BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs 17 STI

01-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #23
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Check through CosmosMpower posts. He had a 2016 STi while waiting on his M2.

I'm betting he might recommend the Ford Focus RS over the STi actually ..
Ok. I will check. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OP your profile indicates you live in Florida. Why would you want AWD? Also STI and M2 are not even close when it comes to the engine and quality marks. I like the STI, but it's drastically different than the M2.
I do live in Florida. I've driven FWD and RWD, so that kinda makes me to try AWD too. Like I said, I like the look of STI which is kinda main reason why I'm challenged to hold on to M2 waiting list.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No. Not even close.

No. The EJ257 fails at an incredibly alarming rate. Subaru acknowledges the rod bearing and piston issues with the motor. They stock shortblocks all over the country for a reason.

No. While the turbo was changed, it's had the same engine since its introduction as a 2004.

That post was all kinds of wrong.
I was reading his post with my jaw hanging open. Thanks for doing the work to respond to him, took the words right out of my mouth.

If you get a EJ, hope you enjoy those ringland failures. And being slower than a X5 with a JB4, even if your STI is tuned.
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #26
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
So N55 being old too in BMW engine line up is still better than the one in STI I guess? What about WRX base engine then???
I had the N55 in my old X1 BMW SUV. I ran high 11 1/4 mile in it and was making 425whp on completely stock internals. I put 75k tuned miles on that engine car before it was totaled, probably 15k of them under hard track use. Good luck with that in a STI.

Even before I did bolt on parts with that car, with just a $500 JB4 tune I was smoking FBO STIs all day long and twice on Sunday. A STI needs a full engine build with complimentary fuel system, etc, to compare to a N55 with $500 of modifications.

One of my good friends owns one of the most famous Subaru tuning shops in the nation. If you ask him about building a performance car, his #1 advice is to not buy a Subaru.
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #27
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2 View Post
if you did a Stage 1 tune with the Cobb Accessport on the STI, it will be faster than the M2, for about 1K.
what are you smoking, mate? this is so far from the truth.

12.9 is about the best you'll see for a simple cobb OTS map on the old EJ, and that's with a barely over 100mph trap. most people get mid to low 13's with a stage 1 OTS map. even with stage 2 it takes a low elevation drag strip on a cool dry morning to hit high 12's. (I've owned a stage 2 EJ25 and stage 1 FA20DIT)

the only reason the STi can even hit 12's in the quarter with stage 2 is due to the really hard AWD launches netting some impressive 60ft times.
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #28
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No. The EJ257 fails at an incredibly alarming rate. Subaru acknowledges the rod bearing and piston issues with the motor. They stock shortblocks all over the country for a reason.
Happened to me at 30,000 in my bone stock Subie. Shortblock under warranty. When I heard the piston rattle of death come back again at 70,000 it was off to the dealer as a trade-in.

Subaru makes a really fun car to beat around in the snow. But long term engine reliability, um, not so much.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #29
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
The problem is that dealers are not letting me test drive STI for some reason.
The problem is the dealers are not taking you seriously. if they have the car on the lot and wont let you test drive it, it's just as simple as that. They are looking at you and thinking you are not serious. That it's not worth their time to let you and that car go spin around the block. Maybe you look too young? Maybe you look like a moron? Maybe you look like you cant afford it? Maybe it's how you present yourself? I dont know, but whatever it is you are being judged. it's a cruel world sometimes.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #30
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
get the M and don't look back.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #31
Luv2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i, 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
what are you smoking, mate? this is so far from the truth.

