BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How does catted DP affect sound?

04-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
tzargarpur
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

How does catted DP affect sound?

Currently have a N55 M2 with no mods besides an AC schnitzer exhaust. Soon I will be doing FBO / fabspeed catted downpipe. My concern is that currently my car sounds perfect in my opinion, the tone is kind of exotic and sounds intoxicating. Would a high flow catted downpipe potentially change the tone significantly, or would it just make it louder and slightly more raspy?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

With a stock exhaust, the Fabspeed catted DP is a great addition--no rasp, just louder and better (also a bit more torque). But I don't know what would happen with the Schnitzer unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzargarpur View Post
Currently have a N55 M2 with no mods besides an AC schnitzer exhaust. Soon I will be doing FBO / fabspeed catted downpipe. My concern is that currently my car sounds perfect in my opinion, the tone is kind of exotic and sounds intoxicating. Would a high flow catted downpipe potentially change the tone significantly, or would it just make it louder and slightly more raspy?
I added Fspeed DP to my mpe and its added more character wo any rasp or drone. All good

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
Seagull287.50
      04-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
By most accounts you'll get a bit deeper tone, and a bit more volume. A lot of guys choose the catted over the de-cat DP for this specific reason, they don't want any additional rasp, which you will definitely get with a de-cat DP.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

If I were only going to do one mod on my car, it would be the catted DP. Best bang for your buck in terms of sound and feel. However, unlikely you will stop there:-). I have the Fabspeed catted DP, Dinan res delete + free flow exhaust, Dinan intake, Wagner competition IC, upgraded charge pipe and BM3 tune. It has been fantastic and not one single issue to date. Great power and sound. Absolutely enjoy it and never feels like I'm pushing the car too hard but I don't track it either. Higher octane gas does also make a big difference so I treat myself to that occasionally for fun. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I don't know anything about the AC Schnitzer exhaust, but I have the Fabspeed sportcat with the MPE. I had the MPE on for a year or so before adding the downpipe. 99.999999% of my driving is with valves open, so I'm commenting and comparing to that. I don't recall ever driving with the valves close with MPE and stock downpipe, so I can't compare it.

Adding the dp made it A LOT louder and more raw over all. The pops and bangs are a ton louder and more aggressive. There is some rasp when you accelerate though the 3000-3500rpm rev range. I think it sounds amazing and adds to the character of the car. If you are lighter on the throttle through that range, it's not there. For example normal driving and cruising. It only exists during a high load... Sometimes there are really loud "gunshot esque" back fires from the car, but 95% of the time they are lower volume (though still louder than stock dp). They only appear when the car is cold, in the first 5-10 minutes of driving. After the car warms up, they get quieter. I think this is because the cooler environment in the dp and turbo promote ignition. The same reason you want higher octane and cooler boost, because the cooler environment in the cylinder makes a more powerful bang.

With the MPE valves closed, it's a ton quieter and muffled. Though still raw sounding, it's a more tame and quieter raw sound. I think MPE with fabspeed sportcat and valves closed is quieter than MPE with oem downpipe and valves open.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Catted DP really just adds volume and more pops and bangs. The tone should remain the same. I would definitely get one, I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I don't know anything about the AC Schnitzer exhaust, but I have the Fabspeed sportcat with the MPE. I had the MPE on for a year or so before adding the downpipe. 99.999999% of my driving is with valves open, so I'm commenting and comparing to that. I don't recall ever driving with the valves close with MPE and stock downpipe, so I can't compare it.

Adding the dp made it A LOT louder and more raw over all. The pops and bangs are a ton louder and more aggressive. There is some rasp when you accelerate though the 3000-3500rpm rev range. I think it sounds amazing and adds to the character of the car. If you are lighter on the throttle through that range, it's not there. For example normal driving and cruising. It only exists during a high load... Sometimes there are really loud "gunshot esque" back fires from the car, but 95% of the time they are lower volume (though still louder than stock dp). They only appear when the car is cold, in the first 5-10 minutes of driving. After the car warms up, they get quieter. I think this is because the cooler environment in the dp and turbo promote ignition. The same reason you want higher octane and cooler boost, because the cooler environment in the cylinder makes a more powerful bang.

