BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Turbo E36 M3 -- It's under the knife!!.....I EXCITE!

10-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #133
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

OK good cuz that could be easily overlooked when changing between turbos, you would be amazed at how much smoke can come out when it is overlooked.

And I'm telling you, just snap all the bolts off the turbine housing and pull it off you will be able to drill them out then. Look at this imagine to see what I mean. http://www.gpopshop.com/kkkkitweb.jpg
      10-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #134
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
OK good cuz that could be easily overlooked when changing between turbos, you would be amazed at how much smoke can come out when it is overlooked.

And I'm telling you, just snap all the bolts off the turbine housing and pull it off you will be able to drill them out then. Look at this imagine to see what I mean. http://www.gpopshop.com/kkkkitweb.jpg

back from my vacation (which was AWESOME!!!!)

tore into the car tonight, drained the oil, some coolant, removed the downpipe, wastegate pipe, charge pipe and turbo.

soaked that little bastard down with PB and managed to snap or remove all but 1 bolt. This thing is goal for tomorrow. I now hate that bolt.

It will be removed.
      10-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #135
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Glad you had an awesome vacation. Everyone deserves some time to theirselves. Now, get that beast on the road
      10-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #136
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Glad you had an awesome vacation. Everyone deserves some time to theirselves. Now, get that beast on the road
thanks! it was a fantastic time. Here are a few pics

also, I was in boost withdrawal so I went and drove the car for about 15 minutes Monday, even with a massive pre-turbo boost leak, it was pulling like a beast at 14psi....spinning through 3rd gear at WOT.

from the trip

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Austin City Limits then to Big Sky, MT to visit my brother. We had a fantastic 4 day fishing and hunting escapade that ended up with 51 downed and collected ducks and dozens of huge trout. God that was an amazing time. It was the 1st trip for my friend Ben to Montana and he was just in shock at the scenary and the wildlife the whole time. I told him it would be like that!!!

A few quick pics of my trip to Montana.......I have already edited over 100 pics from the trip that can be found here: http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...view=slideshow

Lone Peak in Big Sky

This was our take on only 2 mornings duck hunting the Missouri River in Montana....i'm on the right, my brother on the left.

34 ducks!!! Mallards, Gadwalls, Widgeon, Wood ducks, Blue and Green wing Teal, pintails, ring necks, buffleheads, shoveler.....you name it we got it.

The fishing on the Missouri was off the hook!!!

My brother holding up Ben's 23" brown trout, what a pig!

Nice dark male rainbow

Big 21" Brown that Ben caught

The scenary wasnt half bad either!

and then there was this monster.....

My brothers RO drift boat, this thing is amazing.

My 1st Brown Trout in the boat

My 1st rainbow for the trip

A super colorful 21 1/2" Brown Trout that I caught

Framing this pic in 8x10 for my "gallery" downstairs

our fearless chocolate lab Sage, what a good dog she was

10-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #137
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Looks like an awesome trip!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #138
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Looks like an awesome trip!

god was it ever......very memorable
      10-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #139
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Place looks amazing, must have been insanely fun there.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #140
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

well newest update. Spent the last 2 days working on the turbo off the car and now have 2 bolts that are in different levels of being drilled out.

I'm taking it to a machine shop tomorrow to get drilled out and retapped. the drill bits and taps I purchased today simply dont work on the exhaust housing metal. Oh well......we tried realllllly hard to do it ourselves.

Time to pay someone else
      10-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #141
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

exhaust housing at machine shop, might have it back this afternoon
      10-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #142
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I EXCITE!
      10-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #143
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

sweet pics!
      10-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #144
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

car was back on the road last night after several new custom pieces arrived. Its a beast......

I still have a smaller pre-turbo exhaust leak that I need to sort out, a leaky vacuum hose on the boost controller, and many other little items that need fiddling with, but for now even at 11psi its a rocket.

If I get the exhaust leak fixed I'll get her on the dyno next week
      10-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #145
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

very nice
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #146
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

wastegate piping came back off and I installed new studs in the exhaust manifold. Existing ones were trashed.

got a better seal on the WG now and fixed a boost leak. Also found that one of the boost controller vacuum lines was actually burnt through!! Fixed that and now I can actually control boost like I thought I should have.

its a beast....putting it on dyno soon
      10-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #147
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
wastegate piping came back off and I installed new studs in the exhaust manifold. Existing ones were trashed.

got a better seal on the WG now and fixed a boost leak. Also found that one of the boost controller vacuum lines was actually burnt through!! Fixed that and now I can actually control boost like I thought I should have.

its a beast....putting it on dyno soon
woohoo can't wait!
      10-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #148
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
woohoo can't wait!
me neither

its just a baseline on lower boost, wrong intake manifold, pre-meth and retune dyno.

but i'm still hoping for somewhere in the 430-450whp at 13psi on pump. judging by my butt dyno, thats not a problem.
      10-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #149
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
me neither

its just a baseline on lower boost, wrong intake manifold, pre-meth and retune dyno.

but i'm still hoping for somewhere in the 430-450whp at 13psi on pump. judging by my butt dyno, thats not a problem.
i take it you have the manifold and just haven't installed it yet? if not, my brother is selling his M50 manifold (or whatever it is you S52 guys upgrade to) if you need one. he bought it before he decided to have it custom fabricated, and now has no use for it. that's probably a silly question given that you've come this far, but i thought i'd let you know on the off chance that you don't have one handy.