12.9 is about the best you'll see for a simple cobb OTS map on the old EJ, and that's with a barely over 100mph trap. most people get mid to low 13's with a stage 1 OTS map. even with stage 2 it takes a low elevation drag strip on a cool dry morning to hit high 12's. (I've owned a stage 2 EJ25 and stage 1 FA20DIT)

the only reason the STi can even hit 12's in the quarter with stage 2 is due to the really hard AWD launches netting some impressive 60ft times.
Sorry ... Forgot to mention that my buddy did the Cobb turbo back exhaust also. So that would be a stage 2.
juyeop93.00
      01-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #32
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Love the STi. I had an 08 stage 2 protune. Car launched hard and was a stoplight warrior. Love the flat 4 sound too. Beast in the snow with snow tires. Never a single problem with her. That being said, its econocar roots showed through all the time. Horrible stereo and nav. Creaks and rattles everywhere. Tough to offer everything the STi does in the powertrain dept and keep it under 40k. Gotta cut cost many other places.

I have owned a few M cars since and even though I love the subie, I doubt I'll ever go back.
Appreciate 2
juyeop93.00
evilalien447.50
      01-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
get the M and don't look back.
Fix: Get the M and you won't look back !

juyeop

I can tell you for sure that a well cared for 200x E46 3 series purchased used today is a more solidly built vehicle than the 2005 Subaru Legacy AWD GT that I purchased as a my first Subaru.

It was a decent car... but personally, for the most part , I find AWD cars not as much fun to drive as RWD.. and.. I would prefer FWD also. If you are in a hot climate you don't even get the four season advantage.

The build quality of a BMW vs a Subaru is simply a different level. My Scooby was a first year model, it had a host of issues including an oil path distribution issue that eventually starved the turbo of oil. Many owners got a new turbo under the 3/36 warranty and some even after but my ( ex wife driven ) car made it to about 85k. The clutch didn't make it 60k. ( note - Don't Blame the chick behind the wheel .. her 5MT Honda Accord went to 225 K and she has put 100K on an E46 M3 6MT). We had wheel bearings fail on multiple corners of the car before the 3/36.

I rock a single profile name on forums so check the Scooby forums.

Reason for buying .. a relative worked for the company ( in quality control- no less ) at the plant in Indiana and we got the car for cost.

We dumped it at around 105K miles and 7 years or so of ownership. The final stake in the heart upon trade.. a cracked header.. i researched the repair and took a 1k loss and sold it to a Scooby dude from Oklahoma.
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #34
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

FWIW, I'm going from an '11 STI to an M240i xdrive soon. Not quite an M2, as I wanted xdrive. The STI is great, and both it and M2 are track-ready while ok for the road. The STI is not too comfortable for long daily-drives, and not efficient driven properly (Subaru performance and efficiency does not go hand in hand).

Like the M2, you have to know you want one as you won't get to test drive a new one in most cases (I had to order, and all were sold before hitting North America when I got mine).

They aren't really apples-to-apples, though. Mitsu evo v STI... give me to Subaru all day everyday. BMW is another class, and coupe != sedan. Probably makes more sense to compare Audi RS3. I compared with the S3/4 and decided on ordering an F22 with drive being a deciding factor (and frankly the dynamic suspension etc was important for fit as a daily driver). If I lived somewhere that never had weather you couldn't run summer tires in year-round, I'd have probably picked an M2.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #35
albertreet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 F30

Sti or Focurs rs

I've driven the STI and the Focus RS booth are great fun, but I don't know how they'll be in a couple of years. Maybe the cheap plastic will come loose and start making noises. That's a major concern for me. I'm in the same situation as you. Trying to figure out what to get next

Best of Luck.

Last edited by albertreet; 01-22-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #36
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I'm currently on a waiting list for M2 and I'm 99% set on holding onto my spot until I get my order placed, but I can't look away from 17 STI which I like the exterior design better than M2. Obviously, I can't buy both cars given my financial situation. What are you guys honest opinions on those two cars?
I don't have a family or anything and just hopped into being a young professional for a note.
What is it so hard to decide? I am not even mentioning performance stats here.

Check out how many STi owners drooled at the M2 vs how many M2 owners drooled at the STi and you have the 'street cred' answer.

Check out how many girls look at the M2 vs the STi and you have the 'sex appeal' answer.

Test drive both and you will have the 'pure driving pleasure' answer.

