BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Fix rim damage

08-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #45
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Here is the before and after for the repair Son did, finally figured out the photo thing
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:06 AM   #46
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Here is the before and after on the loose wheel that Son did for me, yes a few weeks after the I got the car I curbed a wheel and was so upset I just bought a new one, $800. The good thing is Son fixed this one perfectly also so I will keep it as my spare. I am hoping I can avoid the curbs now but stuff happens, curbed 2 wheels in 17,000 miles, hoping I can go the next 17 without any incidents.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #47
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
We cannot see your photos unfortunately...

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #48
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Son Tran company name was Onsite Wheels in Garden Grove, CA. The last time I contacted him, he was only working out of a shop so I’m not sure if he does mobile service any more. He was doing work for car/tire dealers onsite/mobile.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #49
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
Son Tran company name was Onsite Wheels in Garden Grove, CA. The last time I contacted him, he was only working out of a shop so I’m not sure if he does mobile service any more. He was doing work for car/tire dealers onsite/mobile.
Correct, he doesn't do any mobile work at all. He told me after 18 years of driving all over LA he couldn't do it anymore so he just works out of this shop. Well worth the drive though.

Sorry about the photos, they worked for a couple of days but apparently the hosting site wants me to pay a fee to have them appear here, photobucket used to work but now they want 500 bucks a year for 3rd party hosting. Anyone know of other sites that do this?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #50
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-st View Post
there are plenty of mobile repair shops here in Los Angeles...
My friend's curbed one of his wheels (M2), and he was able to find someone to fix for him for $100.
It is not going to be perfect, but you can hardly notice that it's ever happened before!
Trust me, don't waste your money (to buy a new rim, send it to dealership or bodyshop for repair), a mobile repair shop can do the work.
may I please have the name of the place he used? I found these guys but if they have matched this wheel before I would rather use them. thx

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ace-auto-re...ir-los-angeles
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #51
bdogbmw
Rep
Drives: alpine white m2

Just wanted to add to this thread. Just bought my M2 and curbed the rim the first week.
Pretty sick about it of course.. Thank God for this post.. I was about to plunk down 800 for a new rim. Decided to give Son Tran at On site wheel repair in LA. a try.. It was like it never happened. Seriously could tell where the damage was before the repair. If you're in the LA area or nearby, this is definitely the place to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #52
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogbmw View Post
Just wanted to add to this thread. Just bought my M2 and curbed the rim the first week.
Pretty sick about it of course.. Thank God for this post.. I was about to plunk down 800 for a new rim. Decided to give Son Tran at On site wheel repair in LA. a try.. It was like it never happened. Seriously could tell where the damage was before the repair. If you're in the LA area or nearby, this is definitely the place to go.
^^^THIS X 100% - would also like to note what a nice/kind person he is and also that ikea and the $6 meatball lunch is not far away lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #53
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Does anyone know a good way to polish the black paint?'ine is showing some light scratches ....

Im located in Atlanta area
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #54
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Refreshing this thread...has anyone found a reputable shop in the Phoenix area that can repair curb rash on the 437M wheels? I searched the forum thoroughly, found this thread and the high praise for Son Tran, but hoping to avoid the long drive. I got a quote from someone locally, who coincidentally did another M2 wheel for someone else and sent me before & after photos, but they confessed to having difficulty matching the tinted finish. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #55
greb
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp

Did it today, curbed my m437 wheel..

I doubt to have them repaired. I myself now know that it is there, and I am irritated by it. I touched it a bit with a grayish paint, but it is still visible.

Picture:
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #56
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Through the course of my ownership, I ended with an entire set of damaged 437m wheels. One because I tried spinning the rear out a bit too aggressively in the rain and hit a curb with the front wheel. Both passenger sides from someone sideswiping and fish-tailing me. And the other rear, I don't remember how it happened. The damage was relatively minor on most of the wheels, but I went ahead and got all 4 repaired so they'd all match.

I took them to my local dealer and he sent them out somewhere. I got them back in a little over a week. It cost me $952 for all four. Which I thought was a bit expensive. I was expecting to pay $400-500. But I can't tell at all where the damage was on even the most damaged wheel. Like, there was seriously deep damage in the wheel I hit the curb with.

They definitely don't match the OEM wheels. The tint on the refinished ones is a little darker. And the clearcoat is on thicker and they are glossier. Also, they didn't paint/clearcoat the outer barrels, so they are just bare metal. Had my winter tires mounted to them today and all the wheel weights are consistent. Meaning the most damaged wheel that was repaired isn't out of natural balance and requiring more weights than the other wheels.

But overall, I'm glad I did all 4. Even though the damage was minor on some wheels. Just so I have a set that all matches.

At that price though, I don't know. It may be better find a used set of wheels. Piece together the good ones to complete a set, then refinish and resell the damaged ones. Haven't ran the numbers.
Appreciate 1
JMAC5150129.50