With the MPE valves closed, it's a ton quieter and muffled. Though still raw sounding, it's a more tame and quieter raw sound. I think MPE with fabspeed sportcat and valves closed is quieter than MPE with oem downpipe and valves open.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Catted DP really just adds volume and more pops and bangs. The tone should remain the same. I would definitely get one, I love mine.
Do you guys have any concerns about bothering your neighbors? Sometimes I'll work on my car till late at night or leave early in the morning to head to the track, etc. I feel that my neighbors would hate me if I had a cold start with a sport cat on.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Do you guys have any concerns about bothering your neighbors? Sometimes I'll work on my car till late at night or leave early in the morning to head to the track, etc. I feel that my neighbors would hate me if I had a cold start with a sport cat on.
Just get a BM3 tune and turn off cold start. That solved it for me.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      04-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #10
Rondavouz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

My catted Wagner dp makes the car sound much deeper I would say.
Only catted dp on standard exhaust.

https://youtu.be/Avw8syr8byM

Last edited by Rondavouz; 04-14-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #11
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
I have a Wagner catted dp. Couple months ago I got a letter from my hoa to fix my car as its too loud or have to show up to a hoa meeting and argue my way out of an assessment. I live in a townhouse but don't think it was any of the units actually near me as I've lived here for more than 3 years and the two "new" neighbors have crotch rockets with one of them being even louder than my car.

My hoa concerns have stopped me from trading the m2 for a gt350. I need to move.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
payam007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 og

I have a remus exhaust actually and i am looking for the same modifications (stage 2 fbo).

I am also hesitating between sport car and decat, i always had decat on my previous cars but with the rest of the exhaust staying stock.

I don't want to loose the tone and get the rasp from decat, do you think the sound will remain the same (just a bit louder) with a 300cel wagner sport cat ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by payam007 View Post
I don't want to loose the tone and get the rasp from decat, do you think the sound will remain the same (just a bit louder) with a 300cel wagner sport cat?
You already know the answers to your questions.

Catted = some additional volume, no additional rasp, deeper tone
De-cat = a lot more volume, more rasp, brighter tone
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam007 View Post
I have a remus exhaust actually and i am looking for the same modifications (stage 2 fbo).

I am also hesitating between sport car and decat, i always had decat on my previous cars but with the rest of the exhaust staying stock.

I don't want to loose the tone and get the rasp from decat, do you think the sound will remain the same (just a bit louder) with a 300cel wagner sport cat ?

thanks
I also have the Remus and having gone from a 200cell cat to catless, i can tell you that you will get louder sound.

In terms of rasp, it is only slightly more rasp if you're comparing high rpm WOT or normal, tame street driving.
At low rpm parking lot speeds the rasp is noticeably more but that's the nature of catless and low rpms

I'm thinking of going back to 200 or 300 cell cat because there are no benefits of going catless except for maybe if you're someone who wants extreme aggressive burbles
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #15
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Good point. I'll probably do BM3 at some point in the future, when my warranty is closer to expiring
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #16
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good point. I'll probably do BM3 at some point in the future, when my warranty is closer to expiring
The tune is really great. I've enjoyed it on the car and I've had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You already know the answers to your questions.

Catted = some additional volume, no additional rasp, deeper tone
De-cat = a lot more volume, more rasp, brighter tone
This ^

Quote:
The tune is really great. I've enjoyed it on the car and I've had no issues.
+1 for Bootmod3

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Stock exhaust comes to life it's actually really good and turns heads. Takes on an exotic sound as you climb past 3000rpm.

Does release power which is noticeable then ofc you get used to it.

Way more burbles come through and the occasional pop (just enough that it's cheeky but not overbearing) when totally hammering the car/letting off throttle suddenly above 4500 rpm.

Cold starts are savage, like wake the dead loud. Your neighbours may hate you.

A good mod I run the Milltek which has HJS 300 core. Passed my UK MOT/emissions test fine.
Appreciate 0