Last edited by 94JZA80; 10-27-2009 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #150
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
i take it you have the manifold and just haven't installed it yet? if not, my brother is selling his M50 manifold (or whatever it is you S52 guys upgrade to) if you need one. he bought it before he decided to have it custom fabricated, and now has no use for it. that's probably a silly given that you've come this far, but i thought i'd let you know on the off chance that you don't have one handy.

lol...yeah I've had one sitting in my foyer closet for the past 4 months collecting dust. Its about time I take a day to install it.

thanks for the info though
      10-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #151
Justin Credible
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2001 740il

wow, nice pics, looks like fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #152
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Well the car started developing all the symptoms of a blown head gasket late last year, so I started a tear down last week to replace it, o-ring the block for more boost, add in arp2000 studs and reinstall everything.

Also pulled the tranny and driveshaft, having the tranny rebuilt a bit for better shifting and new guibo. pulling the clutch and flywheel to replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket, do a oil pump nut fix, etc. New stainless brake lines as well.

Once its all back together after the head is back from the machine shop it will be time for one more piece of custom charge pipe with a new BOV, then install the meth kit and get ready for tuning. Lots to do and not much time!!!

==========================

Tear down beginning

Hey guys,
my MLS from the original TT stg II kit seemed to let go somewhere in the cyl 5 or 6 area...not sure yet, we'll see.

I'm going to keep this thread active to post questions etc on my progress, i'm sure I'll have many!

Started tonight on the tear down and made some pretty good progress! This is starting to get more routine on this car for me which is nice. I'm about to venture into new territory for me so this will get interesting.

Using my little waterprooof digi instead of my big Nikon so the pics are not nearly as clear , I'll bring the Nikon for the next work session.

Exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe w/ wastegate are out. as you can see the car has leaking/weeping oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Both will be addressed before the car is back on the road. Also going to pull the tranny and rebuild the shift pins, I believe they are causing the tranny to feel really sloppy while in gear.

exhaust mani

dont see any leaks on these gaskets but the damned wastegate pipe is leaking again. I'll have both flanges decked when the head is decked to assure a clean/flat surface.

Turbo is out

Coolant leaking at cyl 6

getting ready for the top end tear down....best work light ever :buttrock

Valve cover is off, things look good up here to me but i'm no expert. No sludge or metal shavings. There is a little wear on the cam lobes but doesnt look bad to me for 86k miles....what do you think??

s52 intake mani is off thank god, what a mess!!!

Intake on cyl 5 and 6

cyl 6

some sludge from excessive turbo oil blow by....blown seals ftl

where I left it for tonight, vanos cover ready to come off and timing going to be locked in....this is where the new territory starts for me :eyecrazy

01-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #153
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

and last nights progress....things look very good inside the motor...im pretty stoked about that.

=============

got the head off tonight w Ryan's help. Not sure it would have happened w/ out him there!

my impressions, not an easy job for sure, lot of little delicate parts that could be broken for sure. Need to keep all the bolts, nuts, etc organized during the job so you know where they go for reassembly.

tranny is out, Ryan is taking it to work tomorrow to redo the shift pins...he rocks.

clutch

vanos cover coming off

our BMW special tool part #029494nail

cam chains

coming off

honestly the chains, sprockets, and tensioners were the only confusing part of removing the head, but you dont want to f them up!

cams coming out

bare head

all cylinders how we found them

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Cyl 4

Cyl 5

Cyl 6

and here is the damaged MLS head gasket, it almost looks like something in the coolant damaged the gasket and lead to its destruction!

you can clearly see where the coolant was entering cylinders 5 and mainly 6

the good news is the motors appears to be very healthy still, no visible wear on the cylinders, you can even still see the cross hatched machine marks after 86k miles!

a little cleaner and super fine steel wool and cyl 1 looked literally good as new!

and cyl 6 gets the same treatment, it looks a little worse than cyl 1 but it cleaned up 100x easier, must have been the coolant working the grime loose

Overall I am VERY pleased with the condition of the motor after tear down....please let me know if you guys see anything that I should pay attention to or be alarmed by.

bare head and wastegate piping ready to head to the machine shop

next step is to o-ring the block!
      01-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #154
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Look at all that gook.

A little secret. Ball bearings.
Appreciate 0