M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins knocking

09-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #67
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
My noisy ohlins have been back at the distributor for a few weeks now, they found nothing wrong. costing me a lot getting them removed, reinstalled etc

Not particularly impressed. It's creaking noise at low speed, for example reversing from garage, and when turning steering.
The other is a clunk, when taking off from stationary. all can be heard in cabin and felt through steering.

They will be reinstalled next week and I'll post back findings.
      09-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #68
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
ashtaron14 thanks for the info. What type of noise was it making at slow speeds?

Also I don't see how transmission choice affects the noise besides a bit of added weight.
Actually, I didn't notice any noise at low speeds. But my installer said that the other 4 sets he installed to DCT M2/M2C, their owners all reported low speed noises. I also don't see how transmission choice affects NVH, but that's what I got from my installer.

Of course if it doesn't cost me anything to have them rebuilt, as it's within the warranty period, I'm going to take it.

Last edited by ashtaron14; 09-05-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #69
cmktony
Rep
Drives: m235

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
My noisy ohlins have been back at the distributor for a few weeks now, they found nothing wrong. costing me a lot getting them removed, reinstalled etc

Not particularly impressed. It's creaking noise at low speed, for example reversing from garage, and when turning steering.
The other is a clunk, when taking off from stationary. all can be heard in cabin and felt through steering.

They will be reinstalled next week and I'll post back findings.
like me before, the knock kncok sound happen under 15km/h, after check many times, ohlins asia suggest change this parts, the sound is gone now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      09-08-2019, 12:41 AM   #70
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmktony View Post
like me before, the knock kncok sound happen under 15km/h, after check many times, ohlins asia suggest change this parts, the sound is gone now.
Thank you for the info - do you know what the part is called?
      09-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #71
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmktony View Post
it is waiting for me, my sound has amplified, and now it is knocking very loudly. I understand this is reinforced bushings.?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #72
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I don't know how to get more information, but I found this TSB for front end creaking.

2018 BMW M2 axle assembly TSB (Bulletin B310318)
Bulletin Date: Jul. 1, 2018
Component: Axle assembly.
Bulletin Summary: Cracking noise from front of vehicle while turning or parking: cracking noises heard from the area of the front axle when rotating the steering while stationary or at low speed.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2016 BMW M2, 2017 BMW M2, 2018 BMW M2, 2015 BMW M3, 2016 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M3, 2018 BMW M3, 2015 BMW M4, 2016 BMW M4, 2017 BMW M4, 2018 BMW M4.
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #73
Leonidm2
Private
Rep

you should know this when I created this thread, I immediately said that when installing the Ohlins kit I immediately had a knock at a low speed which intensified over time, my guys at the station immediately said that this was a shock absorber rod backlash. I sent them under warranty for Ohlins, they checked them and said that everything was in ok, but they sent me 2 new shock absorbers, which I installed and got the same result. Over time, the backlash reached such a size that it was not possible to ride.I sent them to the guys who are repairing the suspension. And they were very surprised, the backlash was very strong, they took them apart and said that Ohlins uses cheap ptfe bushes, which they put to people when they repair cheap suspension and want to do it for cheaper. Now I replaced the bushings with better ones, and replaced the grease. it once again cost me money. a lot of negative has accumulated during this time, I don’t understand why they pretend that everything is fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #74
Leonidm2
Private
Rep

Foto
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MR RIZK756.50
x233284.00
specka71.00
      11-12-2019, 02:08 AM   #75
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

For the guys that are running ground control camber plates without an issue, are you using the supplied bearing spacer between the strut and spherical bearing on your camber plates?

Last edited by jashton; 11-12-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #76
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
you should know this when I created this thread, I immediately said that when installing the Ohlins kit I immediately had a knock at a low speed which intensified over time, my guys at the station immediately said that this was a shock absorber rod backlash. I sent them under warranty for Ohlins, they checked them and said that everything was in ok, but they sent me 2 new shock absorbers, which I installed and got the same result. Over time, the backlash reached such a size that it was not possible to ride.I sent them to the guys who are repairing the suspension. And they were very surprised, the backlash was very strong, they took them apart and said that Ohlins uses cheap ptfe bushes, which they put to people when they repair cheap suspension and want to do it for cheaper. Now I replaced the bushings with better ones, and replaced the grease. it once again cost me money. a lot of negative has accumulated during this time, I don’t understand why they pretend that everything is fine?
I've been without my Coilovers for 4 months now. They refused to replace them, they won't respond to my emails, they won't reimburse me for the cost of the removal and shipping of the part even though they've now identified they were faulty.

What's worse is the first time they checked them they said they were fine and I was about to drop another $800 for them to be reinstalled and car properly set up. Luckily I found this thread.

Its not a gripe with Ohlins its actually the local distributor here.

