BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 interior shows DCT, blue contrast stitching, M steering wheel

07-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #221
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

If the M2 drives like the 1M, the complaints are going to evaporate fast.
      07-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #222
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
The console gear lever does not appear to be an 8AT gear lever. It appears to be a DCT gear lever. I don't see Park anywhere.

The photo shows the difference.
The X5/6M has the same gear lever as a DCT, yet it's an 8AT. That's the whole reason why we don't quite know what it really is.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #223
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
A clear sign cf the eight speed auto vs M-DCT.

Just like the M235i Racing.
The console gear lever does not appear to be an 8AT gear lever. It appears to be a DCT gear lever. I don't see Park anywhere.

The photo shows the difference.
The lever means nothing. Go look at the X5M/X6M.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #224
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
6MT for me all the way, so I have little care on the matter
+1. I am in the same boat.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #225
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Parked next to a new Camry today, it has black leather with red stitching... Just saying...
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #226
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Parked next to a new Camry today, it has black leather with red stitching... Just saying...
Parked next to a new P1 today, it has black leather with yellow stitching... Just saying...
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #227
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
+1. His success is pretty good. I'd trust him before I trust anyone else, not to mention the tricks that BMW might be pulling.
That man is golden.
      07-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #228
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Parked next to a new P1 today, it has black leather with yellow stitching... Just saying...
I realize you're kidding, but that's sort of the point. If cars at the cheap and not-so-cheap ends of the spectrum all have contrast stitching, why is blue stitching on the seats such a big deal. IMO, there are many details of way greater importance
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #229
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I realize you're kidding, but that's sort of the point. If cars at the cheap and not-so-cheap ends of the spectrum all have contrast stitching, why is blue stitching on the seats such a big deal. IMO, there are many details of way greater importance
It's a big deal to some because a few months back it was revealed that the car would only get black seats with blue stitching. Blue being symbolic of the "M" brand as it is an "M" color. Like bright blue is associated with Maserati.
So, if your only choice is black seats, and the blue stitching symbolizes "M", people are going to go on about it. Especially when you don't have much of choice in terms of seat colors.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #230
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
If all the performance aspects are there; they get the engine right, it sounds good, drives well, and has a 'raw' driving experience, who honestly gives a flying f*ck about the god damn contrasting seat stitching and the other minor details you are all whining about? Oh yea I forgot, because that's what an M car is about, the color of the stitching on the seats. But what if the stitching doesn't perfectly match the steering wheel stitching??? Oh my god, it's the death of the M car as we know it!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #231
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Compared to my Focus ST Recaro seats, my m235i seats aren't that good. With deeper bolstering, the m235i seats would be totally adequate. They don't need to be the m3/m4 seats IMO.

I wouldn't give up all hope. The i3, which is made in the same factory as the m235i (and the upcoming M2), uses lower cost, easier to make, less aesthetic carbon fiber. I've seen it in person and it looks nothing like the stuff in the m3/m4 roof. The i3's carbon fiber is straight up ugly. If any external body panels where made out of the i3-style carbon fiber they'd need to be painted.

I honestly don't care about being able to see the fiber anyway. This is supposed to be the ultimate driver's car, not a status symbol.
Most carbon fiber used by companies has a layer of cosmetic carbon weave over it to make sure it looks "pretty" if it isnt going to be painted, it may be, like you said, BMW is going with lower cost carbon layup and not using a cosmetic layup that in the end would save them money. BMW has invested in SGL to make them the largest carbon fiber manufacturers in the world, with the capacity to make around 18 million pounds of carbon fiber a year so i think BMW isn't going to be shy with what they use carbon fiber on.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #232
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
If all the performance aspects are there; they get the engine right, it sounds good, drives well, and has a 'raw' driving experience, who honestly gives a flying f*ck about the god damn contrasting seat stitching and the other minor details you are all whining about? Oh yea I forgot, because that's what an M car is about, the color of the stitching on the seats. But what if the stitching doesn't perfectly match the steering wheel stitching??? Oh my god, it's the death of the M car as we know it!!!
Good. Since you don't care about the package, why not just buy this instead, it's only $45,500 and has everything you seem to care about in spades:

07-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #233
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Good. Since you don't care about the package, why not just buy this instead, it's only $45,500 and has everything you seem to care about in spades:

Point is, if it has all the M driving characteristics, who's really going to be bent outta shape about an interior that didn't quite live up to expectations? If it has something like the 1M did, which had very, very minor interior changes from the non-M 1 series, that'll be enough to please the people that will buy this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #234
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
And I agree with you. But to some people, "it has blue stitching on the seats".
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #235
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
"I want special seats... Not the same as M235i."
"I want special/dual clutch."
"I want this and that or no sale!"

