BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > I got a little slower, what did I do wrong?

04-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #1
mshale
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata, Mazda CX-5

I had a stock 2018 that I took to barber in Alabama. I timed laps and monitored braking zone entry speeds that weekend. I have since only given the car a BM3 tune, DS2500 pads, and replaced the tires with Michelin PS4S is the stock sizes.

The car felt slower, and it was. I was about 5 mph slower at the end of the straights. I noticed that the traction light was blinking for about 1/4 of the straight. Even if I backed off my normal throttle input.

What should I change for next month?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
I had a stock 2018 that I took to barber in Alabama. I timed laps and monitored braking zone entry speeds that weekend. I have since only given the car a BM3 tune and replaced the tires with Michelin PS4S is the stock sizes.

The car felt slower, and it was. I was about 5 mph slower at the end of the straights. I noticed that the traction light was blinking for about 1/4 of the straight. Even if I backed off my normal throttle input.

What should I change for next month?

Ambient conditions make a huge difference especially in a turbo car and especially in an N55 M2. It if is warmer now then your baseline runs you can definitely see a drop off in vmax. Also adding a tune to an OG can sometimes be counterproductive on the track. They can introduce more heat into the system and the car pulls timing sooner as IATs climb reducing power. If you have a way to log oil, water, & intake temps that could really help to see if and when this occurring.

Typically when the dsc trips like that on a straight it is because the front tire diameter is greater than the rear. With stock sizes though shouldn't be happening. Throwing any errors/codes?

Also you might reach out to CrashFL and pick his brain on OG M2 peculiarities at Barber. He has a very nicely setup up OG and has run there a decent amount recently.
Appreciate 1
mshale3.00
      04-15-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
mshale
United_States
Rep

That’s the odd thing. Temps were about the same, so that’s why I decided to use this one as the comparison. I did the first one on a warm November day, and this one was a cool April day. About 50-75 on both days. I had also read that there could be issues with traction and a square wheel and tire setup, so that’s why I opted to keep the stock wheels and just get new tires.

Come to think of it, this most recent time, the traction light blinked until it the transmission shifted. I didn’t try and shift myself - not sure why I just thought of that test.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

You tuned an otherwise stock OG and took it to the track. The stock intercooler usually isn't enough to keep stock timing optimal at the track let alone when tuned. The car was probably pulling timing due to intake air temps rising too quickly.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a bigger/better flowing intercooler for the next track event and see if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2023, 09:16 PM   #5
mshale
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post
You tuned an otherwise stock OG and took it to the track. The stock intercooler usually isn't enough to keep stock timing optimal at the track let alone when tuned. The car was probably pulling timing due to intake air temps rising too quickly.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a bigger/better flowing intercooler for the next track event and see if that helps.
I just took a look at the videos I got, and I just discovered that Track Addict was logging data, and I didn’t even know it! Looks like you are correct. Intake temps were much higher than I expected. It also looks like it has throttle position logged also but it appears to be actual instead of pedal percent.

I have a temp problem for sure and an intercooler is on the way. I still think something is up with the traction control the way it was flashing all the way up to the gear change on the straights.

Thanks for the input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0