Once this part was replaced the issue was gone.

Last edited by specka; 08-02-2021 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #77
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Hey specka totally understand the frustration and the loss of $$ and time. I'm assuming u bought the coil overs new and when u say refurbish they are are refurbishing your set so in essence they are are still sorta new. (Just assuming) I would be ok with this. Finding the issue is 3/4 of the battle. I hope you can get past the frustration, get them sorted and enjoy the car.

If they replaced it with new ones wouldn't u just end up with another set of faulty ones?

I see u are in AU. Did u buy from OS or from Chris @ Prospeed out of curiosity?

Ohlins was my go to suspension however based on this thread I have changed my plans. Thank you all and I hope everyone gets sorted as they are an awesome damper.
      11-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #78
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have decided not to go with this brand because of the amount of negativities on this thread.

I will go with either the M Performance suspension or Bilstein Club Sport

Hope you guys' issues get sorted out soon
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
Kankles1484.50
      11-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #79
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I will go with either the M Performance suspension or Bilstein Club Sport
If u are interested to get them tweaked for the M2 and are ok for used.

FS: Tested Track Set-Up Bilstein Clubsports https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1673496
      12-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #80
touchmyhonda
Smooth is fast
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ - 13 Golf R - 16 S4

Subbed for the future!
      12-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #81
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

Delete post...

Last edited by jashton; 12-13-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #82
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Well, replaced the stiffening plate bolts, strut carrier bolts, and tightened the axle supports and still have the same sound. We actually tightened the carrier bolts 1/4 turn past torque spec and the creaking got a little quieter. So my mechanic seems to think the tolerance on my KW V3's is a little off. Which, I bought them NIB off of the classified section here, so I got no warranty.
Writing to update that my creaking is 100% gone and went away on it's own. I stopping thinking about it since my last post here, but was thinking about it again in the last week. "Hey, I haven't heard the creaking in a while. Did my brain drown it out or is it gone?" So I've had it on my mind for the last week as something to listen and test for, and I'm happy to say it is no present at all anymore.

Now, is that because it's winter now and the cold temps changed the metal tolerances... I dunno. Guess I have to update again when summer comes back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #83
Kingkow
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I'm at a loss as well, been chasing this for over a month now.

Wife has a 2018 M2.

Setup:
Vorshlag Camber Plates
Ohlins R&T with the plastic spring seat washer on the bottom and rubber spring washer at the top (all included parts)

Low speed the driver side seems to be clunking.

I've already tried a few steps:

-Remove endlinks, still had noise.
-Retorqued everything including arms and set load on arms
-Reassemble everything by disassembling.
-Swap sides (ohlins pass <==> driver but same camber plate but no endlinks)

All have been failures to remove the knocking on the driver side.

One note: full stiff setting on the Ohlins, altered the noise pitch/loudness but it was still present.

I think tomorrow I'll try using the stock shock to see if that eliminates the noise.

I'm stumped!
I have the KW DDC and seem to suffer from the same noise. Only on the driver side. Torqued everything back and I still can't find the source of the issue. Does it really need new bolts as some have recommended?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #84
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

I just installed a set of Ohlins on my M2 too and am having the same issue on the passenger side, the driver side endlink snapped when i turned the wheel all the way left while it was in the air, Im not sure if i installed them wrong or if its an issue with ohlins themselves but im very upset by this. Spent so much money for it to not work properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #85
Alpenracer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 17' 6MT / BMW 325i 87'

You installed them wrong. You need to set the link on the strut, wich the endlink is bolted too, in the correct angle, so the endlink is sitting like with the oem suspension. This should be clear when installing coilovers.

I also run the Öhlins for over a year now, also on track. Never had any issues and the car is an absolute blast and very capable with this suspension.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #86
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

I’ve got Ohlins RT and Vorshlag plates.. have had the clunking/knocking ever since they were installed. It’s most noticeable at low speed going up highway off ramps, especially where there’s large asphalt joins in the surface.

My shop thinks it’s mostly due to the metal on metal design of the Vorshlags.

Personally I just try to ignore it - the Ohlins performance is so good that I have decided to live with it... but I’d much rather it not be there of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #87
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

I had this issue when i installed my ohlins last weekend. A clunking noise when going over any bump. I couldn't figure out what it was but after this thread i suspected it was the top hat, more specifically the top locking nut. I took my impact gun and torqued it down at the fasting setting. Went for a test drive and the noise was gone. After that i took it to my mechanic and had him further tighten the bolt with his pneumatic impact gun just to be safe. one way you may be able to tell its the top bolt is by counting the threads, if one side has less than the other it may be loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #88
SimonBam
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Hi just too add some balance, I've been running OHlins R+Ts ion my M2c w/ Ground Control plates and they are just fine - no knocks no problems.