You all sound like you have special needs

This M2 is entry-level M, at entry-level M pricing. If you want the upscale equipment, buy the upscale car.

Signed, a former 1M owner.
How is it unreasonable to want M seats and MDCT in an M car? I agree that if people are expecting a CF roof and driveshaft or something they will probably be disappointed, but I mean I don't think wanting M seats is unreasonable at all.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #236
loxxrider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, CTTS, 200 20v...

I don't think a carbon driveshaft is even that unreasonable considering that a 1991 Audi 90 came with one from the factory 24 years ago.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #237
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
"I want special seats... Not the same as M235i."
"I want special/dual clutch."
"I want this and that or no sale!"

You all sound like you have special needs

This M2 is entry-level M, at entry-level M pricing. If you want the upscale equipment, buy the upscale car.

Signed, a former 1M owner.
How is it unreasonable to want M seats and MDCT in an M car? I agree that if people are expecting a CF roof and driveshaft or something they will probably be disappointed, but I mean I don't think wanting M seats is unreasonable at all.
It's not unreasonable at all, don't bother explaining.
But let's play out the reverse use case, the ///M division would like to charge YOU ///M money therefore they need to deliver ///M performance.
Some are saying it's the entry level so be it. The hardcore enthusiasts that want a smaller lighter chassis and are willing to pay extra get shafted.
Porsche in the meantime has the GT4!
Any questions?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #238
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Point is, if it has all the M driving characteristics, who's really going to be bent outta shape about an interior that didn't quite live up to expectations? If it has something like the 1M did, which had very, very minor interior changes from the non-M 1 series, that'll be enough to please the people that will buy this car.
And my point is there are obviously many cars aimed at those who want the purest driving experience for cheaper. It's even more unreasonable to expect a BMW to be a purely driver's car these days than it is to expect them to be aesthetically pleasing - M or not. You're paying a premium for the car but are OK with them delivering something you can probably get for cheaper. That's your choice and I'm fine with it, but some of us expect it to still be a premium executive car at $60k. There's nothing "entry-level" about a $60k car. That ship sailed $40,000 ago. So, yeah if I'm paying that, the last thing I want is for someone to step into my car and be like, "ehhh you paid how much for this?" Just being honest.
      07-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #239
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

'Executive car'? Umm.. no. This is a 2 series. Young professionals and all that. This is the entry level car. If you're looking to impress the non-initiated with your financial wherewithal this isn't the right car. Much of the value is hidden to all but the enthusiast and Buffy just isn't going to get it.

At the other end of the spectrum, like many, the only time mine would see a track is on special open track days. Still, fast on backroads, up/down the local mountain, and long-legged desert runs may make it worth the price of admission. And I'm starting to wonder about what magic could happen with a slightly lighter car. Nothing like a little blind optimism..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #240
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

LOL at all these people bickering about the stitching on a seat in a pre production interior of a test car
Appreciate 3
      07-10-2015, 03:41 AM   #241
Swiss Chris
Member crafted at BMW ///M
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DKG M3, M3 GTS, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
It's not unreasonable at all, don't bother explaining.
But let's play out the reverse use case, the ///M division would like to charge YOU ///M money therefore they need to deliver ///M performance.
Some are saying it's the entry level so be it. The hardcore enthusiasts that want a smaller lighter chassis and are willing to pay extra get shafted.
Porsche in the meantime has the GT4!
Any questions?

Just what I tried to explain 10 pages ago, but only a few people here seem to understand the difference between serial and optional Equipment.

It also looks impossible for those people to understand that maybe some people want an M2 because they prefer it over the M4 and not (or not only) because the M2 is cheaper.

When I see how lots of 1M's look today (in Switerland, Germany, USA...) loaded with special wheels, Recaro seats, carbone everywhere, KW suspensions, 400+hp prepared engines, Akrapovic Evolution... Seems clear to me that the only goal of the owners was to have a cheap ///M

Some even told me it was impossible for BMW to add on the M2 some equipments available on the M4. Sure it's too complicate for a company as BMW, in 2015, to plug M4 seats or CCB brakes on the M2
      07-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #242
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Eh, the M4 has M seats and yet we see people installing Recaros and whatnot. I'm not fussed about M Sport seats. For me, they're totally fine.
Appreciate 0