On a note, do you really find the STi more visually appealing than the M2? I mean really?
Appreciate 2
juyeop93.00
evilalien447.50
      01-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #37
Lacroix1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MG

These cars are in a class of their own, I personally wouldn't think twice about being in the most exciting "M" in years, sorry Subaru, you lose in my book.

Go with your first instincts and don't look back, I'm enjoying my M2 for now. Cheers!!!!
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      01-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #38
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

On a note, do you really find the STi more visually appealing than the M2? I mean really?
Right, that park bench alone that's bolted to the trunk is enough for any unit to become flaccid or for any peach to attract tumbleweed due to excessive dryness.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #39
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I actually think the WRX is a better car overall than the STI. Newer engine, no park bench, can still be modded, etc.

But the M2 is another class than either. It is also another class in price, though. You (usually) gets whats you pays for.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #40
AKM2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I came out of the MY16 STI and into the M2. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I liked the STI just fine, but there was nothing to love about it. It didn't do anything particularly well, it just did everything ok. Even after a few light mods that dramatically improved handling, ride quality and driveability it was still just.... ok.

If you can afford the M2, you get the M2. The STI simply isn't in the same league in any respect imho.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #41
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Fix: Get the M and you won't look back !

juyeop

I can tell you for sure that a well cared for 200x E46 3 series purchased used today is a more solidly built vehicle than the 2005 Subaru Legacy AWD GT that I purchased as a my first Subaru.

It was a decent car... but personally, for the most part , I find AWD cars not as much fun to drive as RWD.. and.. I would prefer FWD also. If you are in a hot climate you don't even get the four season advantage.

The build quality of a BMW vs a Subaru is simply a different level. My Scooby was a first year model, it had a host of issues including an oil path distribution issue that eventually starved the turbo of oil. Many owners got a new turbo under the 3/36 warranty and some even after but my ( ex wife driven ) car made it to about 85k. The clutch didn't make it 60k. ( note - Don't Blame the chick behind the wheel .. her 5MT Honda Accord went to 225 K and she has put 100K on an E46 M3 6MT). We had wheel bearings fail on multiple corners of the car before the 3/36.

I rock a single profile name on forums so check the Scooby forums.

Reason for buying .. a relative worked for the company ( in quality control- no less ) at the plant in Indiana and we got the car for cost.

We dumped it at around 105K miles and 7 years or so of ownership. The final stake in the heart upon trade.. a cracked header.. i researched the repair and took a 1k loss and sold it to a Scooby dude from Oklahoma.
Thanks for your input from the experience. I'm kinda leaning toward buying M2 and leasing WRX base route. Hope WRX base isn't too far from STI in quality being lower trim
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #42
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertreet View Post
I've driven the STI and the Focus RS booth are great fun, but I don't know how they'll be in a couple of years. Maybe the cheap plastic will come loose and start making noises. That's a major concern for me. I'm in the same situation as you. Trying to figure out what to get next

Best of Luck.
Picking a car to buy is the hardest decision making process for sure man.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #43
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM2 View Post
I came out of the MY16 STI and into the M2. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I liked the STI just fine, but there was nothing to love about it. It didn't do anything particularly well, it just did everything ok. Even after a few light mods that dramatically improved handling, ride quality and driveability it was still just.... ok.

If you can afford the M2, you get the M2. The STI simply isn't in the same league in any respect imho.
You are the most qualified person to give me an opinion since you owned both. I think I'm gonna go buying M2 and leasing WRX route. I want to get a piece of WRX somehow.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #44
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
What is it so hard to decide? I am not even mentioning performance stats here.

Check out how many STi owners drooled at the M2 vs how many M2 owners drooled at the STi and you have the 'street cred' answer.

Check out how many girls look at the M2 vs the STi and you have the 'sex appeal' answer.

Test drive both and you will have the 'pure driving pleasure' answer.

Yeah. I actually do think that STI looks better, but It's not the only thing that I disagree with a majority of people on look for cars and other stuff.
Appreciate 1