’re on there. Thanks for taking a look and for any thoughts…
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Is this with the stock top plate (which has a built in thrust race behind the spring seat), or something else?

Edit: I ask as it looks like the spring isn't freely rotating at the top as it should - so something is binding.

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-21-2022 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Splling
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
While it was nice of him to answer the phone and send replacements, he missed the call of my tech and hadn’t yet returned the call when I phoned again a couple hours later.

And again, while it was nice to send replacements, having to pay for labor to jockey these in/out/in/out/in has been less than ideal.

FaRKle! yeah they’re on there. Thanks for taking a look and for any thoughts…
Definitely sounds like a frustrating situation you're in. I truly do hope you get it sorted out. Please keep us updated on what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Adding Swift thrust sheets can solve the issue and/or use camber plates with both thrust and radial bearings.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
///393
Captain
Rep

Using brand new out the box OG M2 TCK plates.

After learning what thrust sheets are, I’ve ordered the following Bimmerworld “Torrington Bearings”

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...aring-Kit.html

TC indicated,

“The bearings should take care of it.

If you like the thrust sheets, that’s ok too, but they should not be necessary.”

We shall see. My wrench has the Covids so it may be next week until I get everything in and installed.

I found it interesting this issue was documented back in 2011 in this thread where someone referenced “Erik” at TCK who was recommending thrust sheets as the fix.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504218

Other threads on the M3 side say the Torrington bearings give out after a while. Considering not fooling with them maybe after all. Fingers crossed the replacement camber plate bearing does the trick…

Otherwise it may be time for MCS and Vorschlag.

Last edited by ///393; 06-21-2022 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #9
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I tried Torringtons once and never again. (came with coilover pkg)
They have exposed bearing races.

IMO they're best on a dedicated track machine that gets serviced/dismantled regularly.
On a street machine that does some track time, they get filled up with dirt and grit and are useless.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #10
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I tried Torringtons once and never again. (came with coilover pkg)
They have exposed bearing races.

IMO they're best on a dedicated track machine that gets serviced/dismantled regularly.
On a street machine that does some track time, they get filled up with dirt and grit and are useless.
This is what I’m reading…

May skip them in that case and hang my hat on the replacement bearing working correctly. If not, I’ll go back to the drawing board. Maybe go to Vorschlag plates?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Using brand new out the box OG M2 TCK plates.

After learning what thrust sheets are, I’ve ordered the following Bimmerworld “Torrington Bearings”

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...aring-Kit.html

TC indicated,

“The bearings should take care of it.

If you like the thrust sheets, that’s ok too, but they should not be necessary.”

We shall see. My wrench has the Covids so it may be next week until I get everything in and installed.

I found it interesting this issue was documented back in 2011 in this thread where someone referenced “Erik” at TCK who was recommending thrust sheets as the fix.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504218

Other threads on the M3 side say the Torrington bearings give out after a while. Considering not fooling with them maybe after all. Fingers crossed the replacement camber plate bearing does the trick…

Otherwise it may be time for MCS and Vorschlag.
The Torrington bearings will require lots of maintenance. Try to keep them clean free debris.

Swift thrust sheets and camber plates with a radial load bearing(sometimes this feature along can eliminate all spring bind) still has my vote for a street driven vehicle. The radial load bearing is sealed and will likely outlast the spherical bearing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Talx85.00
      06-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
///393
Captain
Rep

Thanks to all for your thoughts and replies. Much appreciated.

Should the replacement bearings TC sends not solve the problem, I’ll move on to Vorshlag and swift thrust sheets.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
riko///m2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3, AW F87 M2, Model 3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [9.90]
2017 BMW m2   [9.75]
What is the condition of the strut nut and aluminum sleeve? I recommend replacing them along with the new bearings.

https://www.tcklineracing.com/webdoc...Details815.cfm

Quote:
Thanks to all for your thoughts and replies. Much appreciated.

Should the replacement bearings TC sends not solve the problem, I’ll move on to Vorshlag and swift thrust sheets.
      06-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #14
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riko///m2 View Post
What is the condition of the strut nut and aluminum sleeve? I recommend replacing them along with the new bearings.

https://www.tcklineracing.com/webdoc...Details815.cfm
Thanks for this! I’ll have to inquire with my wrench on their condition but given the circumstances and cost it can’t hurt.

I’ll see if I can get these shipped in time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #15
///393
Captain
Rep

The replacement camber plate bearings TC sent resolved the problem just as he stated they would. I’m so stoked.

My wrench said they looked noticeably different.

While it sucked to have to fight this, TC Kline’s reputation of great customer service in an era where that no longer really exists holds.

Is he the only suspension shop that answers the phone and is a good person? Nah, but they’re more and more rare in the performance game so we all need to appreciate what we have.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
(K)1278.00
      06-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #16
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The replacement camber plate bearings TC sent resolved the problem just as he stated they would. I’m so stoked.

While it sucked to have to fight this, TC Kline’s reputation of great customer service in an era where that no longer really exists holds.

Is he the only suspension shop that answers the phone and is a good person? Nah, but they’re more and more rare in the performance game so we all need to appreciate what we have.
Excellent news! Glad you got it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:50 PM   #17
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
The replacement camber plate bearings TC sent resolved the problem just as he stated they would. I'm so stoked.

While it sucked to have to fight this, TC Kline's reputation of great customer service in an era where that no longer really exists holds.

Is he the only suspension shop that answers the phone and is a good person? Nah, but they're more and more rare in the performance game so we all need to appreciate what we have.
Glad you got it resolved.

I know the question was a bit rhetorical, but regardless, I had the infamous clunking with my Ohlins R&T that many of us have. Called them and the folks there were understanding, and covered the rebuild on their dime despite me technically being out of their limited warranty period. I had similar woes as you did (added cost to mechanics), and while that sucked, I'm definitely glad to have my problem acknowledged and ultimately resolved too.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #18
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post

I know the question was a bit rhetorical, but regardless, I had the infamous clunking with my Ohlins R&T that many of us have. Called them and the folks there were understanding, and covered the rebuild on their dime despite me technically being out of their limited warranty period. I had similar woes as you did (added cost to mechanics), and while that sucked, I'm definitely glad to have my problem acknowledged and ultimately resolved too.
Is that issue with the Ohlins R&T unique to the F87 spec unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #19
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Is that issue with the Ohlins R&T unique to the F87 spec unit?
Seems so, but it has Ohlins puzzled last I spoke with them to be honest. We knew the root cause to be due to the internal bushing changing parts from some brass(?) construction to PTFE. All they did in all of the examples in the below thread (including me) was revert back to their old style bushing and the issue was gone.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post25216872

However, the guy on the phone (who honestly isn't just some typical front line support or sales folk) said they haven't gotten any complaints from M3/M4 owners; only M2 owners. So I'm not really sure what to make of that. I'm pretty sure the Ohlins R&T part number is the same for both chassis, but I might be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #20
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems so, but it has Ohlins puzzled last I spoke with them to be honest. We knew the root cause to be due to the internal bushing changing parts from some brass(?) construction to PTFE. All they did in all of the examples in the below thread (including me) was revert back to their old style bushing and the issue was gone.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post25216872

However, the guy on the phone (who honestly isn't just some typical front line support or sales folk) said they haven't gotten any complaints from M3/M4 owners; only M2 owners. So I'm not really sure what to make of that. I'm pretty sure the Ohlins R&T part number is the same for both chassis, but I might be wrong.
Yes, now they are the same. Before they were only different because of the spring rates and rear damper length(same damper just adjusted to different length). Maybe there is more to it. An Ohlins engineer can tell you the internal differences if any.
Appreciate 0