BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Wet M2C Big Brakes??

11-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Wet M2C Big Brakes??

Noticed that the big brakes on the M2C require the pedal to be pumped a few times to engage after an extended exposure to water during driving or after the car was washed...

Took about 3-4 pumps for me to stop last night after a wash. Almost went through a red light.

(pic for attention)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I haven't had any extreme reactions to the brakes getting wet. There's always SOME reduction in braking with wet disc brakes, but I've had cars that were more sensitive than this one. I did own a car with all drum brakes once...even in light rain the thing didn't want to stop at all, so perhaps I'm just still using that as a comparison almost 30 years later.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
After i wash my car, i'm always wary of stopping for the first time because when these brakes get clean, it takes a good pump to stop em. It's not bad as long as you remember to stop the car in a parking lot or something and then youre back on the road.
      11-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Frank K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
When you use your wipers, the car assumes it's raining and will periodically engage the brakes to keep the rotors dry.
2019 M2 Competition: DCT, BSM, 29U (ordered 9/1, production week 41, finished production 10/8, at port 10/11, left Bremerhaven on 10/20 on Horizon Highway (K line), arrived in Southampton 10/21, Baltimore/MD on 10/31 and Brunswick/GA on 11/3, at dealership on 11/12)
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank K View Post
When you use your wipers, the car assumes it's raining and will periodically engage the brakes to keep the rotors dry.
I’m aware of this brake ‘wiper’ function on BMWs.
Wasn’t sure it was on M cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:25 AM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I am surprised you had this happen with drilled rotors also. I've had this happen with certain pad / rotor combos on some cars, but not on drilled or slotted or OEM pads. Might be that the larger surface area of the 2NH brakes makes it more likely to happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

i don't think i ever observed this behavior.

My biggest issue with the breaks since I got the car back in June is the break squeaking. I am at 5k miles and it is still happening unpredictably. I am tempted to take it to the dealership but i am afraid i won't be able to reproduce the problem.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
FreeDarko217.00
      11-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I am surprised you had this happen with drilled rotors also. I've had this happen with certain pad / rotor combos on some cars, but not on drilled or slotted or OEM pads. Might be that the larger surface area of the 2NH brakes makes it more likely to happen.
I'm not sure what year/brakes exactly are being discussed but if you mean 370mm front 4-piston Brembo (S2NHA) vs 340mm front 4-piston Brembos (P337A), the swept area of the brakes are identical since they use identical size and identical part numbers for brake pads. The calipers are identical except for a casting stretched by 15mm to fit over 30mm larger rotors. That extra rotor area doesn't increase pad swept area in this case.

Actual fully cross-drilled (not dimpled) brake rotors provide the best performance in rain because they give any water between the pad and rotor surfaces somewhere else to go. If you are having to pump brakes to get them to work under wet conditions (and they work fine otherwise including cold temperatures) with drilled rotors, I would suspect the pad compound is the issue.

Also remember that braking under wet conditions is also a function of tire compound, tire pressure, tread design and tread condition. Is it possible that you are focusing on brakes when it's your tires that may be suspect under wet conditions?

I've got 370mm drilled rotors front, 345mm drilled rotors rear, Hawk 5.0 pads and 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I honestly can't tell if the road conditions are completely dry or pouring rain, the handling and braking performance of these components working together as a system seem identical under varying conditions.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      11-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I'm not sure what year/brakes exactly are being discussed but if you mean 370mm front 4-piston Brembo (S2NHA) vs 340mm front 4-piston Brembos (P337A), the swept area of the brakes are identical since they use identical size and identical part numbers for brake pads. The calipers are identical except for a casting stretched by 15mm to fit over 30mm larger rotors. That extra rotor area doesn't increase pad swept area in this case.

Actual fully cross-drilled (not dimpled) brake rotors provide the best performance in rain because they give any water between the pad and rotor surfaces somewhere else to go. If you are having to pump brakes to get them to work under wet conditions (and they work fine otherwise including cold temperatures) with drilled rotors, I would suspect the pad compound is the issue.

Also remember that braking under wet conditions is also a function of tire compound, tire pressure, tread design and tread condition. Is it possible that you are focusing on brakes when it's your tires that may be suspect under wet conditions?

I've got 370mm drilled rotors front, 345mm drilled rotors rear, Hawk 5.0 pads and 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I honestly can't tell if the road conditions are completely dry or pouring rain, the handling and braking performance of these components working together as a system seem identical under varying conditions.

Hope this helps!
Do you know what forum you're on? I came from the 3/4 series ones so I know what you're talking about but the M2s have either 380 or 400mm front rotors and absolutely do not use the same pads.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Do you know what forum you're on? I came from the 3/4 series ones so I know what you're talking about but the M2s have either 380 or 400mm front rotors and absolutely do not use the same pads.
Thanks for your comment. I do know what forum it is, hence what I said in my first paragraph. Wasn't sure if order code that I recognized meant same thing in M2. However other generic statements I made about drilled rotors, pad compounds and tires are valid. Thought it might help so that's why I posted.
Appreciate 2
dab198195.00
cptobvious2531.50
      11-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. I do know what forum it is, hence what I said in my first paragraph. Wasn't sure if order code that I recognized meant same thing in M2. However other generic statements I made about drilled rotors, pad compounds and tires are valid. Thought it might help so that's why I posted.
2NH is the exact option code for the M2C brakes. They are 6 piston front, nothing related to the 3 series brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

I experience this a little on my OG M2, and a LOT on the GT4 - almost feels like I have no brakes right after I leave the car wash lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as insulting, I didn't mean it that way if it did. When I read your post I had to check if I was in the M2 section myself because I got confused.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as insulting, I didn't mean it that way if it did. When I read your post I had to check if I was in the M2 section myself because I got confused.
No problem at all. HaHa, but if you really feel bad my wife and I can come spend the winter with you in Hawaii. Also we'll need use of the M2!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50